Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@reaver any opinion on how the rails are doing?
Do you mean the roof rack oem crossbars? If so, I don't have them. I use some 40in long pieces of unistrut. The held up just fine, but I wasn't wheeling. That being said, they had no flex at all while I was in the tent. It felt very solid.

Reactions: Dusther210

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

Do you mean the roof rack oem crossbars? If so, I don't have them. I use some 40in long pieces of unistrut. The held up just fine, but I wasn't wheeling. That being said, they had no flex at all while I was in the tent. It felt very solid.
Thats good to hear, do you have any pictures of the mounting? Been looking at one for a while just didnt want to have to replace the whole roof rack for one.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thats good to hear, do you have any pictures of the mounting? Been looking at one for a while just didnt want to have to replace the whole roof rack for one.
Negative. It's just some ubolts that go around the round bars and through the super/unistrut. I also run them through the brackets for my awning and privacy tent as well.

The round bars that run along the roof are plenty strong enough to hold the tent.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Been a while since I've updated the thread. We took Nebula and Gamora out over memorial Day weekend with a group of overland bound members. I towed the trailer in it's final configuration behind Nebula,while my wife drove Gamora. Everything in Gamora worked awesome, especially the new Kenda tires,as it was pretty slick on the way out.

In July, we took the truck and trailer out to Overland Expo PNW, and dispersed camped for a night on the way home.

A few weeks ago, we went up and camped just outside trinity lakes. Gamora stayed home on this trip, due to gas prices.

Ive also converted the trailer's 100Ah lifepo4 battery into a battery box that I can swap between the trailer and the X. I used 120A Anderson plugs on the wires in the X. When the battery is in the trailer, I just plug the wires together,and the auxiliary electrical system works just like it did originally. When I need the battery, I plug in the aux battery. Input side feeds a 20A dc-dc charger (on a 25amp fuse), which charges the battery,and turns on via the ignition wire. Output goes to the auxiliary electrical system. The box also has a single 12v socket, as well as an 50A input/output plug (which also accepts output from my solar charger in the trailer). I've tested it for functionality,and everything works as expected. I'm hoping to take the rig out on the 9th for two nights,so we'll see how it goes.

Pretty soon, I'll start getting the X setup to tow the trailer,in preparation for doing the IDBDR next year.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
A little over a month ago, @K12 and I replaced the radiator in Gamora, and installed an auxillary transmission cooler. Last weekend, we attempted to head out to test out some new gear. I had a diesel heater I wanted to test, as well as battery and propane tank heaters. Well......I had my first trip stopping failure in Gamora.

We got a couple of miles from my house, and K12 informed me he saw a lot of smoke coming from my rig, and I started smelling hot transmission fluid. Pulled over, and sure enough, I was pouring trans fluid out of the front of the vehicle. We ended up towing Gamora to K12's house, and proceeded to replace all the hose clamps that came with the transmission cooler kit with new clamps the next day. We ended up double clamping the return port from the radiator, which then goes to the trans cooler. We still saw dripping, so I dropped it off at my mechanic to have them take a look to make sure that it was good. No leaks were found.

Moral of the story.....buy quality hose clamps.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
In addition to the fail-tastic attempt at a trip, I've made a bunch of updates to the rig in the last few months. There's much to do before we head out and hit the ID BDR next year.

First up, is I finally installed the tow hitch, and wired up the 3-pin anderson connector to power the 20A dc-dc charger when towing the trailer:

I also installed a new Auxbeam 5D light bar on the roof. I was hoping to test it out and see how bright it was on the last trip.... But alas.

I'm also going to be replacing the 20in bar in the front with a couple of 7 inch spots.

We also mounted and wired up my auxiliary back up lights in the bumper caps:

I also added some much needed organization to the inside. Molle seat back organizer, and two cheap aluminum molle baskets in the rear of the X.

Next, I mounted some plano trucks to the crossbars. I cut a piece of 1/2in plywood to lay in the bottom, and bolted down through both, into the super strut. Unfortunately, these are going to come down, as I'm getting a second roof top tent, which is going to go on top of the X.

One box holds tools, the other hold misc needed, but not frequently used camp gear, like some backup propane tanks, recovery gear, camp shower.

And finally, I built a new tilting fridge slide to house my new setpower AJ30 fridge. I went with the 30 since if I take just the X, I never fill up the 40L, and it's the perfect size for day trips with the family, or just myself for 4-5 days.

I opted to forgoe the gas struts this time, and went with a limit strap in the rear. I use 1/4-20 t-nuts to mount it to the drawer system.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
It’s coming along nicely
Thanks man! More things to come in the future as well.

Since I won't be sleeping in the X for the foreseeable future, I'm going to build an additional set of drawers that I can bolt on top of the platform. Hopefully, I can take the gear that was in the totes up top, and move it to the drawers.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It’s coming along nicely
Thanks man! More things to come in the future as well.

Since I won't be sleeping in the X for the foreseeable future, I'm going to build an additional set of drawers that I can bolt on top of the platform. Hopefully, I can take the gear that was in the totes up top, and move it to the drawers.
That sounds like an awesome plan.
Hopefully gas prices go down so I can afford to drive my Bronco… otherwise I’m going to be forced to buy a Subaru

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Finally got around to opening the new rooftop tent.

Got the light installed in it:

Got the power box mounted, and the plug run to the bottom side of the tent. Still waiting for some 12-2 wire, that should be here tomorrow.

Got my new hatchet mounted to the inside of the hatch using quick fists:

And last, but not least, I added some high temperature amber film to the inside of the camp lights on the trailer. Hopefully, this helps with the bugs that get attracted.

Last edited:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
When @David H and I put the new RTT on top of Gamora, we had to take the Shovel off the roof rack. I was trying to figure out where Iwwas going to put it instead. Yesterday, I had the idea of putting some tube clamps with quick fists on the Jerry can handles.

Works awesome!

I've also been working on condensing my tools into a smaller tote that fits inside the X. I managed to get all my tools into a 56qt plano tote!

SkunkedGorilla

Rank III

Advocate II

Cochrane, AB, Canada
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Korczak
When @David H and I put the new RTT on top of Gamora, we had to take the Shovel off the roof rack. I was trying to figure out where Iwwas going to put it instead. Yesterday, I had the idea of putting some tube clamps with quick fists on the Jerry can handles.

Works awesome!

I've also been working on condensing my tools into a smaller tote that fits inside the X. I managed to get all my tools into a 56qt
How has this mounting system your using hold up? Is the truck used off road where stresses might be exerted on that Shovel handle?

Would definitely appreciate updates as you get some use out of it.....Also how much weight do you think is being supported off that Shovel?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
How has this mounting system your using hold up? Is the truck used off road where stresses might be exerted on that Shovel handle?

Would definitely appreciate updates as you get some use out of it.....Also how much weight do you think is being supported off that Shovel?
As far as how it's holding up, I don't know, as I just put it on there the other day. Time will tell how it does, but I don't really foresee any issues with it.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "weight being supported off the shovel"... Any chance you could elaborate the question a bit more?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I just reallized that Gamora is 20 years old! She's an 03, and it's 2023. Still chugging along without any problems.

I just ordered supplies to redo my relay box. I want to switch my plug interface to anderson powerpoles, as well as update the wires in the relay box itself.

Heading out on saturday for a day trip. Washboards should help shakedown the propane tank mount, tire rack, and shovel mount.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I just reallized that Gamora is 20 years old! She's an 03, and it's 2023. Still chugging along without any problems.

I just ordered supplies to redo my relay box. I want to switch my plug interface to anderson powerpoles, as well as update the wires in the relay box itself.

Heading out on saturday for a day trip. Washboards should help shakedown the propane tank mount, tire rack, and shovel mount.
Keep up w/ the timing belt and trans fluid and you won't have any issues w/ that thing. I

Reactions: Dusther210

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Keep up w/ the timing belt and trans fluid and you won't have any issues w/ that thing. I
Timing belt is being done this year, before we head out on the bdr. It was done about 50k ago, but it doesn't hurt to do it sooner. I think it's going on 5 years since it was last done (I believe the interval is 7 years/100k miles).

Trans fluid was nice and red, and didn't smell burnt when it spewed out of trans cooler, but that will be changed in the spring, as well as everything but coolant, since I changed that when swapping in the supercharged radiator.