Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

One other thing, if you would be so kind, can you DM me your experience level (beginner, intermediate, advanced) because I\'ll come up with a rough list of the order we\'ll wheel in. Obviously we want experienced people in front and in the tailgunner slot, and I\'d like to divide up relatively less experienced/equipped drivers to space them out. In a perfect world, there won\'t be any two vehicles in a row lacking comms or recovery gear. Thanks.

Of course, I ain\'t your boss, and my suggestions are open to change! I just like to get conversations and ideas started.
Have taken off-road 101 at both Chaos and Rausch, and have visited each a second time for add’l off-road experience.
Did Canaan Loop and another trail near Davis, WV recently.
Stock Rubicon Recon with winch, add’l lighting, fridge, cb, gmrs. Would consider myself beginner-novice. So much to learn...

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

I have a CB, GMRS walkies and can monitor on ham, but no license yet. Skill is somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I also have some recovery gear, including traction boards, and a battery-powered compressor.

Reactions: KAC and Sparky V

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Yep, it’s all relevant because I’m trying to space out gear and experience between that case,I also have a pair of MaxTrax
Yep, it’s all relevant because I’m trying to space out gear and experience between the two waves and along the lines. Thanks.

In that case, I also have a pair of Maxtrax, recovery strap, and TreeSaver.

Reactions: KAC

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hunt Valley, Cockeysville, MD, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
OK, just counting down days on the calendar now. It's time to start doing the last minute stuff. (I'll be posting this in both threads.)

I would like to divide the groups up, so please tell me your preference. If you have a pressing reason to be in the first wave or the second, let me know. If you are interested in being with a group of friends, let me know that as well (as well as the friends' handles), so I can assign you together. Otherwise, I'm going to be attempting to even out the experience and gear between the two.

Thanks for your help in getting this info together.

ATLAS/APOLO

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Quicksburg, Virginia, USA
First Name
ISAACnLAURA
Last Name
RODRIGUEZ
Member #

OK, just counting down days on the calendar now. It's time to start doing the last minute stuff. (I'll be posting this in both threads.)

I would like to divide the groups up, so please tell me your preference. If you have a pressing reason to be in the first wave or the second, let me know. If you are interested in being with a group of friends, let me know that as well (as well as the friends' handles), so I can assign you together. Otherwise, I'm going to be attempting to even out the experience and gear between the two.

Same!! Two more weekend's :)

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

I prefer the earlier group as I am not camping, I'd like to have more time ahead in the day to head home and clean up the truck! I'm also very much a morning person, so earlier the better.

Reactions: TerryD

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hunt Valley, Cockeysville, MD, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
OK, just counting down days on the calendar now. It\'s time to start doing the last minute stuff. (I\'ll be posting this in both threads.)

I would like to divide the groups up, so please tell me your preference. If you have a pressing reason to be in the first wave or the second, let me know. If you are interested in being with a group of friends, let me know that as well (as well as the friends\' handles), so I can assign you together. Otherwise, I\'m going to be attempting to even out the experience and gear between the two.

I prefer the earlier group as I am not camping, I\'d like to have more time ahead in the day to head home and clean up the truck! I\'m also very much a morning person, so earlier the better.
The good news is that for those with variable departure times, there are going to be a number of opportunities to jump off the carousel. After our first run up the trail, we're going to wait for the second group to pop out and then run back down it. Those are two chances to time your departure right there. It is then my intention to lead whomever is still up for it, to go over to Tasker and do that. Bottom line is you will definitely be able to take off when you like.

Again, glad you're going.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I don't have a preference in groups. I will have my three kids (5, 7, 9) so if anyone else has kids in tow it would be nice to be in the same group.
I may have a couple of mine. Probably the 12 and 9 y/o. They'll probably have some GMRS radios with them to chat on so if you have some for your kids, I'm sure they'd get a kick out of that. I'll keep you posted on if they come or not.

Reactions: Sparky V

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Throwing this out there....

Might want to call the store to see how many passes they have on hand.

I’d hate for you all to get there, then drive all over the place to find them and kill half the day. You can get them by mail also.

Just saying

ATLAS/APOLO

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Quicksburg, Virginia, USA
First Name
ISAACnLAURA
Last Name
RODRIGUEZ
Member #

Lol very true!

Our crew of 6 rigs got our annual passes already so we're good.

Not all of my crew has been able to RSVP for the event, been having technical difficulties with their account. Trying to get that sorted out. They'd be RSVPing for wave 2.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Lol very true!

Not all of my crew has been able to RSVP for the event, been having technical difficulties with their account. Trying to get that sorted out. They'd be RSVPing for wave 2.
Rite rite..

I’m not even going to this event. Just putting it out there (trying to help out).

I have been up there before and had to search stores cause they were out of passes, and I was by myself. Haha

Reactions: ATLAS/APOLO

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

Lol very true!

OK... Not interested in making the trip only to search for and possibly not find a day pass. Can a day pass be purchased in advance? How can I get an annual pass? Can it be done remotely? As you can tell, this is all new to me.

Sparky V

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Harrisonburg, Va
First Name
Vicente
Last Name
Rosa
Member #

I called the forest service office last week and you can mail in a form to get a single use, 3 day or annual pass mailed to you. They said they process it within 24hrs of getting the form so there is probably still time to get the pass in the mail. Of course that depends on USPS being quick on their end...