Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I just realized I don't actually have a build thread going....

A little back story.

I got into overlanding after buying a 2004 Chevy Colorado z71 (which I still drive almost daily). I went on many awesome trips with it, but discovered it has some major weaknesses that are VERY expensive to correct. After a trip last September where I made SERIOUS use of my skid plates (as in, probably would have had to do a field repair of oil and transmission pans), and having trouble fitting everything I need in it easily, I decided it was time to look at buying an SUV that I would use for overlanding.

I thought about several vehicles, but ultimately picked up my well maintained Xterra in October 2019 with 135k on it. I had a full list of maintenance records from the previous owners, including the timing belt, and water pump being done at 110k.

I drove it daily most of the winter to see if anything felt off, or needed my attention, but everything seems to work perfectly.

This is what she looked like when I brought her home.

20191024_181434.jpg

Bone stock, we took her out the weekend before Thanksgiving for some sight seeing. She kept up with a new ranger and a third gen TRD pro tacoma.
20191116_121137.jpg

I picked up a midland mxt275 on cyber Monday, and mounted it on top of the bcm. I ran a shielded cat6 cable through the center console, and added a port on the dash to plug the speaker into the radio. I misjudged where to drill the hole the first time,so there's a 1 in hole in my center bezel.

20200117_151751.jpg

After that, I removed my mud flaps, and took it for a run in February with the SW Idaho Overlanding group.

Still stock as far as suspension goes.

20200125_111359.jpg

Since it's starting to warm up now, things are starting to move a little bit more. I've got shackles, and an idler Arm brace waiting to go in. But, I took advantage of the wife and daughter going out yesterday morning to build a modular sleeping platform in the back yesterday.

20200307_122212.jpg

The goal here is to be able to utilize the back seats WITHOUT having to remove the platform. I think I'm going to cut the front sections in half, and do a bi-fold system, since they're too long in their current state to hinge backwards. I also need to build some support for the very front of the platform, as well as add tie down points to it.

I've fashioned some attachment points on the rack with some d-rings, so I can clip a tarp for a make shift awning.

That's where she sits as of right now. I'll update this thread as I go!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It's been a few months since I've updated this thread. I've done a ton of stuff to the rig during that time.

I scored a set of sliders of of somebody on xterranation who was building a new set.

I was also able to score a Lokka for the front diff for $200 (also off xterranation). The previous owner decided to SAS his rig, and pulled the Lokka out of his 4.9 front diff for me. I've not put it in yet, as I'm not even remotely in a hurry to get it installed. That's one I'm going to have done by a pro.

I also decided to pull the trigger on a weld together rear bumper kit. I bought a hardcore offroad kit, and then a buddy and I fabricated a rear swing out tire carrier to mount on the bumper, so that I could carry extra gas, and put my spare on the back.

I then painted the bumper using rustoleum bed liner paint, added dual smittybilt jerry can holders, and got the tire mounted up.

Last weekend, @M Rose and I worked on building an auxiliary electrical system for the rig. During the trip where the above picture was taken, we did some night runs, and I found out that I really need some upgraded lighting. I also wanted to add the ability to charge my power pack when the vehicle is running, but shut off the charger when it's not. Not to mention a fridge purchase down the road, and charging camera batteries once I get all that stuff. There are still some bugs to work out on the electrical, but everything I need is there.

We used ethernet cable for the switch wiring, since it's a really low amp current. This makes it so we only have to run a couple of cables to power all the switches (I only have two installed ATM).

Installed a circuit breaker to completely disable the system if need be.

Running the big 4 gauge wires under the center console to the back of the rig.

The bundle of wires coming up from the rear passenger section, and past the seats. I still need to get some wire loom to protect it.

Relay box and fuse box temporarily mounted to the side of my sleeping platform. This will get moved when I build the drawer system to replace the current setup.

12v outlet and dual USB's added at the bottom of the center console. These activate when the truck is running. The stock port above is on all the time.

Switches mounted at the bottom of the center stack.

And finally, moved the midland mxt-275 to under the seat, instead of under the center console.

That's all for now. I need to work the bugs out of the electrical, get a couple of lights (focused on the front for now), and then work on my drawer system.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
After using my el-cheapo sleeping platform for a bit, I've decided that to really make the best use of the space (or lack there-of) that I have, I really need a drawer system. I've been working on designing an updated system that will make camping with the family, and solo much easier.

I've come up with this:

The rear passenger seat will be removed completely, and replaced with storage cubby, and drawers that extend to the floor, that will be accessible through the passenger door. The bottom drawer will house tools, air compressor, and other various items. The opened hatch above the storage drawer in the rear is an access hatch for my aux fusebox and relays.

The rear drawers will run on 24" locking slides, and the front drawers will ride on 20" slides (I haven't decided whether I want to do locking or not).

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I just realized that I've not updated this thread in quite a while!

I built a new drawer system for the X back in October.

Drawer system skeleton, with the top and bottom being 1/2in plywood, and the vertical supports being 1x8 boards.

On the drivers side, I have a master on/off switch for the rear ports, 4 USB ports (for charging cameras and phones), volt meter, and an additional 12v outlet.

Passenger side has another 12v outlet, 2 additional USB ports. The first switch is for my water pump. The second switch turns my inverter on/off. Third switch is currently open.

Water pump, inverter, and all electrical is accessible from right behind the seats.

My electrical is all centralized on the passenger side of the system.

My dad helped me with the drawers, as he has a table saw and router. Got them both done in a day.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@reaver Im so proud of you my Padewon. Great job... Kallie wants you to help her build one... she’s over here listing all kinds of things she wants in her drawer system.
Haha. I'd be happy to. I've not really tested my plumbing system yet. I don't want to run water through it until it's no longer at risk of freezing.

Besides, I still owe you for all that help with the electrical system.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You don’t owe me a thing for the electrical system... seeing you not scared of it any more is way more satisfying than anything else.

I can’t wait to see the drawer system in use with water and all.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
There's a few modifications I'd like to do to the relay layout. I'd like to replace my 4 standalone relays with a relay box. I'm thinking this one:

That will allow me to clean up the wiring a bit, and make swapping relays a bit easier.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
There's a few modifications I'd like to do to the relay layout. I'd like to replace my 4 standalone relays with a relay box. I'm thinking this one:

That will allow me to clean up the wiring a bit, and make swapping relays a bit easier.
That looks like a good solution.
Wish it wasn’t snowing here I really need to get the transmission mated to the Bronco... I have just a little bit of prep work before the transmission is ready to go in.

Reactions: Dusther210

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
That looks like a good solution.
Wish it wasn’t snowing here I really need to get the transmission mated to the Bronco... I have just a little bit of prep work before the transmission is ready to go in.
I know that feeling. I have tons of stuff I want to do on Gamora. Figure out how to install a 180amp alternator, replace the centerlink (happening next weekend), paint the drawer system, build a roof rack, install heavy duty tie rod adjusters, and buy and install a lift. I hoping to install my front locker this year as well.

So happy I got a new job so I can afford all this stuff. Lol.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You have a good idea of where your build is heading. I’m sure you will get most, if not all, of it accomplished this year.

I too have a laundry list of things I want to do to my rig... b u t . . . New radio came out late January that has my name written all over it... so my build is going to be put on hold for a while after I get it running...

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
You have a good idea of where your build is heading. I’m sure you will get most, if not all, of it accomplished this year.

I too have a laundry list of things I want to do to my rig... b u t . . . New radio came out late January that has my name written all over it... so my build is going to be put on hold for a while after I get it running...
After those items are done, the only other remaining items on my build list is a rear arb locker, skids, and some more lights. I'm still debating on whether I want to do a front bumper or not.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So my steering has been pretty wobbly for about a month or so. A common issue with these rigs is the Centerlink going bad. I just finished replacing mine, but haven't had a chance to test drive it yet.

Also, my truck is fixed, so I can start driving that again.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Test drove the X the other day, after replacing the centerlink. SO MUCH BETTER. Taking it on a pretty long run tomorrow. We'll see how she does. I'm expecting LOTS of mud, and very likely NOT reaching our destination. Will make for an interesting video.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I've not updated my build thread in a while.

I replaced my Colorado with a 2013 Frontier pro4x. Leaving it stock for now. I might put a 2in lift on it next year and bump up to 33s.

Bought a trailer that I'm going to build into an expo trailer. The wife and I have been discussing our needs for adventure travel, and decided a trailer that we can use to haul all the camping gear was the best option. You can follow that build here:

Reaver's DIY adventure box!

As far as the X goes, not much has changed. It's due for new tires, but I noticed the front driver side tire isn't wearing properly. I took it for an alignment, and was told it needed new shocks, tie rods, ball joints and wheel bearings. They quoted me 1800 bucks. I'm taking it to my regular mechanic next week, to get a second opinion.

This is awesome!! Sweet truck!! Such a cool build!

How is that Lokka? Did you get it installed yet? If not, are you trying to sell it? Lol

I got to get on Xterra nation...
Still have it, not planning on selling it. I'm still planning on putting it in, but keep having to put it on the back burner to tackle other projects first, or fix things as they break.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I've not updated my build thread in a while.

I replaced my Colorado with a 2013 Frontier pro4x. Leaving it stock for now. I might put a 2in lift on it next year and bump up to 33s.

Bought a trailer that I'm going to build into an expo trailer. The wife and I have been discussing our needs for adventure travel, and decided a trailer that we can use to haul all the camping gear was the best option. You can follow that build here:

Reaver's DIY adventure box!

As far as the X goes, not much has changed. It's due for new tires, but I noticed the front driver side tire isn't wearing properly. I took it for an alignment, and was told it needed new shocks, tie rods, ball joints and wheel bearings. They quoted me 1800 bucks. I'm taking it to my regular mechanic next week, to get a second opinion.

This is awesome!! Sweet truck!! Such a cool build!

How is that Lokka? Did you get it installed yet? If not, are you trying to sell it? Lol

I got to get on Xterra nation...
Still have it, not planning on selling it. I'm still planning on putting it in, but keep having to put it on the back burner to tackle other projects first, or fix things as they break.
I totally understand lol. That is a project and even little things take me forever to do. Like my leaking sunroof seal on my frontier which would take 100$ and 1 hour to do…is instead just covered with duct tape probably until the return of Jesus lol.
You may want to consider the offset bushings when you do the Lola install to allow a little more lift in the front/relieve stress on your CV joints

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I totally understand lol. That is a project and even little things take me forever to do. Like my leaking sunroof seal on my frontier which would take 100$ and 1 hour to do…is instead just covered with duct tape probably until the return of Jesus lol.
You may want to consider the offset bushings when you do the Lola install to allow a little more lift in the front/relieve stress on your CV joints
I'm not installing the Lokka myself. I was quoted about 400 to have it installed, and with the work required to drop the front diff, pull the carrier, make sure the backlash is correct, and all the other crap that could go wrong if I do it myself, that price is a no brainer to me.

As far as the diff drop bushings, honestly, I don't think I need them. If I ever go more than the 3in the AC UCAs provide, I'm just going to SAS the girl. Honestly though, I don't feel like I need more than a pml and 32s. I want to go exploring, not conquer the Rubicon. :blush:

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I'm not installing the Lokka myself. I was quoted about 400 to have it installed, and with the work required to drop the front diff, pull the carrier, make sure the backlash is correct, and all the other crap that could go wrong if I do it myself, that price is a no brainer to me.

As far as the diff drop bushings, honestly, I don't think I need them. If I ever go more than the 3in the AC UCAs provide, I'm just going to SAS the girl. Honestly though, I don't feel like I need more than a pml and 32s. I want to go exploring, not conquer the Rubicon. :blush:
I feel you! My frontier on 265 MTs and a PML has been REALLY impressive and capable. If I had to remove the front dif I would do the drop bushings to relieve the angle on the axles from the PML

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I feel the Nissan platforms are horribly under rated even in stock form. I'm constantly getting kudos from jeep Rubicons, that are impressed with what my essentially stock X can do.