KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hunt Valley, Cockeysville, MD, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Well, we're less than two months out, and I wanted to start a few conversations about things it would be useful to bring. Of course, if you're camping out either the night before or the night after, you'll need all that gear, but I wanted to start with more basic things.

Tow Points-This is definitely what I would call an easy trail, generally speaking, but having tow points on your vehicle would be useful just in case. I'm sure you understand they have to be mounted solidly, to the frame or some other stout member of the vehicle, not to the fascia of a plastic bumper. Some of us will have recovery gear, and it would be nice to be able to have something to attach that recovery gear to!

Second and last thing for today-Communication. If you're a ham, that's great, and if everybody in the group is, that's what we'll be using in that unlikely event. If you're not, it would be great for you to have a CB, which will be our default means of communication. Points of interest, breaks along the trail, and the need to stop for spotting or other assistance will be among the subjects of conversation. If you do not have either a ham radio or a CB, and you cannot get one before the trip, worry not. We will put you in the middle of the group so you won't get lost or unaccounted for. If you need to get someone else's attention, you can just stop and blow your horn. Everyone is advised never to lose sight of the vehicle behind or in front of them, and if they do, they will tell the rest of the group.

Please discuss these points or ask any questions you like in this space, or DM me if you care to. Making this trip fun, safe, and a learning experience is everyone's highest priority.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
How about instead of CB we go with FRS/GMRS. Then you can just grab one of the blister packs of radios from Walmart and don't have to go through an install.

Reactions: sabjku and KAC

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
How about instead of CB we go with FRS/GMRS. Then you can just grab one of the blister packs of radios from Walmart and don't have to go through an install.
Terry, I have you listed as not going? I hope that has changed?

I find that when I go wheeling with people selected randomly (not my particular group) CB is still the most common communication format everyone has. I recommended CB based on that experience. If the majority wishes to go with another format, I'm happy to go along with that.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Ill put my vote in for ham/cb

But if everyone would prefer the frs/gmrs route. Let the group know so those of us who don’t have a radio have time to get one.

Last edited:
Reactions: KAC

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Terry, I have you listed as not going? I hope that has changed?
I'm not sure what happened there. I thought I had marked going.... I may have clicked not going after visiting the rally point again.

As for coms, I have a hand held CB I can use but I'm a Ham too. I just try to push FRS/GMRS when I can. CB is such a long wave length that a lot of its ability is lost with a HT.

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
I'm not sure what happened there. I thought I had marked going.... I may have clicked not going after visiting the rally point again.

As for coms, I have a hand held CB I can use but I'm a Ham too. I just try to push FRS/GMRS when I can. CB is such a long wave length that a lot of its ability is lost with a HT.
Glad you're in with us!

I agree with just about everything you're saying. Let's get a consensus from people as we go along as to what they have or are willing to get.

Reactions: TerryD

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Joining you guys on this day. I'm using a CB currently. I do want to get into HAM, but haven't taken the test or even looked into it yet. BTW, I google mapped the rally point, but it looks like it's just in the middle of town. Have you determined the meeting spot yet?

KAC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3TYX
Yeah, I'm going to firm it up soon. I do want to meet in the middle of town, and I want to do that at the location of one of the places that sell the permit we will all need to buy. Seems to me if everybody has to do it, we may as well meet there, then drive to the trailhead.

As always, other ideas are solicited and welcome.

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

Yeah, I'm going to firm it up soon. I do want to meet in the middle of town, and I want to do that at the location of one of the places that sell the permit we will all need to buy. Seems to me if everybody has to do it, we may as well meet there, then drive to the trailhead.

As always, other ideas are solicited and welcome.
I believe the Apple gas station in town sells the pass.

Reactions: KAC