First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey PapaDave,

Is that above The Indians area? I think I see one of the old ranches in the valley below in your photos, but hard to tell. I have yet to explore a few of the roads that go up into the mountains there, so curious what's up there.
So last week Del Venturi Rd was closed due to its 2 water crossings being flooded, so to the right of Mission San Antonio is Mission Creek/Red Grade Rd which is a gravel road. For that reason alone it was more fun than paved Del Venturi Road, then from there we will take a needless yet fun detour up into the mountains that essentially cuts the corner. but the view, wow! fun area to explore.

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP

dreysgroove

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Cordrey
In order to RSVP you have to be a member and then you click on the RSVP button on the Rally Point. RSVP’s are important because it helps us understand how many are coming and what to plan for. This will be a large group but my past experience has shown that undoubtedly some will come later due to work and some will cancel due to unforseen conflicts. But in general the RSVP’s are an important part of the organization process and the understanding of what’s required from each attendee for the trip. This trip is fairly easy on requirements other than packing out human waste and 50 miles of fuel. Other trips will be more rigorous regarding requirements. I realize this is a bigger answer than your question, but just taking the opportunity to address it.

Thanks, hope you can come!

Dave
View attachment 134079
Sounds good, I'm successfully registered. Thanks for the heads up on the requirements. Guess I'll be shopping for a 5 gallon gas can and some diapers! ;) @AlexAtWagan

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Sounds good, I'm successfully registered. Thanks for the heads up on the requirements. Guess I'll be shopping for a 5 gallon gas can and some diapers! ;) @AlexAtWagan
Adventuring with the kiddos is always fun! Its a bit harder with the really young ones, but they still get a kick outta it :D

Reactions: dreysgroove

dreysgroove

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Cordrey
Adventuring with the kiddos is always fun! Its a bit harder with the really young ones, but they still get a kick outta it :D
My kids are all potty trained, thank God... the diapers are for ME! Joking, in reference to the requirement to pack out our poo. I shoulda said "adult diapers." ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 06tacodude

AlexAtWagan

Rank VI
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6AVD
My kids are all potty trained, thank God... the diapers are for ME! Joking, in reference to the requirement to pack out our poo. I shoulda said "adult diapers." ;)
Wheww. Good thing this came in the mail today. I suppose I can share. Just leave no trace. :mask:
IMG_9282.JPG

Last edited:

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

So last week Del Venturi Rd was closed due to its 2 water crossings being flooded, so to the right of Mission San Antonio is Mission Creek/Red Grade Rd which is a gravel road. For that reason alone it was more fun than paved Del Venturi Road, then from there we will take a needless yet fun detour up into the mountains that essentially cuts the corner. but the view, wow! fun area to explore.
Interesting, so it sounds like you were still on military land?? I'm not super familiar with the area, so don't take what I'm saying as the final word-- but last time we were there, they were running active drills within a mile of the LPFS boundary when we left in the morning. I'd be wary of wandering off the main roads on the base. But if you weren't-- forget what I said :P

Reactions: PapaDave

AlexAtWagan

Rank VI
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6AVD
Hey gang, I was talking to Tyler at MORRFlate about doing a group buy. When we were at Shaver Lake, I saw @Magic Mike used the MORRFlate and it saved a ton of time and back pain to air up/down tires. I want to get a show of hands who's seriously interested so I can get a great price for everyone.
Here's the rundown for the MORRFlate Group Buy:

$20 off if 5 sign up for the group buy. Take another $5 off for every 5 people that sign up.

So $20 off for 5, $25 off for 10, $30 off for 15... And if you reach 20 kits we will do $30 off plus a free digital gauge for each order ($55 value at 20 kits)

If anyone needs accessories like adaptors or leads, they will be 50% off.

We will need name, email, shipping address, and what air source each person is using.

For Wagan Tech product, we were thinking of doing something as well. (It'll be me and my buddy @dreysgroove and our sons getting to the outdoors, so definitely not a working trip. :wink: ) Now if you guys want to know more or buy, I'd be happy to be a resource.

Let me know!

Last edited:

That_Guy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine California
First Name
Matt
Last Name
P
Grrrr! I likely won't have my truck done by then but if I do I will RSVP if there are any spots left. That whole area including Ragged Point, Julia Pfifer State Park, and the Hearst Castle area are just so dang beautiful!!

• Sad
Reactions: PapaDave

Telldanny

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
G
Member #

I'm interested in going! I live in santa cruz and it wouldn't be super far for me! If I am able to go due to booking . My fiance and I meet all the requirements except ham radio.. if I ordered one would i need to have a license to operate the radio for this particular trip? Or would I be able to get away with it? we just got back from an amazing overlanding trip to joshua tree, sedona and moab utah over the last 2 weeks and cant wait to get back to cooking, exploring outdoors!

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I'm interested in going! I live in santa cruz and it wouldn't be super far for me! If I am able to go due to booking . My fiance and I meet all the requirements except ham radio.. if I ordered one would i need to have a license to operate the radio for this particular trip? Or would I be able to get away with it? we just got back from an amazing overlanding trip to joshua tree, sedona and moab utah over the last 2 weeks and cant wait to get back to cooking, exploring outdoors!
You can order a cheap one off of Amazon and get it in time, technically you can listen on the radio but you cannot broadcast legally aside from an emergency. So that would be a great option for you

either spend the $ for a good one, like a Yaesu FT60, or cheap like a baofeng unit. Car charger is important as it will be on for hours

Last edited:

Telldanny

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
G
Member #

You can order a cheap one off of Amazon and get it in time, technically you can listen on the radio but you cannot broadcast legally aside from an emergency. So that would be a great option for you

either spend the $ for a good one, like a Yaesu FT60, or cheap like a baofeng unit. Car charger is important as it will be on for hours
Would a rugged radio be a good option as well?