Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

Whoo, halfway through replacing ALL the front bushings still waiting on all the rod ends to show up before I put the axle back in place. Not many pretty pics at this point so here’s an carnage pic.

View attachment 119088
Looks like your not having fun! Time for a cold one[emoji482][emoji482][emoji482]

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Several cold ones enjoyed last weekend, though I’m on call this week so an import Pepsi as a reward had to suffice.

On to today, the steering joints showed up and I pulled the steering linkages and began to replace them. My adjustment sleeve was frozen so I’ve given it a heavy dose of kroil and set it in the corner to have some time alone to think about what it’s done. I pressed the rest of the bushings out of the radius arms, and got the new ones all in place. They are back on the truck, so now it’s on to the steering linkages after lunch. . .

IMG_1092.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Reactions: DoggMan1163

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
:hearteyes:
Got the truck aligned within spec, and greased the driveshaft’s slip joints and u-joints. Also rebled the brakes while on stands so I could replace a frozen bleed screw. . . Found so extra inspection holes in my passenger front rotor!

View attachment 119607View attachment 119606
Pics came through fine, thank you. That hole looks like rock damage or someone hit it with a hammer. Cast iron does break. Your rigs looking just fine. :hearteyes:

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Been busy with work the last couple evenings, cut short my time to work on the truck in the mornings when it’s cool outside.

I did get the front shock bushings replaced, no clue whether these started out as soft as butyl or whether some chemical/heat exposure turned them that way.

IMG_1113.JPG

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Got the truck aligned within spec, and greased the driveshaft’s slip joints and u-joints. Also rebled the brakes while on stands so I could replace a frozen bleed screw. . . Found so extra inspection holes in my passenger front rotor!

View attachment 119606
WOW. Your Disco doesn't even look like a rusty example. Is that common?

-TJ

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

WOW. Your Disco doesn't even look like a rusty example. Is that common?

-TJ
No, typically they have been used for winter travel and the frames are less than stellar, if not rusted through. This one was a Texas truck before it was brought to TN in 2009. It is extremely rust free compared to most I’ve seen/worked on.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Was out today buying some feed, and noticed 1/2” rubber stall mats were on sale. . .

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

Having pulled the rotting soggy foam carpet under mat and factory carpet out of the back I wasn’t happy with the possibility of damaging the steel rear floorpan. I wasn’t enthused about rhino lining it as I have with previous trucks b/c it’s far cleaner and rust free than most. The rubber mats do a fine job of dampening the resonance of the large panel, while protecting it from the sorts of things I often toss in the back of my truck. And they are easy enough to remove for the occasional cleaning. Also they were budget friendly at around $75 for two of the mats and a blade for my vibratory tool to quickly cut them to shape.

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

Was out today buying some feed, and noticed 1/2” rubber stall mats were on sale. . .

View attachment 120328

View attachment 120329

View attachment 120330

Having pulled the rotting soggy foam carpet under mat and factory carpet out of the back I wasn’t happy with the possibility of damaging the steel rear floorpan. I wasn’t enthused about rhino lining it as I have with previous trucks b/c it’s far cleaner and rust free than most. The rubber mats do a fine job of dampening the resonance of the large panel, while protecting it from the sorts of things I often toss in the back of my truck. And they are easy enough to remove for the occasional cleaning. Also they were budget friendly at around $75 for two of the mats and a blade for my vibratory tool to quickly cut them to shape.
Wow! That looks great

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I may have a repair manual of some kind for this truck, is it worth my time to look for it? (would you be interested in it?)
I probably also have and engine ECU but I'm not sure about parts interchange.
Again, if you're interested, I'll dig them up, I'd like to get them out of the garage.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I may have a repair manual of some kind for this truck, is it worth my time to look for it? (would you be interested in it?)
I probably also have and engine ECU but I'm not sure about parts interchange.
Again, if you're interested, I'll dig them up, I'd like to get them out of the garage.
I would certainly appreciate a FSM or similar in analog format. I have the .pdf but there’s something about having a manual in the shop when an engine is on the stand for a rebuild.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I would certainly appreciate a FSM or similar in analog format. I have the .pdf but there’s something about having a manual in the shop when an engine is on the stand for a rebuild.

I'll look at it and tell you what I have, maybe you can tell from that if it applies to your truck. There were not many changes in those years, until there were A LOT of changes! I'll get back to you.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Just finished pumping fresh 85w-140 into both diffs and the transfer case. While that was going on I rebuilt the vacuum lines to the cruise control and the brake pedal. Also found time to install the metric threads for my rear ladder since I didn’t want to use the huge sheet metal screws that were included with it.

IMG_1127.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'll look at it and tell you what I have, maybe you can tell from that if it applies to your truck. There were not many changes in those years, until there were A LOT of changes! I'll get back to you.
QUESTION, what does a Toyota LC have in common with land Rover Disco ? Did you once own Land Rover Disco and have the old manuals for it ?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

No, typically they have been used for winter travel and the frames are less than stellar, if not rusted through. This one was a Texas truck before it was brought to TN in 2009. It is extremely rust free compared to most I’ve seen/worked on.
Yeah, that was my point. Most old LRs are prone to lots of rust... but yours seems very clean. That's why the rotor surprised me so much!

-TJ