Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I might have to hook up my Roadshower4 to a tankless water heater and see what happens:grinning:
Yeah, hook it up when the water is cold and let gravity feed the tankless WH.. Very interesting idea me thinks , no pressure but it will wet you body when it need it:laughing: The only thing you need to worry about with a tankless heater is not having any water in it. It will burn up without water in seconds or minutes.

Actually I considered building one of these roof contraptions myself. It can be built for around $100 and is not a big challenging project for someone with basic skills or knowledge of a pressurized vessel and how it works. I watched several YouTube videos on this shower devise. Then one day I watched a Bob Wells video he made on how you can shower when on the road (His people live out there 24/7/365) . I watched and he offered 6-7 ways to do it all of which were economical and practical (some people could care less) . I liked that idea because off roading is not cheap and I live on a fixed income as do many off roaders, travelers, and OB'rs. I want my money to go as far as possible and if I can find a place to do it cheaply I will and spend the extra money for the more needed things (like new tires etc.) Anyway after watching Bob's video I said to myself, fool.. there is a cheaper way and maybe even better. I chose one of his methods and it works just fine and only cost me $19.95. My extra savings went towards buying my solar system that is far more important to me than a $500 Chinese made water tank on my roof rack that I don't have anyway.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No offense taken here. I expect all people of all backgrounds and personalities in all forums. I have been an administrator myself and am unphased by people's comments. Thanks for asking though.
Thank you for your honesty. I'm a little sensitive when someone accuses me of being a dick, ridiculous, un helpful, destructive, having fixations, nothing beneficial in my opinions and experiences after 84 years of experiences that this person will never have in his menial little distorted dysfunctional life.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thank you for your honesty. I'm a little sensitive when someone accuses me of being a dick, ridiculous, un helpful, destructive, having fixations, nothing beneficial in my opinions and experiences after 84 years of experiences that this person will never have in his menial little distorted dysfunctional life.
No worries I like people that tell it like it is.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Yeah, hook it up when the water is cold and let gravity feed the tankless WH.. Very interesting idea me thinks , no pressure but it will wet you body when it need it:laughing: The only thing you need to worry about with a tankless heater is not having any water in it. It will burn up without water in seconds or minutes.

Actually I considered building one of these roof contraptions myself. It can be built for around $100 and is not a big challenging project for someone with basic skills or knowledge of a pressurized vessel and how it works. I watched several YouTube videos on this shower devise. Then one day I watched a Bob Wells video he made on how you can shower when on the road (His people live out there 24/7/365) . I watched and he offered 6-7 ways to do it all of which were economical and practical (some people could care less) . I liked that idea because off roading is not cheap and I live on a fixed income as do many off roaders, travelers, and OB'rs. I want my money to go as far as possible and if I can find a place to do it cheaply I will and spend the extra money for the more needed things (like new tires etc.) Anyway after watching Bob's video I said to myself, fool.. there is a cheaper way and maybe even better. I chose one of his methods and it works just fine and only cost me $19.95. My extra savings went towards buying my solar system that is far more important to me than a $500 Chinese made water tank on my roof rack that I don't have anyway.
Did you even read this thread? Please show me where I said I'm going to "gravity feed" the tankless WH. Geez man....

I'm not offended but I agree with Ryan, you do come across with a negative attitude. It is possible to share your experiences without being critical of other people's choices.

Have a nice day.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
What is going on around here? Everyone needs to chill! First can a post be taken as someone being negative or posting down? YES, so reply back with a hey I don't deserve to be talked down to or something along them lines, 99% of the time a person does not realize what they say is having that affect on people.... Lets be a little more tolerant with those around us on this site, AND lets remember that there many many new members joining everyday, who posting or not, will read this and how we act or react will give an impression to them as well.

BUT above all and will not be tolerated an any form or way is personal attacks or calling anyone any names, PERIOD. You get called something or implied, I expect you or someone to report it, a mod or Michael or someone will deal with it..... Now we all get "Hot" at times, so we warn, but again, come on people lets chill!

Enough already this thread is a review and constructive opinions about various options, because I use xyz and you use an abc neither one is wrong and both are right for those who use them, if we keep an open mind, we might all just learn something, I know I sure do.

Jim

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Did you even read this thread? Please show me where I said I'm going to "gravity feed" the tankless WH. Geez man....

I'm not offended but I agree with Ryan, you do come across with a negative attitude. It is possible to share your experiences without being critical of other people's choices.

Have a nice day.
dstock I read everything in this thread. What I said to you was a joke man, gravity feeding, is a joke, just like your joke about hooking the tank up to the tankless heater. (it was a joke wasent it) There was never any intention to be critical of others except to add a little humor to how serious people in this thread have talked about needing something to wash their shoes or their dog etc. It was funny to me . I wanted to put my two cents in to let others know that there are more ways to do a specific thing than what was being discussed. One would think by the way the discussion was going that if they want to take a bath, the Chinese thing was the only way to go. I offered web sites and info on how one could do their thing without all the expense of the roof top devise. I was serious about it.That's all it was and I am offended that someone would accuse me of something I did not say or do. In all of the discussion, did you see anyone offer another solution other than mine ? I am truly sorry if anyone else took offense to what I said in my entry. I believe in freedom of speech, of every opinion and of the choices one makes.

In spite of comments made in this thread by Ryan, I will have a good day as I always do. I also wish everyone else to have a good day as well, in spite of what they might think I said that was negative in nature. The intentions of all my comments was to enhance the conversation on the other ways one may take a bath if they so desired and do it in a much less costly way if that has any interest to anyone.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hey guys, this is my thread to review the Road Shower. This isn’t a place to argue about what else works or doesn’t, and not the place to criticize me and others for choosing to purchase one (or in my case, two.) There are plenty of other threads that discus the merits of other systems. Please take your bickering elsewhere.

Reactions: OtherOrb and dstock

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Sir, my apologies if you think my first post was not helpful. I didn't consider the post improper or unhelpful and definitely not being an ass about it. I just wanted to let all the OB community know that it doesn't take big bucks to wash of your dog, shoes and other items the folks were discussing for three pages of the thread. It is constructive to let other people know there is more than two ways to (quote) skin a cat. I could care less about how people waste (in my opinion) there money on things of this sort if they have it. Not all people do and I was offering options they might consider. I want to see people out there with whatever they have and not feel intimidated by others equipment. I was told OB was about the inclusion of everyone including the newbies who are just now learning the tricks. It was my reason for joining. Even if our group were all millionaires I would still offer my advice and knowledge on how to do things economically. They can take it or leave it, it's their choice to make not yours. I didn't see you posting anything at all on this thread until you criticized my post, which leads me to think you might be a retailer for a product like this. We can all assume anything from your attitude. If you still feel I am an ass, that is your problem and you own it.
@Lanlubber I agree with all of your points in this comment - I agree that all to often people spend money before seeing what they actually need, however, it is their money and there shouldn't be an indictment when people choose to do so. We've had a joke around the OB Ambassadors and with Michael and Corrie for a while "don't you know you can't overland for less than $95k" - and that has been joke because it simply is so far from the truth. I like your ideas about how you get hot water and am likely going to buy one of the hot water heaters you mention - I also do the same with the pump in the 5ga can, works great.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I did that when prepping for our Alaska trip . It worked just great . Never had to use it on the trip
This is great to know, as I was completely serious about combining the two. I have the Roadshower4 7 gal version which can pressurized to as high as 65 psi. I love it and it works for us in about 75% of situations for having a pressurized warm water option. Recently though, we've found ourselves in some colder weather camping and it would be great to have some hotter water for after sundown cleanup. It's great to hear it works!

@Steve This thread played a huge factor in our purchase of the Roadshower, and I greatly appreciate it. Apologies for any mucking it up on my part.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@Lanlubber I agree with all of your points in this comment - I agree that all to often people spend money before seeing what they actually need, however, it is their money and there shouldn't be an indictment when people choose to do so. We've had a joke around the OB Ambassadors and with Michael and Corrie for a while "don't you know you can't overland for less than $95k" - and that has been joke because it simply is so far from the truth. I like your ideas about how you get hot water and am likely going to buy one of the hot water heaters you mention - I also do the same with the pump in the 5ga can, works great.
Ryan, thank you for this reply. I do want to emphasize that there was never any intention to ridicule anyone for how they spend their money. I was hoping to give some insight where incite might not be known.

I didn't mention it before , but before I bought me a flip up shower privacy tent, I froze my back side off even with hot water on a mildly cool day and the wind was whispering. I've been thinking I might buy me a horse trough and put inside my Scamp for a nice warm tub bath.

I don't know how old you are but in the 40's you would see migrant workers going down the road with a wash tub tied to the top or back of their old cars and trucks. Dad said that was their bathing facilities. I laughed then but later in the 1946 mom and dad divorced, mom, me and my younger sister, living under hard times moved to a cabin in the back woods of California, 65 miles NE of Sacramento. It had no running water, no electricity, no gas. It had a hand pump water well just outside the back door, and a two hole'r out house about 100 yards from the house. We had an ax, a tree saw and a whole lot of trees laying around the back yard. I was 11 years old and had to harvest and cut 7 cords of wood that year. I was the man of the house. Grandma (half Cherokee Indian and just off the reservation) would boil up water on the huge wood cook stove , one by one we would all take baths in the wash tub in the middle of the kitchen floor, next to the cook stove, once a week on different nights. It was a lesson in life that has stuck. Mom's income from child support, when she got it, was $50 a month. Hard time makes one think twice before spending on luxuries. Thanks for hearing my story...Lanlubber

This is great to know, as I was completely serious about combining the two. I have the Roadshower4 7 gal version which can pressurized to as high as 65 psi. I love it and it works for us in about 75% of situations for having a pressurized warm water option. Recently though, we've found ourselves in some colder weather camping and it would be great to have some hotter water for after sundown cleanup. It's great to hear it works!

@Steve This thread played a huge factor in our purchase of the Roadshower, and I greatly appreciate it. Apologies for any mucking it up on my part.
You have finalized the point that I was trying to convey. The conversation was cut short by the misconceptions of my post . In short I was told in this thread that this thread belonged to someone, and that alternate means were not welcome on this thread. My interpolation of that is = Go away, I don't care to hear about it. Go to other treads that talk about other means. Your spoiling my thread and my glory ! That said, If I am wrong I apologize, but I haven't heard any apologies from anyone who misconceived my words.

I am glad to see that someone has realized that I did bring up a good point in that there are alternate means to achieve the end results at a lesser cost. Pressurized vessels come in many shapes and forms. It is my understanding that the Roadshower comes in various sizes. Some that hold no more than 5 gallons of water. If that is the case my 4 gallon bug sprayer or someone's $100 home made PVC pressure devise is worth investigating before dropping $500-$600 .

I was not , and am not, talking about or critisizing those people that choose to spend the money for what they conceive as best for them. I am talking about saving money and alternate options to spending money and staying clean while out in the boonies. Years ago that was my wife's first question, how do we stay clean ? It was also her last question because she never wanted to go camping with the options I told her about. Things are different today, we don't have to go skinny dipping in a cold river or lake or heat our water on a camp fire and wash with a cloth or sponge, though some do.

Some people would not be caught dead with my bug sprayer shower and that's fine too, (with me). Others have found it to be a solution to their particular situation. I disagree that this thread is not the proper place to discuss any option to the Roadshower or other commercial devises. I sincerely hope that anyone new to this forum can see we ARE working to achieve the same goals for all of us. Debate should be welcomed by everyone as a way to come up with solutions of all kinds !

Thank you m e p 1 8 1 1 for bringing to light the good use for the tankless water heater and how it was helpful to you.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

In short I was told in this thread that this thread belonged to someone, and that alternate means were not welcome on this thread. My interpolation of that is = Go away, I don't care to hear about it. Go to other treads that talk about other means. Your spoiling my thread and my glory ! That said, If I am wrong I apologize, but I haven't heard any apologies from anyone who misconceived my words.
Yes, that was me, and if that’s what you want to read it that way, so be it. Glory? You have no clue at all...

This is a review in a review forum. There are umteen threads here on Overland Bound discussing the choice between and the merits among various showering systems, including your bug sprayer. This is not that place.

By the way, this thread was locked yesterday due to the recent posts. I had to ask to have it unlocked again. Hopefully that wasn’t a mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: dstock

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes, that was me, and if that’s what you want to read it that way, so be it. Glory? You have no clue at all...

This is a review in a review forum. There are umteen threads here on Overland Bound discussing the choice between and the merits among various showering systems, including your bug sprayer. This is not that place.
Steve, the bug sprayer is not what my original comment was about. It was about a better means of heating water to take a shower and I offered an alternative.
Heating water is what the roof top is supposed to do and in the right weather it does just that as long as it has enough sunlight. My offering was an enhancement to that or any other system including the bug spray. I was shot down by Ryan, dstock and yourself with accusations that I was downing you and others for buying the product. If you want to say I don't have a clue, it just shows me who really doesn't have a clue about camping and what people want to know about camping.
Your right about one thing, this is not a thread where open discussion can take place freely. I wont bother you with any further advise, suggestions or comments.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Thanks, @Steve, for the review!

I've been itching for just this kind of system review.
The price is a bit high for me at the moment, but I can definitely save up for it.

Have you done an air-flush of the system to dry the interior? I'm concerned about critter growth in all shower systems. If this one can be dried out with an air hose, that would be a huge benefit.

Thanks again!

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS

The price is a bit high for me at the moment, but I can definitely save up for it.

Have you done an air-flush of the system to dry the interior? I'm concerned about critter growth in all shower systems. If this one can be dried out with an air hose, that would be a huge benefit.

Thanks again!
I have not tried to air-flush mine but it's an interesting idea. I keep it full with water from the tap most of the time and have yet to have any issues. I purchased a second outlet so in theory if I were to open the outlet at the opposite end from the air valve while adding air pressure, I would think that would accomplish what you are looking to do. That said, I think taking the fill cap off and opening both outlets would probably let things air out enough to prevent any growth.

Reactions: OtherOrb

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks again!
I haven’t air flushed it. I occasionally put some Clorox in a full tank and drive around, then flush with fresh water. I don’t drink from it, as I have some WaterBox in the trailer for drinking.

Reactions: OtherOrb