Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

If I’m in town, I will be there! Just confirming, Saturday, November 18, 9 AM until 11 AM. Thanks for setting this up. We need more stuff like this. I just did the New Mexico backcountry discovery route from Ruidoso NM to Antonito Colorado. 
Correct! Awesome, looking forward to hearing about that!

So excited this many folks are interested.

I'll finalize the coffee spot soon and parking area (although it'll be very near the original rally point). I'm tempted to have a fallback date if the weather is less-than-desirable (eg. heavy snow, not great for discussing rig stuff outdoors) pending how flexible folks are.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
At this time I should be able to make it.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Hey ya'll, we've got 12 rigs RSVP'd - this is awesome. Halfway kicking myself for not doing this years prior.

I'm looking at spaces that can accommodate us - maybe after we show off rigs, we hang at a coffee shop. Can you all show me a +1 / +2 / etc on how many might be in your rig? Feel free to DM me if you'd prefer. Leaning towards finding something for 10-20 people.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Actually, I'll just assume +1 per rig, if someone is joining with their family or such - perhaps let me know. Once I have more info on options I'll likely have enough info to make a decision regardless, actual count may not matter much. :)

Updated location here on rally point to be this:

40.721314, -111.540432

Now to finalize the coffee shop spot, there's a few worthwhile options. Will circle back.

JeepNamedSarge

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Bend, Oregon, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Hey guys, I’m going to be out of town, but otherwise would love to participate in these things. Also, would love to have local people who want to head out on Overland trips. I’m a big fan of the BDR’s (Backcountry discovery route). Planning the Wyoming route in 2024. Cheers, Mike 

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

@JeepNamedSarge Going to miss ya, next time!

All,

A few details:

1. Still meeting here: 40.721314, -111.540432 - look for my truck (included photo at this location)

2. Afterward, we can discuss trail learnings, future trips, banter, future mods/rig plans, etc, at:

Cupla Coffee
1476 Newpark Blvd
Park City, UT 84098

Walking distance from location.

3. I'll have a radio on me set to Channel 20 / 462.675

We currently have 14 rigs RSVP'd.

Looking forward!

IMG_1860.jpg

jrza101

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Elk Ridge, Utah County, Utah, United States
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Riley
Yes indeed guys, was a great time and so good to meet everybody! Dustin, thank you for lightening my wallet by $2500 we hopped on and pulled the trigger on the Colorado4x4 RTT also, but man what a killer deal at $1200 off! Darin, what kind of help? Both Matt and I need to do our dual batteries and we were both saying we’re a little intimidated by it and that we should maybe do a workshop for anybody that wanted to or something?

Also, I think it would be cool to put together other workshops of our skills if people were interested. I’d be happy to do one on first aid/wilderness medicine basics if there was an interest.

Jesse

Contributor II

Sorry I didn’t make it. I had to put my leaf springs on my tundra this morning. Only day I had as my wife comes back into town tonight. Was supposed to happen last weekend, but alas. If you all get together again let me know. I’ll make it work.

Reactions: jrza101

darin.explore

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverton, Utah, United States
First Name
Darin
Last Name
Maxwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VAD
Yes indeed guys, was a great time and so good to meet everybody! Dustin, thank you for lightening my wallet by $2500 we hopped on and pulled the trigger on the Colorado4x4 RTT also, but man what a killer deal at $1200 off! Darin, what kind of help? Both Matt and I need to do our dual batteries and we were both saying we’re a little intimidated by it and that we should maybe do a workshop for anybody that wanted to or something?

Also, I think it would be cool to put together other workshops of our skills if people were interested. I’d be happy to do one on first aid/wilderness medicine basics if there was an interest.

Jesse
Workshops sound like a good option. I'm sure we can figure out the battery install. I'm fairly mechanical and with the right tools and info I'm willing to tackle most projects.

Reactions: jrza101

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Stuff came up and wasn't able to make it. Doing some workshops is a great idea and something we should really work on setting up.

CollieCruiser

Rank I

Contributor II

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Strautins
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Hate that I missed this, I've been shopping for a project 80 series at the right price to offset my "too pretty to fully pinstripe 200" and one popped up so I ended up on a last minute flight to Cali to pick it up. Next time I definitely want to join in and meet some other locals.

BOMBS

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

West Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
HOA
Last Name
HUYNH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WSAN860
Damn it!....I'd totally missed out on this meet up. My bad folks. I'll do better next time. I've been extremely busy with work. Trying to make some extra money for the holiday season and prepping for the winter season.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Hey ya'll.

Great to meet everyone at our last gathering! I left town a few days later and have since hosted a few events in Southern California. Doing some recon tomorrow for a few days and heading back to UT early January.

Before I jump to it...

@jrza101 , we're not responsible for purchases you make because of this group! :tearsofjoy: First aid/wilderness medicine basics could be rad, I'll keep that in mind and gauge interest in the future. I could host a Gaia Tech Talk discussion for offgrid mapping/finding dispersed camping/etc, too. Also, I got my dual battery set up last week - I'll be documenting everything (hopefully be done by the time I see ya'll next).

Let's get a new meetup on the calendar!

NOTE: Times are adjusted from our last meetup so we can increase probability of getting the same space we had last time. These dates are the last day of Sundance film festival. I'm thinking we do coffee first and secure "our space" then afterwards we can all walk outside and discuss "rig things."

-------------------------------------------------------

WHO: Us!

WHAT: Rigs and coffee with overland people

WHERE: 40.721314, -111.540432 parking, walking over to Cupla Coffee first then walking back to rigs

WHEN: Sunday, January 28, 2024, 6:45am - ~9am (we'll walk over to coffee at 7am sharp to secure our space)

WHY: Because. Outdoor vehicle-based adventure is fun.

------------------------------------------------------

I'll update the main rally point to reflect this. Hopefully this date works better with some others this go around, too.

Photo from last gathering...

IMG_1929.jpg