KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hunt Valley, Cockeysville, MD, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
It's a Day Use pass for the OHV(Peter's Mill Run and Tasker's Gap) trail network, not related to your National Park pass. FYI...the Fort Valley Country Store is open Sat 7-7 and Sun 10-5.

Note that where we are meeting up that morning is a place that sells the permit. So, the intent is that we gas up, do our purchase, and meet up all at the same time.

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Hey friends! A group of us in 6 rigs just wrapped a trip yesterday on Canaan Loop Road in West Virginia and we were talking about where to go for our next trip. We are based in Harrisonburg, Va and are looking to join up with this crew for the Peters Mill trail ride and doing some primitive camping on Friday and Saturday night just North of Harrisonburg. We will be camping on 20 acres of privately owned land, but I wanted to open it up to anyone down this way who would be interested in camping with us.

Also, I’m having trouble RSVPing for the event off my iphone and ipad so I wasn’t able to get on that list. I saw someone mentioned doing a couple of smaller groups about 30 minutes apart and I thought that might be a smart idea for a mix of newer (like myself) people and more experienced!

If anyone is interested in joining us for the camping feel free to message me! I am thinking of making an event for the camping if that would be helpful, and I will keep you all posted!
I'm kind of getting an idea about how to do this. We could set up two groups, dividing up the more experienced people and spacing out the newer people in between the experienced. If the two groups enter the trail at, say, a half hour apart, we likely wouldn't get in each other's way, and wouldn't have to wait too long for the second group to emerge out the north end, then, if we wanted to, first group go back down the trail the other way, which eventually would allow anybody who wanted to to go over to Tasker's to run that (pretty sure that's ok for OHVs).

Of course, everybody who wanted to could do a big camp together the night before or the night afterwards, and a big dinner after a successful run with the combined group would be a blast.

Anyway, just some miscellaneous thoughts about how to make all this work for everybody.

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
I might wait and hour. Between possible other riders and walking through some obstacles, half hour would get eaten up real quick.
I agree, but on average wouldn't the same obstacles affect the second group the same as the first? Also, I don't want the first group to wait too long for the second group to come out, so the first ones can go back down the trail.

Your point is well taken, though.

Reactions: Hafaday

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Room for another? :grin:
See the post exactly four above yours.

I think I'm just going to start a Rally Point starting at the same location beginning at 10:45 (see that compromise @JRElaxED?). People will be able to sign up on that Rally Point, and we can sort out who belongs where by time they can get to the RP and to make a fair spread of experience/gear levels.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

This trip is blowing up! Looking forward to meeting everyone around the region! 2 groups sound like a fantastic idea. In terms of gear and comms, I have a modest set of mods to the truck along with recovery gear/equipment and running a hard mounted CB. See you guys then!

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
The second Rally Point Wave is up

Please sign up there if you want to go. Just because you're there won't necessarily mean you're in Wave 2. We will make assignments based on Experience and Equipment when we're closer to the date.

And we'll do everything we can to keep groups of friends together, obviously, although we're all about making new friends too!

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I agree, but on average wouldn't the same obstacles affect the second group the same as the first? Also, I don't want the first group to wait too long for the second group to come out, so the first ones can go back down the trail.

Your point is well taken, though.
Gonna add to the fun, now mayhem.. :grimacing:

People have been coup'd up all winter. This is understandable for all the excitement now on getting out. now, that it's starting to warm up.

I like the idea of a big camp group after or before or something. Taskers gap sounds nice too. I believe the same pass for peters mill run covers Taskers as well
Yes, the pass covers both PMR & TG.

TG (Taskers Gap) is an, in an out. PMR is a straight through. TG can actually be less congested do to all the off shoots for the ATV's and motorcycles, BUT it's also the bigger play are for them too,. So, my previous comment could very well be a mistake.

Several ways to look at this...

1. Do PMR. with a timed break for starts with multiple groups.
2. Do the whole package, PMR and TG. (TG was mentioned as an add on, I think).
3. Meet in the middle.
Find out who want's to do just PMR. Find out who want's to do PMR & TG... TG. only... Run these groups separately.

Divide the groups accordingly. Maybe start the longest trip first.

Having fun yet?? I could go on, but figured you'd get picture. :laughing:

The PDF below is stapled to all passes. I have highlighted the PMR and TG trail system.

Attachments

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
I was figuring two groups going up PM, then back. Once back to the starting parking lot, we would see how many are still up for Tasker's. If still huge, two groups over to there. If enough want to cut out, we run one group on Tasker's while the others go back to camp and start cooking up the hot dogs! Or at the very least hit the restaurant and tell them to chill the beer!

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Reactions: Hafaday and sabjku

JL_Outside

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
Member #

I’m not officially signed up, but I’m planning to join you.

I’ve done some off road driving but this will be my first time out in this rig. I’ll be in a leveled 4Runner (4th gen) with basic recovery gear, first aid/trauma kits (hope to not use them), and plenty of trash bags, which I’ll be happy to use! I’ve been researching comms options and plan to get a CB by then. If anyone has a favorite to recommend or one to sell, let me know! Can’t wait to meet you all.

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
I’m not officially signed up, but I’m planning to join you.

I’ve done some off road driving but this will be my first time out in this rig. I’ll be in a leveled 4Runner (4th gen) with basic recovery gear, first aid/trauma kits (hope to not use them), and plenty of trash bags, which I’ll be happy to use! I’ve been researching comms options and plan to get a CB by then. If anyone has a favorite to recommend or one to sell, let me know! Can’t wait to meet you all.
Looking forward to getting out there with you as well.

ATLAS/APOLO

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Quicksburg, Virginia, USA
First Name
ISAACnLAURA
Last Name
RODRIGUEZ
Member #

Just to reiterate, I'm going to be camping with VJR Electric and fellow members. We will be camping Friday night and I believe Saturday night. It's privately owned so it's free (just leave it better than you found it) but we need to know to make arrangements. Also, I'm registered as attending the first wave but can be rearranged if need be. Hopefully we all enjoy this together regardless of what group. :)

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Just to reiterate, I'm going to be camping with VJR Electric and fellow members. We will be camping Friday night and I believe Saturday night. It's privately owned so it's free (just leave it better than you found it) but we need to know to make arrangements. Also, I'm registered as attending the first wave but can be rearranged if need be. Hopefully we all enjoy this together regardless of what group. :)
Wife and I anticipate tent camping Sat night, and would welcome the opportunity to hang out with everyone.

Sparky V

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Harrisonburg, Va
First Name
Vicente
Last Name
Rosa
Member #

I’ll PM you with some of the details! I haven’t set up a point yet to share on OB, but will also be setting that up. We’ll be about a 30 minute drive South of the trail.