Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
First Name
Kieran
Last Name
French
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
FL1CK
That's a great build! I love the Nissan Patrols. I so wish we had them here in the States. The 90s and early 2000s models, that is. I know we've kind of got it now, branded as the Armada, since like 2015, but I hate the Armada.

I'm curious, what's the prompting for the engine swap you're going to be doing?
I’m hoping to put an LS1 in it for a bit more power for towing the trailer and then it shall be a little bit more reliable to drive on both the tracks and road use.

French

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Irvine California
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Frechette
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
This is my 93" GQ Nissan Patrol EFI Dual fuel, soon to have a new motor and behind is my first GQ, chopped into a Camper Trailer I have just finished building.
Photos are from Erica & Noojee Trestle Bridge , Victoria, Australia
Great rig and trailer setup!

Reactions: Ncat

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Awesome! An LS1 will definitely give you the oomph you need to pull a trailer...or a building. :grinning:
I have to agree. Although I have a deep, deep love for my boxer engines from Subaru - the LS1 is the best of the best when it comes to an engine swap. Low maintenance, easy to transplant, puts out great power & there are hundreds of options for tuning modules to tweak it for your uses. It has held up the same status it’s predecessor, the GM 350, from 20 years ago.

I’ve always dreamed of finding an old Subaru BRAT. They were awesome, but underpowered. Imagine a BRAT w/ an LS1 stuffed under the hood matched to a 4L65E , solid axles, 4” lift w/ some beefy shoes... it would make a Subaru devotee claim blasphemy, but still be envious beyond imagination.

Fun fact: America’s 40th President, Ronald Reagan, was a secret Subaru Test Driver on his ranch in CA. During the time, Subaru was having a tough time actually destroying a BRAT on the testing grounds in the American Southwest. They gave Reagan’s ranch 1 for continued testing AFTER they had put it through every practical test they could to try to break it - & failed. It continued on even after all that & went to work on the ranch. It never broke. It was there until 1997, exchanged hands a few times, but it is now fully restored & is back at home on the ranch. How Ronald Reagan Became A Secret Subaru Test Driver

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
I have to agree. Although I have a deep, deep love for my boxer engines from Subaru - the LS1 is the best of the best when it comes to an engine swap. Low maintenance, easy to transplant, puts out great power & there are hundreds of options for tuning modules to tweak it for your uses. It has held up the same status it’s predecessor, the GM 350, from 20 years ago.

I’ve always dreamed of finding an old Subaru BRAT. They were awesome, but underpowered. Imagine a BRAT w/ an LS1 stuffed under the hood matched to a 4L65E , solid axles, 4” lift w/ some beefy shoes... it would make a Subaru devotee claim blasphemy, but still be envious beyond imagination.

Fun fact: America’s 40th President, Ronald Reagan, was a secret Subaru Test Driver on his ranch in CA. During the time, Subaru was having a tough time actually destroying a BRAT on the testing grounds in the American Southwest. They gave Reagan’s ranch 1 for continued testing AFTER they had put it through every practical test they could to try to break it - & failed. It continued on even after all that & went to work on the ranch. It never broke. It was there until 1997, exchanged hands a few times, but it is now fully restored & is back at home on the ranch. How Ronald Reagan Became A Secret Subaru Test Driver
Low center of gravity is also great benefit of a flat cylinder configuration, particularly in an "off-the-beaten-path" setting.

And that's a super interesting story about Reagan.

Risco family adventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Hillsboro, OR, USA
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Risco
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy ret