kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I used to have an iPad mini and an iPhone 11 hanging off those Ram mounts. Toyota's Entune system is truly horrible. But a replacement HU running Android Auto and Apple Carplay is a better, less distracting solution for me. The Joying HU was $300 and integrates beautifully with the Tacoma and I was able to sell the stock Toyota HU for $450!

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I used to have an iPad mini and an iPhone 11 hanging off those Ram mounts. Toyota's Entune system is truly horrible. But a replacement HU running Android Auto and Apple Carplay is a better, less distracting solution for me. The Joying HU was $300 and integrates beautifully with the Tacoma and I was able to sell the stock Toyota HU for $450!
How are you liking the Joying? I have an eonon in my colorado, and it's been quite a disappointment. Music quality is mediocre at best, and using the GPS for navigation purposes for more than 20 minutes at a time causes the unit to lock up and reset.

Im going the tablet route with a single din Bluetooth head unit in my new rig.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
The inside of my jku. It's pretty simple in comparison so some of y'all's. 2m radio is overhead and the phone does all the back stuff. I'm going to get a vector dock thing and some ram mounts at some point and I'm starting to work on a better overhead console for storage and moar switches.

IMG_20191205_101355.jpg

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
So far the Joying has been great but it has only been a few days. If problems crop up I'll report them.

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

Do you have a link to that? Is it PnP?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Do you have a link to that? Is it PnP?

it’s not PnP, knowledge of car stereo systems is needed as well as adapters for steering wheel controls, aftermarket to stock adapter, and double din adapter for your car depending on size of head unit you get.

Reactions: Abreu93

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
it’s not PnP, knowledge of car stereo systems is needed as well as adapters for steering wheel controls, aftermarket to stock adapter, and double din adapter for your car depending on size of head unit you get.
Actually, it was PnP for me on my 2019 Toyota Tacoma. No adapters, no extra harnesses, no special knowledge needed. The steering wheel controls work and there are lots of customization options for the user interface. There are two things I don't like, both pretty minor. 1. The telephone ring tone is awful and apparently cannot be changed; 2. The compass in the dash display no longer works. My primary reason for buying this was to have Google maps and Apple maps in the unit so that I don't have to use my phone or iPad. If you are needing directions/navigation you are using one of them, not a simple compass in the dash display. Also, this unit was only $300 shipped from Amazon. I sold my Toyota factory system for $450 so I made $150 by switching. Here's the Amazon link:

Trigger

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
DB9EAFC9-A3B3-4683-9A67-13746E8091F9.jpg

Base mount is a Hondo Garage Mount. Then I’m using a Ram split ball connected to a Ram X Grip and a universal mount for my Icom 4100. The mic is mounted with some heavy duty Gorilla tape on the bottom right. This set up has been perfect for me. It’s all easily accessible yet out of the way. My truck is a 2017 Tacoma.

Reactions: Redbear and Big G

AdventureGuy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Paul
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4SAP
Let me know if this photo is visible? I'm using my phone right now and don't have access to my photobucket account. View attachment 16889

Sent from my Samsung S7 using the OB app.

Uniden scanner
Cheap sunglasses
Alpine mp3 headunit
Custom keytag thing hanging form the mirror
F-16 keytag
And my mascot, Mike the moose.

Reactions: Big G