R.I.P. Beloved vehicles that are now gone (wrecked,traded in,sold,or lost in divorce)

• HTML tutorial

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
1985 LandCruiser BJ60 (that's factory diesel for those that don't know LandCruisers). I turbo'd it, lifted it, and ran it on veggie oil. It wasn't fast, but it was a tank, had plenty of space, and never let me down. (And was insanely cheap to run!)

image.jpeg

The body was starting to rot, I stripped everything from it and took the body and frame to the wreckers. After all the work I put into restoring my wife's BJ70 LandCruiser (also diesel) after that, and what I learned of metalwork doing it - I really, really, really wish I had put the work into my 60. The drivetrain will live on in my FJ40, when that restoration is finished - but it won't be the same. :c/

Reactions: Chadlyb

smallfrye

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
Member #

1996 Toyota 4runner - sold

2000 Toyota 4runner - rolled

2002 Toyota 4runner - sold

I've had a couple of cars as well (Camry, Corolla and MR2) but I'll leave it at these 3 vehicles.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
One of a couple, but this one I have pictures for. 2005 1500 HD Z71 with 6.0. how I bought it so not sure of lift specs, but its sitting on 35s. This was the wifes truck and it looked amazing around her! Got sold for something more practical... We relocated about 35 miles from work and this beast got 11 MPG highway, so it had to go. Sure miss it some times though.

IMAG1719.jpg IMAG1721.jpg IMAG1722.jpg IMAG1723.jpg

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

This thread got me thinking of all the stuff I've owned in the past so thanks everyone for the memories. Now I have to learn how to copy old slides to digital. Hear are my first attempts. My first rig , when a junior in high school, was a '48 CJ2A. Through the years I had a pretty long list but this was my favorite. Lots of fun in the mid '70's.
IMG_3134 (2).JPG

IMG_3140 (2).JPG
IMG_3144 (2).JPG

IMG_3141 (3).JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

This thread got me thinking of all the stuff I've owned in the past so thanks everyone for the memories. Now I have to learn how to copy old slides to digital. Hear are my first attempts. My first rig , when a junior in high school, was a '48 CJ2A. Through the years I had a pretty long list but this was my favorite. Lots of fun in the mid '70's.
View attachment 48954

View attachment 48955
View attachment 48956

View attachment 48957
Wow!!....what a great rig....love the swimming pic...

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Wow!!....what a great rig....love the swimming pic...
Here's one of my trucks I miss the most. Circumstances changed and it was time to let her go, but I still miss her.

96 FZJ80, 2.5 OME HD lift, Cooper St MAXX tires, loved that truck.

Pictures are new tires (BFG AT KO, before the Coopers), weekend getaway pulling small TV trailer (before the lift), and after the lift.

Screenshot_20180224-182407.jpgScreenshot_20180224-182503.jpgScreenshot_20180224-182521.jpg

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Here's one of my trucks I miss the most. Circumstances changed and it was time to let her go, but I still miss her.

96 FZJ80, 2.5 OME HD lift, Cooper St MAXX tires, loved that truck.

Pictures are new tires (BFG AT KO, before the Coopers), weekend getaway pulling small TV trailer (before the lift), and after the lift.

View attachment 48994View attachment 48995View attachment 48996

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app
Great ride Greg...i see why letting it go was hard...

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
How about one I miss the least... I bought this Montero limited with hopes that it was worth half of all the hype I read about them... unfortunately it wasn't. It had 130K but the LSD and Front diff were glitchy, the wife spilled a diet dr. pepper in the center console and it locked itself in 4 low. That was an interesting half mile to the shop (drove it in the ditch/dirt all the way there.) Then the rack started jumping teeth and the parts alone were 600. I bought it for 3400, and sold it to Texas Direct Auto 6 months later for 3,000. I jumped at the offer, at that point I would have sold it for scrap value. It just had too many sensors that were prone to failure and not cost friendly to replace. If it were more simple I would have loved it and would still own it as a unique wheeler. What I did like about it was panoramic sun roof, 3 row seating, and the body lines were SOO sexy.
montero.jpg

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

How about one I miss the least... I bought this Montero limited with hopes that it was worth half of all the hype I read about them... unfortunately it wasn't. It had 130K but the LSD and Front diff were glitchy, the wife spilled a diet dr. pepper in the center console and it locked itself in 4 low. That was an interesting half mile to the shop (drove it in the ditch/dirt all the way there.) Then the rack started jumping teeth and the parts alone were 600. I bought it for 3400, and sold it to Texas Direct Auto 6 months later for 3,000. I jumped at the offer, at that point I would have sold it for scrap value. It just had too many sensors that were prone to failure and not cost friendly to replace. If it were more simple I would have loved it and would still own it as a unique wheeler. What I did like about it was panoramic sun roof, 3 row seating, and the body lines were SOO sexy.
View attachment 49140
Wow. Quite the story. And others love these. I was looking at them myself not that long ago. Found an interesting one, but the seller was a very nice and _honest_ lady that was up front with ongoing issues and other concerns. I passed. Though I sure like the looks of it.

Reactions: Bouncer

Mrgalantguy

Rank I

Traveler I

View attachment 49140
We own a 02...currently knocking on the door of 190k. Only issue we had wasn't because of the truck itself...it was shoddy work done to it by a shop which caused the head gasket to fail. Other than that...its been extremely reliable. Known issues on these Gen 3's are oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets and rear cam cover orings, and the freewheel solenoid ($80) going bad causing 4wd selection issues. Other than that...the motor which isn't extremely powerful, but stout and bulletproof if maintained and the drivetrain is very stout too. Unfortunately a lot of Monteros in the North American market are run into the ground with poor maintenance and neglect that finding one used in decent condition is extremely hard to come by.

I own a 98 with only 1 owner and it was taken care of extremely well. Even with 225k it drives extremely well with no issues at all.

Since I posted on this thread...might as well post my previous Montero Sport I do miss which I sold to purchase my 98 Montero. Sold it to a older couple that live on the west coast of Florida.

Montero sport by grimgs, on Flickr
Montero sport by grimgs, on Flickr

Reactions: Chadlyb and Bouncer

Mrgalantguy

Rank I

Traveler I

Well horses arse it sounds like we may have just had a dud, sucks, because I REALLY wanted to like it. And they are few and far between. Especially hard to find one at a reasonable price anymore.
Compared to the Yotas ..they are still reasonable but you are right, Monteros are going up in price. Maybe a gem will come by your way :wink:

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I don't have any digital photos of it, but my dad's 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser (FZJ-80). It was never modified in any way, but it was a great vehicle. When he passed away my mom swore she was done with off roading; it had gotten to an age where things were starting to need a lot of maintenance, new seals, gaskets, even new half-shafts. I was trying to plan for her living alone and getting older, her vehicles were all getting old and she needed transportation that was reliable and accessible.

We were on our way to trade in her Volvo sedan for a Volvo XC70 when we decided to go back and trade the Land Cruiser instead. The Cruiser had needed more repairs, was more expensive to run, was older, and would be harder for her to climb into as she got older.

Biggest regret of my life. Every day I miss that vehicle. I was barely scraping by at the time or I would have bought it from her, the dealer gave us next to nothing for it - maybe a tenth of what it was worth (at the time that wasn't a lot, the 80 series had not become as desirable as it is today.) It was a huge mistake, both practically and because of the sentimental attachment to that particular Cruiser.

Fortunately, she decided to get back out there, at least a little bit. She now has a 4Runner, lifted with sliders and front and rear off road bumpers. She also got stuck for the first time and found out it isn't the end of the world (high-lift to the rescue). She still isn't as confident off road as she once was, but she's getting there. We both miss that Land Cruiser and drool over the built ones we see on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadlyb and Bouncer