Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

Thanks for replying. I'm currently using a 6th-gen (circa 2016) Amazon Kindle Fire HD8. It works, but it's not great for this use case; it's just what I had on-hand. And, while I have nothing against Android, I am well entrenched in Apple's ecosystem, so I am excited for the new iPad. Mounting it might be a challenge for me, too, though. I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and invest in some RAM mounts.
This is the holder for the iPad I am using with the 67 design arm and vehicle mount.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
It plugs right into my 12v accessory port under my environmental controls. Basically turns the one port into many, which is nice since I run my dash cams etc. off of it.
What are the brands of mounts you used on the dash? Are they suction? Do they pop off in temp changes and heavy bumps ? Oh. Where did you get your grille guard?

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

What are the brands of mounts you used on the dash? Are they suction? Do they pop off in temp changes and heavy bumps ? Oh. Where did you get your grille guard?

They pop off occasionally when it's either really cold or really hot but they're pretty good for around ten bucks and they stick pretty well considering the texture on the dash. They're a hybrid of sorts, they work primarily on suction but the cup is a sticky elastic thing. I'd like to get more permanent mounts eventually.

The brush guard is a Big Country Euroguard. I got mine on Amazon.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

They pop off occasionally when it's either really cold or really hot but they're pretty good for around ten bucks and they stick pretty well considering the texture on the dash. They're a hybrid of sorts, they work primarily on suction but the cup is a sticky elastic thing. I'd like to get more permanent mounts eventually.

The brush guard is a Big Country Euroguard. I got mine on Amazon.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking on using 67 designs mounts in the "cubby" on the pat. The brushguard I like alot.

Reactions: Flamewave

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I've been tempted to fab up and mount a dash rail for accessories, I'd have to spend some time finding good solid mounting locations though.
Well, I have a dash mount setup for our patriot. I have a ball mounted in the top part of the "cubby". I am using a ram mount off that and putting the tablet on that. I will have it complete this week and give you some pictures. We are running the galaxy tab a 8".

Reactions: Flamewave

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

Well, I have a dash mount setup for our patriot. I have a ball mounted in the top part of the "cubby". I am using a ram mount off that and putting the tablet on that. I will have it complete this week and give you some pictures. We are running the galaxy tab a 8".
Nice. I've switched to RAM mounts too.

Went with their wireless phone charger. Between that and the Fiio BTR5's car mode I don't have to plug in or turn stuff on when I start up the vehicle anymore.

Used their backplate, this thing is solid.

Went with their adhesive mount for the Garmin, it kept trying to peel off when I had it set up a bit higher but it's pretty stable now.

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
I know, I know... cluttered for most people (and this is without my phone in the cradle and the iPad). I like to say its what happens when you spend a lifetime in military vehicles, helicopters and firefighting apparatus. Its multi mission capable and comfortable for me.

IMG_1179.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I know, I know... cluttered for most people (and this is without my phone in the cradle and the iPad). I like to say its what happens when you spend a lifetime in military vehicles, helicopters and firefighting apparatus. Its multi mission capable and comfortable for me.

View attachment 196463
View attachment 196463
If it works,.....it works. As many have opined, what works for them is what counts, and all these different photos of cockpits, make it easier to configure and give ideas to all trying to outfit their rigs in a way that harmonizes in their rigs. I have a multiple comm setup, but am trying to keep it more consolidated/uncluttered. At present, I am working on the CB position, The GMRS mount, both along the passenger/console seat area, adding a ham mobile along the right side passenger/foot-well area. Then a GPS unit above the dash line for easy viewing. Doing the GPS above the dash line keeps your eyes more on the road, and you keep yourself more focused at hwy speeds. I also will install a dash cam up under/beside the rear view mirror.

Part of the problem is managing to use the equipment while being able to easily access the gear from the driver's seat without being distracted looking for where the mic is, or the screen is displaying at any one time. The MIDLAND 275 GMRS makes that easier to accomplices. The CB is for trail comm's if needed.

Where the Ham mic/CB mic is in the photo (glove box), , I bought a special mount for Silverado GM dashes (2003-2006.5-classic), which can be configured for a phone/handheld etc, similar to what the Jeep crowd has on their grab bar. It probably would also work for a small tablet, and be higher than some of the tablet mounts I have seen mounted in the cup holder position.

Will update (photo's) when it is finished being mocked up. I am also thinking about just doing what Micheal (#0000) said in a video about just disconnecting the unused at the time mic's, and stuffing them into the center console.

To keep from drilling into my dash/console, I bought wide VELCRO rollls.. The mounting while not permanent, holds very well, and has never ever come lose. It takes a bit of effort to extract your equipment from it.

OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.pngPS.......My configuration should allow clearance and continued use of my 2 cup holders, without interference from my gear. This is important for Hot Coffee- AM, Ice Coffee for lunch, and a soda for the afternoon for me and my passenger. :grin:

Last edited:
Reactions: BigH2OChief

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
If it works,.....it works. As many have opined, what works for them is what counts, and all these different photos of cockpits, make it easier to configure and give ideas to all trying to outfit their rigs in a way that harmonizes in their rigs. I have a multiple comm setup, but am trying to keep it more consolidated/uncluttered. At present, I am working on the CB position, The GMRS mount, both along the passenger/console seat area, adding a ham mobile along the right side passenger/foot-well area. Then a GPS unit above the dash line for easy viewing. Doing the GPS above the dash line keeps your eyes more on the road, and you keep yourself more focused at hwy speeds. I also will install a dash cam up under/beside the rear view mirror.

Part of the problem is managing to use the equipment while being able to easily access the gear from the driver's seat without being distracted looking for where the mic is, or the screen is displaying at any one time. The MIDLAND 275 GMRS makes that easier to accomplices. The CB is for trail comm's if needed.

Where the Ham mic/CB mic is in the photo (glove box), , I bought a special mount for Silverado GM dashes (2003-2006.5-classic), which can be configured for a phone/handheld etc, similar to what the Jeep crowd has on their grab bar. It probably would also work for a small tablet, and be higher than some of the tablet mounts I have seen mounted in the cup holder position.

Will update (photo's) when it is finished being mocked up. I am also thinking about just dong what Micheal (#0000) said in a video about just disconnecting the unused at the time mic's, and stuffing them into the center console.

To keep from drilling into my dash/console, I bought wide VELCRO rollls.. The mounting while not permanent, holds very well, and has never ever come lose. It takes a bit of effort to extract your equipment from it.

View attachment 196477
Exactly... I like that... "what works for them is what counts".

A little more about my use case... I have a Mobile Repeater and Intercom occupying the sides of my console, which takes potential Mic locations I would have preferred. I have a hearing deficit so I needed to put remote speakers pointed right at my mug (so they are up top). The COMMS Cluster Mount is extruded aluminum bolted to a reinforced BuiltRight Industries Dash Mount. Typically one of my sons is with me on the trail. So whomever is in the PAX seat plays the roll of TC and is responsible for radios and Nav. And if we are on the Intercom, all 4 headsets have remote PTT. As you noted, I usually have the Mics locked in the glove box (with exception to the dedicated VHF... which is usually always up). Even with all the Mics put away, Wifey says it still looks like my old duty rig (ha-ha).

Reactions: Desert Runner

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I finally configured the APRS on my ftm-300dr. This will allow me to keep tabs on the other rigs in the group, as well as allowing my loved ones at home to find me.
0509211413_HDR.jpg

Reactions: M Rose

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I got to work on my tablet mount. I think I like it better in the vertical position instead of the horizontal position when I had it mounted in my Wrangler.

20210518_162841134_iOS.jpg
20210518_164601885_iOS.jpg
20210518_164410044_iOS.jpg

It works great, and as a bonus of having it in the vertical position, my software for monitoring our fridge in the back is much easier to read now! But I like the nav and stuff in the vertical. More to come when I get the CB, and 4g booster installed. Then on to the roof rack section!

Fosters

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Goldhawke
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4NTX
nothing crazy...recenty removed a panasonic toughbook that I was using for navigation, obd2, photo dump and radio programmer...
this is how is sits now
IMG_7037.jpeg

Icom Ic7000 HF radio, Garmin overlander GPS...

Reactions: M Rose