Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Yeah, I'm going to firm it up soon. I do want to meet in the middle of town, and I want to do that at the location of one of the places that sell the permit we will all need to buy. Seems to me if everybody has to do it, we may as well meet there, then drive to the trailhead.

As always, other ideas are solicited and welcome.
Hey KAC, are you going to run PMR South to North, or North to South? If North to South, the Woodstock Cafe is a great meetup point. Coffee, quick bite(awesome food!) for those that are hungry, and then you can simply duck out the back roads behind the cafe and wind up Woodstock Tower Rd to the north entrance of PMR. You can cruise past the north entrance to the Fort Valley Convenience Store to grab a pass. I also love going there to support that local, privately owned small business, and it's a great little spot!

If you're running it South to North, hit up the Big Apple Amoco that GB mentioned on Rt11 in Edinburg for your pass.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Is it safe to assume that we are starting some place close to where it’s marked on the map? I want to look for a campsite. want to make sure I’m close to where we’re starting

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hunt Valley, Cockeysville, MD, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Hey KAC, are you going to run PMR South to North, or North to South? If North to South, the Woodstock Cafe is a great meetup point. Coffee, quick bite(awesome food!) for those that are hungry, and then you can simply duck out the back roads behind the cafe and wind up Woodstock Tower Rd to the north entrance of PMR. You can cruise past the north entrance to the Fort Valley Convenience Store to grab a pass. I also love going there to support that local, privately owned small business, and it's a great little spot!

If you're running it South to North, hit up the Big Apple Amoco that GB mentioned on Rt11 in Edinburg for your pass.

I was leaning towards recommending south to north, simply because of the sun. Last time I did it (don't remember time of the year) but it was relatively annoying. I figure south to north would remove that problem.

Definitely leaning towards the Big Apple.

Great idea on the Cafe! Maybe a possibility for a "reward" after we're done? Because doing the whole thing isn't that long, I was going to recommend another local trail (really close) if everybody wants to do some more after we finish the first trail. Just thinking out loud here.

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Is it safe to assume that we are starting some place close to where it’s marked on the map? I want to look for a campsite. want to make sure I’m close to where we’re starting

That is safe to assume. I tried to pick a spot that, despite our not having agreed on details yet, would be a good guess and put everybody at least in the right neighborhood to do advance planning.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
That is safe to assume. I tried to pick a spot that, despite our not having agreed on details yet, would be a good guess and put everybody at least in the right neighborhood to do advance planning.
Perfect. I also like the idea of doing another trail after this one. If time allows

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Reactions: Nomadik Nova

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
If anyone is camping Friday night. I will likely be here Friday night and maybe Saturday night depending on where we end up.

http://www.beyondthecapital.com/2014/06/elizabeth-furnace-family-campground.html?m=1

Thanks again novabound for the recommendation
I'm going to try like heck to do Friday night; it all depends on work. Will advise.

I was going to say I'll let you know so we can find each other at the camp, but we are likely going to be the two brightest KLs within 50 miles or more!

Not to go OT in my own thread, but orange, did you see GBFraggle's Shenandoah trip in August? It looks like a blast, and I definitely want in.

Last edited:

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I'm going to try like heck to do Friday night; it all depends on work. Will advise.

I was going to say I'll let you know so we can find each other at the camp, but we are likely going to be the two brightest KLs within 50 miles or more!
Haha. Bright red and orange. They will see us!

Reactions: KAC

ncd1284

Rank 0

Traveler I

Richmond, VA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Dodd
Will be camping out Friday night and possibly Saturday night. Recommendations??
Camped at Little Fort campground before at the North end of PMR. It has maybe 10 first-come first-served sites that are fairly isolated from each other. We tried to go to Camp Roosevelt on the South side first, but it was closed up at the time. Camp Roosevelt seemed a little more open and better for groups, but it's probably first come first served too.

Reactions: sabjku and KAC

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Camped at Little Fort campground before at the North end of PMR. It has maybe 10 first-come first-served sites that are fairly isolated from each other. We tried to go to Camp Roosevelt on the South side first, but it was closed up at the time. Camp Roosevelt seemed a little more open and better for groups, but it's probably first come first served too.
That’s good to know. Thank you. I’ll have to look into it

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

You are correct.....Camp Roosevelt is a first-come first served.

Just for the record.....Elizabeth Furnace is as well. I have camped at Elizabeth Furnace for over 20 years and have never had an issue with finding a spot though. If you can show up on Friday, I would definitely recommend it, and will make getting a few spots together a lot easier. I was up there a few times this last month and was surprised how many people were camping. There's also epic hiking and mountain biking right across the street for those interested. Passage Creek runs heavy along the back edge of the campground(it connects to the Shenandoah), is heavy with trout, and has a couple of nice swimming holes as well. One of my favorite places to camp!

**Oh, and sites 16 and 17 are great sites because they have a bit more room....easy to get a couple of vehicles in each spot, and a trailer. And they're right across from one another.

Last edited:

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
For some reason I can’t log In. I managed to view the rally point but I see mostly everyone was booted off. So count me in. I will update the rally point when it works again but I’m still in

BourbonRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hidalgo
Member #

For some reason I can’t log In. I managed to view the rally point but I see mostly everyone was booted off. So count me in. I will update the rally point when it works again but I’m still in
I had the same issue after a few days I was able to log in, but now I don't even see the rally point event on the page, anyone else having that same issue?

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I had the same issue after a few days I was able to log in, but now I don't even see the rally point event on the page, anyone else having that same issue?
I had the same issue for a while. Maybe this will help