Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Santa Cruz is about 2 hours away. Was gonna be driving up north to washington and was thinking of stopping over in Bend Oregon at cvt and snagging one. Santa cruz is closer .

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
Nothing bad to say about the CVT guys, they seem very cool. I do know Evan and the Tepui guys and they provide a great service... and oh, they throw a helluva party at Hollister once a year called Tepuifest. Bands, food, trail runs (HHSVRA) and a pretty family friendly good time... just saying'... :-)

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

We have had the RTT for a few years now. Having to pack up each day before going on a run is a drag but if you are moving camp each day you are packing up anyway. I am thinking about building a trailer and swap the RTT from the Rover to the trailer depending on the trip. I purchased my tent from a guy in Pasadena CA. I can't find his website (I will do more searching) something like "tentsonaroof.com". Paid $500 for the two man. My buddy paid $750 for the three man with the annex. I built our annex. Very happy with the quality and my research mirrored what some have said about all the tents coming from one or two factories in China. There is also a manufacture in California and one in Africa. Check what the floor material is made from. Some makers are using heavy particle board! We don't notice the weight at all (114#) on the roof when off road. I do hear the wind noise on the FWY. Good luck with the dogs, these tents are pretty tight sleeping. It's a drag to have to climb the ladder at night to make a bathroom run.

Attachments

Reactions: SLO Rob

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Oh cool! I'll check that out.
I'd obviously would like to buy American made. I usually try and find that first but kind of assumed they were all from China by default.

The bottoms, something else I didn't consider. Would I be wring in assuming that a metal bottom would be desirable?

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I went with an OzTent RV4 because of the quick setup/teardown. Plus, you can leave it as a base camp while you explore without the extra load on top. The base tent comes with a canopy. Side panels are extra, but haven't really had a need for those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I went with an OzTent RV4 because of the quick setup/teardown. Plus, you can leave it as a base camp while you explore without the extra load on top. The base tent comes with a canopy. Side panels are extra, but haven't really had a need for those.

I've seen the OzTent and I like it alot and is a good option. The thousand bucks for a ground tent is bit much for me though. Then for side panels is even more.I've seen tepui and cvt's version. Now they don't look as robust but they are a 1/4 of the price. Need to find some long term reviews. I like the quick setup and that you can stand up in it.

Reactions: BEAR

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I've seen the OzTent and I like it alot and is a good option. The thousand bucks for a ground tent is bit much for me though. Then for side panels is even more.I've seen tepui and cvt's version. Now they don't look as robust but they are a 1/4 of the price. Need to find some long term reviews. I like the quick setup and that you can stand up in it.
You can get them for less through a group buy. Used tents will pop up on the various expedition forums. Side panels are nice, but not absolutely needed.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

image.jpeg I've spent many years sleeping on the ground, then on a sleeping mat and then on a cot. I can say I have never been more comfortable than when sleeping in my RTT. I put a couple of comforters under me and a big ol' down comforter on top with a couple of down pillows (all of which can be kept in the tent when stored). It's like sleeping on my queen bed with my wife and even more comfortable having all the room to myself. Being off the ground means no worries in the rain, fewer critters and a general sense of security. The heavier canvas insulates better and makes for a quieter night with noisy or snoring neighbors. Set up can be done in less than 5 minutes. You are looking at a major investment and need to determine if it is worth it. For me it is definitely a yes.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I think the only thing that is keeping me from snagging one is the initial cost and not knowing how it will act mounted on my jeep.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
OZ Tent RV-5 sounds like a good way to go for you with dogs. Unless your dogs can sleep in the annex below an RTT. Not idea what size dogs you have. OZ Tents are silly expensive just like their RTT counterparts. They are very well made though and at a price offer a lot of flexibility.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I think an RTT in a trailer would be a good option, but that's substantially more than a fully kitted Oztent RV 4 or 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ya a trailer has its perks. But not something I really want or need at the moment. Heck I don't even have a place to store it. Lol I mayou be running my coleman tent a bit longer

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Ya a trailer has its perks. But not something I really want or need at the moment. Heck I don't even have a place to store it. Lol I mayou be running my coleman tent a bit longer
I don't park any vehicles in my garage because it's full of gear and my trailer. My need was out of necessity due to the very limited cargo space of a TJ. Buy once, cry once...and I've never had a second thought.

Reactions: Moxy

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

I just used a OzTent RV-4 for a weekend trip. I borrowed it from a friend so I could try it out. I ended up buying the RV-5 and love it. I think its got the best of both worlds. Its very quick to set up. I timed myself and once the bag was on the ground it took me 56 seconds to take it out of the bag and set it up. It comes in a long torpedo shaped bag and is way to big to put even in my Land Rover so it has to be stored on the roof. But it also allows for you to still put all your pelican or whatever cases up there too. Its about 50lbs so not lite but lighter than a RTT. The other problem I saw with RTT's in my group is they had to level out their vehicle while I could just find a flat spot. The OzTent isn't cheap $1100 for the RV-5 but that's still cheaper than a big RTT. There is a bunch of accessories for it too, such as walls for the awning so you could have a vestibule. I'm 6' tall in shoes and I can stand up at the entrance. The only thing I'm not sure about is how it handles in heavy winds. If you steak all the guy lines down well it should be fine but I think a RTT could handle high winds better.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

It's a tough call. I honestly like both the RTT and oztent. I've even kicked the idea of the ursa minor . Of course it's pretty expensive and would mean the roof rack goes away.

Mud, specifically lake bed mud is definitely a plus to having a rtt

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

Like Tom I'm also in the Northern California Land Rover Club and what I've noticed is kind of funny. Lately on trips it seems like 40% of the group has RTT's another 40% now have OzTents and 20% is normal ground tents or sleep in the car. That definitely *shouldn't* clear any decision up. haha

Reactions: tom and stoney126

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I actually don't mind sleeping in the back of my truck at all. However is isn't water tight though it did pretty good in low 30 degree weather . A few mods would keep the cold from the bed to the air mattress. But getting dressed without exposing myself to the world is a bit tricky.
Now the jeep could sleep two into back but trying to keep packing and unpacking to a minimum.

One of these days my superduty will get a four wheel camper.....ahhh luxury

I think a oz tent or knock off is probably in the future. Hoping I can find a used oz tent