Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Managed to get out for an overnight trip this weekend. Took the kiddo with me. We ended up at succor creek, after turning down a road and making it about 200ft before sliding sideways in mud, then struggling to make it up to the the main road.

Awning room worked awesome, and the diesel heater kept the tent nice and warm!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I finally got around to addressing some issues with my leaf springs.

A few months ago, my buddy and I decided to adjust my shackles to the max setting. While this leveled the vehicle out, it introduced other issues that I wasn't comfortable running long term.

To address this, last weekend, I installed some 3 leaf AAL from 4x4parts dot Com.

Before installation (with OE leafs, and shackles adjusted to their max height):

After installation (and the shackles set at middle height):

I now have a mild rake, and it should do a much better job handling the weight, and towing the trailer.

Heading out soon to test it out.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I finally got around to addressing some issues with my leaf springs.

A few months ago, my buddy and I decided to adjust my shackles to the max setting. While this leveled the vehicle out, it introduced other issues that I wasn't comfortable running long term.

To address this, last weekend, I installed some 3 leaf AAL from 4x4parts dot Com.

Before installation (with OE leafs, and shackles adjusted to their max height):

After installation (and the shackles set at middle height):

I now have a mild rake, and it should do a much better job handling the weight, and towing the trailer.

Heading out soon to test it out.
Dude; Brian!!! Gamora is looking “mean” now.

I was just thinking of you and @David H as we head into the Memorial Day Weekend. First Memorial Day in over 15 years I won’t be attacking a trail or setting up a tent. Super bummed, but anxiously awaiting adventure reports. However there will be reports from the “Adventure Machine” build very soon.

Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

I was just thinking of you and @David H as we head into the Memorial Day Weekend. First Memorial Day in over 15 years I won’t be attacking a trail or setting up a tent. Super bummed, but anxiously awaiting adventure reports. However there will be reports from the “Adventure Machine” build very soon.
Yeah. We're doing it a bit different this year. It's just Dave and I, and we're testing our planned setups for the BDR.

We're going to be moving everyday this time. I'm hopping we can avoid some of the weather. Last year was fun, albeit a touch damp. This time around, I have the awning room, Dave's got a propane fire pit, and I've got a projector for the girls. Should be fun.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Yeah. We're doing it a bit different this year. It's just Dave and I, and we're testing our planned setups for the BDR.

We're going to be moving everyday this time. I'm hopping we can avoid some of the weather. Last year was fun, albeit a touch damp. This time around, I have the awning room, Dave's got a propane fire pit, and I've got a projector for the girls. Should be fun.
Last year was fun. I had a blast hiking around the canyon lands. I can’t wait to go back!!!

You (plural Reavers) and Dave are going to have a good time.

Be looking for a message end of June first of July wanting to head into the Saw Tooth’s at the end of summer beginning of fall.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Last year was fun. I had a blast hiking around the canyon lands. I can’t wait to go back!!!

Be looking for a message end of June first of July wanting to head into the Saw Tooth’s at the end of summer beginning of fall.
Liana and Kyra wouldn't be able to go (Kyra will be back in school). Depending on how long you go for, I might be able to go though.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Liana and Kyra wouldn't be able to go (Kyra will be back in school). Depending on how long you go for, I might be able to go though.
we will keep this in the back of our minds. nothing set in stone. lots of varriables at this point in time. i would like to
do something before school starts up for the fall.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Easy fix, just crank those t-bars to the max!
I'm very happy with how it's currently sitting. I drove it to fill it up yesterday, expecting the rear to feel a bit stiff, but was pleasantly surprised.

We'll see how it feels later today though.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So, with the BDR coming up in less than two months, there are some things I'm trying to knock out before we leave.

There's the usual maintenance items that need to be taken care of:
  • Oil change
  • Tighten leaf spring ubolts
  • Change trans fluid
Then there's the modifications I'm doing to the setup/layout of the camping equipment.
  • Build fridge box
  • Build upper rear drawers
  • Reorganize drawer system
  • Install upgraded Alternator
Last night, I ran the power cable for the RTT out through the grommet that the wires for the center brake light pass through.

Next up, is building the fridge box and additional drawers that will sit on top of my current drawer system. I plan on building something similar to this setup:5093730.jpg

This will be a modular setup, held in place with bolts through the platform. This will allow me to move the tools and various items that we'll need to access every day to the drawers, instead of having to dig through bins.

Reactions: tjZ06

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Slowly knocking out some stuff in the evenings. I cleaned up some of the wiring around some of the lighting and power for the tent. When I put the tent on, I just added a power connector at the back of the drawer system, and ran the wire out the window. This worked, but made opening the door a pain in the butt. I decided to run it out through the grommet that the wires pass through for the rear hatch. Much better!

I've also finalized the design of the additional drawers and fridge box.

and optimized the cuts to only need two sheets of 1/2 in plywood to make it all. Slides have already been ordered, and I'll be working on the drawers over father's day weekend.

Reactions: Sequoiadendron

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Gamora went in for some maintenance items yesterday.

Trans Fluid and filter change
Transfer case fluid change
Front diff fluid change

I also had them do a full inspection to see if anything needed addressing before the trip...

I'm happy to report that Gamora received a clean bill of health!

I'll handle the rear diff, oil change and changing the serpentine belt myself. I also need to get my bigger alternator in, but I'm still not entirely sure what wires need to be swapped out to handle the higher amperage yet.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I managed to knock a few things off the to-do list over the weekend.

Got my modular drawer system built!

I've already started moving things out of some of the totes, and into the drawers. Over memorial day, we kept having to dig out the bin in the trailer with the pots and pans, which for a two week trip, isn't gonna fly. Everything in the bin now lives in the middle drawer on the passenger side of the rig. Other various items we're going to use regularly will live in the top drawer.

I'm going to address this now, since I know it's going to come up (and I've already been asked once).....The gap between the drawers and the fridge box is intentional. I can put larger flat items in there, and they don't really shift around much. This includes my folding solar panel, toilet, a table for the diesel heater, and pretty much anything else I want.

I also FINALLY tackled the sagging headliner.

Before:

AFTER!!

So. Much. Better.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Well, I recently learned that my battery packs just won't run my fridge for more than 12 hours for some reason.

Seeing as how were going to need to run two fridges, and keeping the battery packs charged would be very difficult to do, I decided to bite the bullet and order a 100Ah lifepo4 battery and 20A dc-dc charging system for the X.

I finished getting everything wired up last night.

I pulled the battery out of the trailer for testing (as the battery I ordered won't be here until tomorrow).

Solar charging is working:

The I tested DC-DC charging:

Everything is working as it should! Now I just need to hook the 100Ah battery up when it gets here.

Reactions: Sequoiadendron

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Whelp, new 100Ah Mini battery is in! I had just enough room to get it where I wanted, without having to move the fridge box!

Reactions: eroyar23

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
back from the Idaho BDR early this week. I've been slowly cleaning stuff, and putting things away.

The knock sensor finally set the engine SES light off on day 2 of the trip. Scanned it, and decided to carry on. Looks like I'm going to have to take care of that in the near future.

The only other issue I had to deal with was the trailer battery wasn't charging, but I'll detail what happened in the trailer thread.

I was worried that the 100A HO alternator (based on the Vin) wouldn't be able to keep up with charging each battery with 20A. Fortunately, we never pulled more than 40A out of each battery. This meant they were both charged after about 2 hours of driving.

While idling, I was getting about 12.2v at the volt meter. But anytime we were on the gas, I was getting about 13.6V, even while charging.

The drawer system worked flawlessly, as did everything else. I had zero cooling issues, AC worked great.

We managed to complete the BDR in 11 days.

The first day, we camped in a USFS Camp ground right on the middle fork of the Boise River. It was lovely, and the wife and I had plenty of room in the tent with my daughter and @David H S daughter sleeping on top of the X.

We rolled out at about 10:30, and worked our way to Lowman for gas. Unfortunately, none of the pumps in Lowman were working, so we made our way about 8 miles down Hwy 21 until we found a pump. From there, we back tracked, and made our way to Deadwood Reservoir. We managed to find a spot right on the lake, and settled in for the night.

The next day, we packed up, and pushed north to Yellow Pine. On the way, we let a truck with two barrels pass us. Little did we know, that we'd run into this truck again.

When we made it to yellow pine, there was the truck, bringing gas to the town. I managed to talk him into 7 gallons, which would be helpful down the road.

We left yellow pine, and made our Warren. We didn't need to get gas there, which was good, as it was closed, and the guy in Yellow Pine said they were charging $12/gallon. We managed to find camp just outside of town.

At the summit of Elk Pass

By this point, @David H was feeling pretty crappy. We pushed up into the mountains more, and managed to find a clearing big enough to fit 5 rigs at about 7:30pm. We set up camp, ate dinner, and hung out around the fire for a bit, before going to bed.

Abandoned Bus. Lots of stickers from those who've stopped.

My wife enjoying the driving:

The next day, we pushed into Graingeville for gas and some supplies. By this point, I'd used just about half of the water in the trailer. We got gas, then went to the grocery store. We parted ways with @David H once we left the grocery store.

Once I filled my water tank at the local nomnom, we worked our way towards Elk City. We found a nice gravel spot next toaa creek about 10 miles from Elk City.

Since we had access to unlimited water, we all took showers. We took our time rolling out of camp the next day. @M Rose decided to hang out and work on his rig, and meet us before we started the Lolo Motorway.

Three rigs rolled out of camp, and proceeded to Elk City, our last gas before Montana.

We gassed up in Elk City, and made our way out of town to find camp, before hitting the Magruder.

We found camp at the top of Green Mountain, next to the fire tower.

Sunset on top of Green Mountain:

On the Magruder!

Conditions on the Magruder were optimal. The roads were fairly smooth, with little in the way of drama. I could have done the whole thing in 2wd, if I wasn't towing the trailer.

A fire had gone through the area several years ago, so most of the trees along the route were bare. There's many forest service campgrounds along the corridor, if you're interested in staying at one.

We completed the corridor in about 8 hours or so, and reached Montana. We went a little off route to a camp site recommended by @Ubiety, and found camp at a beautiful spot along a creek.

The next day, we proceeded up the highway through Darby and the other tow S along the highway on the way to Lolo. I definitely want to go back and explore the towns on a different trip.

While we were waiting for M Rose to arrive, I noticed that the battery in my trailer wasn't charging. I minaged to find the cause of the problem, but had more than enough battery to run the fridge until we got to camp. We met up with @M Rose in Lolo, and proceeded to start the Lolo. Right after we hit the road though, m rose started smoking, and had to run back to Missoula for a quick repair to his valve cover gasket.

Knowing there were fires in the area, we decided to stop at the Lolo visitor center to check the latest closures. It was a good thing we did, as the section of the route that goes past the Indian Post Office was closed. The Ranger recommended taking fsr 107 to reconnect to the route, which is what we did.

We proceeded along the route dodging logs that were cut just wide enough to fit vehicles through.

We made it to on of the possible camp spots I had marked.... It turned out to be one of the best camp spots of the whole trip. It was a tiny camp ground with 5 spots right along Rocky Ridge Lake. And we had it all to ourselves!

While @Hogman whipped up some delicious gumbo, I got to work fixing the battery charger in the trailer. I'd used anderson powerpole connectors to connect the charger. I pulled out my tools, cut the connector off, and crimped the wires together directly. The battery started charging, and I was good to go.

The next day, we reluctantly left that camp ground, and proceeded towards Pierce. We gassed up in pierce, then headed back up into the mountains, and tried to reach Avery.
This section of trail would be pretty rough, and it would take us all day to hit our milage goal of 100 miles. We didn't quite make it there, and found camp about 12 miles outside of town at out 9pm. We set up camp, ate some dinner, and most everyone went to bed.

The next day, @Ubiety and @Hogman had to head back to the puget sound area, so once we hit Avery, they unfortunately had to hit the highway. The last two rigs continued on with the goal of hitting Clark fork.

We went through the tunnels outside of Avery. My daughter loved this section, and the sound the horn made as we went through. Once through the tunnels, we worked the graded gravel road on our way to Wallace, which is somewhere I definitely want to go and spend some time.

We gassed up, and continued on the route...

Trying to reach Clark fork after Wallace was a SLOG. the distance from where we camped to Clark fork was almost 150 miles. The road was pretty rough as we got further north, and when we got about 25 miles from Clark Fork, we can hit a road closure. A quick look at the map, and we found another road that would lead us there.

We reached Clark Fork at about 9pm. We found a place to eat, and I started working on finding us a hotel.

We spent the night at the Fairbridge Inn and Suites just north of sand point, and the next morning, I aired up the tires for the last stretch, as we'd be taking the highway.

And with that, we drove up the highway to the border!

I'll be adding pictures to this as I collect them. I don't have all of them yet.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I could have done the whole thing in 2wd,
I was in 2WD the entire time save a few downhills where I was in 4 LOW to give my brakes a rest. @Hogman and I hit a couple/few torrential downpours on the way home and got some of the dust washed off and got stuck in Sunday afternoon Snoqualmie Pass traffic (Just don't do it). Other than that an uneventful trip home.

• Love
Reactions: David H and reaver