SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
The Los Burros Rd then heading north to Prewitt Ridge is a nice route. Los Burros is a nice steep climb. Looking forward to this trip.
I don't remember it being steep... Our old 2wd s10 never had issues we the anything out there :P
...then again we might have different ideas about what steep is.

I'm gonna look into the Indian hills side of this trip, Ive never explored out that way so I'm pretty curious what all is there.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I don't remember it being steep... Our old 2wd s10 never had issues we the anything out there :P
...then again we might have different ideas about what steep is.

I'm gonna look into the Indian hills side of this trip, Ive never explored out that way so I'm pretty curious what all is there.
Past the homes Los Burros has some decent short climbs, the detour we are doing after Mission San Antonio has some ridge top climbs as well, but no nothing compared to a staircase climb in Death Valley. The Gaia Files have been added so everyone can see a detailed path

Avotaco

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Raphael
Last Name
S
Member #

Think a stock TRD Pro Taco would be ok on this?

New to the overlanding/off road scene but this seems to fit in perfectly with my schedule so I RSVPed.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Think a stock TRD Pro Taco would be ok on this?

New to the overlanding/off road scene but this seems to fit in perfectly with my schedule so I RSVPed.
Completely and totally more than enough you’ll be fine. Remember to bring some extra fuel

Bungy_teckel

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Michel
Last Name
D
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSG
Damn, slots are going fast, thanks for opening more slots Dave.

- Signed up to the next technical license exam
- Wilderness first aid training done
- Got CA Campfire permit
- Extra Jerry can on the way

Just need to find a brewery on the way to fill up the growler and we are ready.

Looking forward to join the caravan.

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Damn, slots are going fast, thanks for opening more slots Dave.

- Signed up to the next technical license exam
- Wilderness first aid training done
- Got CA Campfire permit
- Extra Jerry can on the way

Just need to find a brewery on the way to fill up the growler and we are ready.

Looking forward to join the caravan.
I want to take a WFA training as well. Where did you take yours?
Good reminder on the CA Campfire permit. I got one last year not sure if it’s annual or if I need to reissue another one for 2020.

Bungy_teckel

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Michel
Last Name
D
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSG
Good reminder on the CA Campfire permit. I got one last year not sure if it’s annual or if I need to reissue another one for 2020.
REI/NOLS had a session last week end in Camp Herms in Berkeley, I'm sure you can find session closer to SJ.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey Y'all, @AlexAtWagan has been telling me about his last trip so I have to join in on this one. Looking forward to it. Is RSVP'ing the same as "registering"? Just want to make sure I'm on board and accounted for. Thanks.
In order to RSVP you have to be a member and then you click on the RSVP button on the Rally Point. RSVP’s are important because it helps us understand how many are coming and what to plan for. This will be a large group but my past experience has shown that undoubtedly some will come later due to work and some will cancel due to unforseen conflicts. But in general the RSVP’s are an important part of the organization process and the understanding of what’s required from each attendee for the trip. This trip is fairly easy on requirements other than packing out human waste and 50 miles of fuel. Other trips will be more rigorous regarding requirements. I realize this is a bigger answer than your question, but just taking the opportunity to address it.

Thanks, hope you can come!

Dave
0C397975-2A15-48D3-A308-9E3A82A39F94.jpeg

boz4rnr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bosma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6BOZ
I’d be interested in a WFA training as well - I bought one of the better equipped kits with some add-ons, but I have no clue how/when to use most of it to maximum effectiveness.

Reactions: 06tacodude

emonomics

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, CA, USA
First Name
Emerson
Last Name
L
Member #

Apologies, but where do I find the GAIA files? Thanks much, looking forward to it! I might be one of those latecomers unless I pull the kiddo from school... but I am familiar with the area.

Bungy_teckel

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Michel
Last Name
D
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSG
Apologies, but where do I find the GAIA files? Thanks much, looking forward to it! I might be one of those latecomers unless I pull the kiddo from school... but I am familiar with the area.

in the location tab you should be able to download the .gpx files.

AlexAtWagan

Rank VI
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6AVD
Curious... Being that there's a no campfire rule in effect, what's plan B for warmth while we're out there? Is a propane fire pit allowed?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Curious... Being that there's a no campfire rule in effect, what's plan B for warmth while we're out there? Is a propane fire pit allowed?
Currently campfires are allowed from what I could find due to the recent precipitation levels. But yes propane fire pits would be an second option otherwise depending on current fire restrictions. However anyone who wants a fire MUST HAVE A FIRE PERMIT. You can watch the video and take the simple test. Below is what I found for Los Padres fire restrictions.

CA Campfire permit- has to be renewed every year. Since you have to have it on hand I save it to my iPad as I always have that for navigation. At the time of positing this link is broken, like a ranger forgot to renew the page. If you know of a different web addrees let us know

Last edited:

AlexAtWagan

Rank VI
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6AVD
Currently campfires are allowed from what I could find due to the recent precipitation levels. But yes propane fire pits would be an second option otherwise depending on current fire restrictions. However anyone who wants a fire MUST HAVE A FIRE PERMIT. You can watch the video and take the simple test. Below is what I found for Los Padres fire restrictions.

CA Campfire permit- has to be renewed every year. Since you have to have it on hand I save it to my iPad as I always have that for navigation. At the time of positing this link is broken, like a ranger forgot to renew the page. If you know of a different web addrees let us know
Great! Good thing I got my fire permit before the site went down. It looks like someone didn't pay their bills.

• Haha

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Hey PapaDave,

Is that above The Indians area? I think I see one of the old ranches in the valley below in your photos, but hard to tell. I have yet to explore a few of the roads that go up into the mountains there, so curious what's up there.

Reactions: Bungy_teckel