Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A friend taught me that if I put the little green tank in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before filling it from the bigger tank, it will take in more propane. It will also take in more if you turn the filler tank upside down, allowing more of the liquid propane to transfer. You can even feel how much heavier they are after you fill them like this VS not doing it. I've been doing this for years now and it works great.
Best to find out what happens when you overfill a propane tank, it'll only happen once.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Best to find out what happens when you overfill a propane tank, it'll only happen once.
I'm not sure if you can. I spoke to a guy who works for PraxAir who seemed to know quite a bit about this process and he said it wasn't an issue with these tanks. Always better to be safe than sorry though...

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Have you ever heard of anyone overfilling. Propane is cold before it goes into a bottle isn't it ? It sounds logical to me that a cold empty tank being filled with cold propane is balanced. I know with gasoline you can put more in your tank in the winter than you can in the summer.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Have you ever heard of anyone overfilling. Propane is cold before it goes into a bottle isn't it ? It sounds logical to me that a cold empty tank being filled with cold propane is balanced. I know with gasoline you can put more in your tank in the winter than you can in the summer.
When filling a propane tank they open a valve on top as the liquid is pumped in it will flow out the valve when full.

I have also been filling my own green bottles for almost 15 years now never been a problem but, I will have to try freezing before filling next time.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I assume everyone knows U-Haul will fill propane tanks for you.
Mine dosent. I only have one u-haul in town.
But my RV park a mile away does, and I have 2 propane sales offices in town. Wal-mart will swap your empty for a full and so will Walgreen.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Hopefully our new Tractor Supply store will when they open up this Spring or Summer! I was kind of surprised they were building a Tractor Supply in a beach town but I guess somebody needs to take care of all the backyard farmers!

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I built an overland trailer. Finished it last week. Yesterday I pulled out all my gear to see how it fits....It doesn't! The trailer is only 4' X 5' with 24" high sides.

I could fit everything but a third 5g water jerry can and my 20# propane tank.

When I tow the trailer with the truck this will not be an issue as there will be tons of room in the truck. But when towing with the car I won't have this luxury.

Decided to buy a 5# propane tank and mount it outside the trailer. I wanted a fiberglass tank until I saw the price! YIKES!

I went with a Manchester tank at underr $60.....

5# of propane should be plenty for cooking and a hot shower or two over a three day event.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Guzzle H2O

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hood River, Oregon, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
B
I have had a fiberglass tank for over 10 years as part of our boating and van camping kit. The reduced weight makes them super nice, and it seems like it does less beating up of the gear around it. And of course you can see how much propane is left.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have had a fiberglass tank for over 10 years as part of our boating and van camping kit. The reduced weight makes them super nice, and it seems like it does less beating up of the gear around it. And of course you can see how much propane is left.
I thought they were under pressure and anything other than steel would blow out or denigrate. I don't know that much about propane except my tank holds 250 gallons and building codes make me keep it 25 feet away from my house.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I thought they were under pressure and anything other than steel would blow out or denigrate. I don't know that much about propane except my tank holds 250 gallons and building codes make me keep it 25 feet away from my house.
I didn’t know that they could be made of glass either... I knew aluminum, and like you said steel