Rank I

Enthusiast I

Elk Ridge, Utah County, Utah, United States
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Riley
Hey ya'll.

Great to meet everyone at our last gathering! I left town a few days later and have since hosted a few events in Southern California. Doing some recon tomorrow for a few days and heading back to UT early January.

Before I jump to it...

@jrza101 , we're not responsible for purchases you make because of this group! :tearsofjoy: First aid/wilderness medicine basics could be rad, I'll keep that in mind and gauge interest in the future. I could host a Gaia Tech Talk discussion for offgrid mapping/finding dispersed camping/etc, too. Also, I got my dual battery set up last week - I'll be documenting everything (hopefully be done by the time I see ya'll next).

Let's get a new meetup on the calendar!

NOTE: Times are adjusted from our last meetup so we can increase probability of getting the same space we had last time. These dates are the last day of Sundance film festival. I'm thinking we do coffee first and secure "our space" then afterwards we can all walk outside and discuss "rig things."

-------------------------------------------------------

WHO: Us!

WHAT: Rigs and coffee with overland people

WHERE: 40.721314, -111.540432 parking, walking over to Cupla Coffee first then walking back to rigs

WHEN: Sunday, January 28, 2024, 6:45am - ~9am (we'll walk over to coffee at 7am sharp to secure our space)

WHY: Because. Outdoor vehicle-based adventure is fun.

------------------------------------------------------

I'll update the main rally point to reflect this. Hopefully this date works better with some others this go around, too.

Photo from last gathering...

View attachment 270860
That’s a good lookin’ group! Also, Matt, fine, I’ll take responsibility for my own irresponsible spending! I’m excited to learn from your dual battery setup as well brother.

JeepNamedSarge

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Bend, Oregon, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Let's get together.

Coffee first to discuss gear, trail learnings, trip planning, mods, life things then outside to discuss rigs.

6:45am - 7am arrival, 7am sharp we'll walk over to coffee (to secure our space)

Cupla Coffee
1476 Newpark Blvd
Park City, UT 84098

Note: if you're new to this and don't have much to discuss about your set up, we'd still love to meet you and learn about how overlanding/vehicle-based adventure fits into your world.

Wow that’s early! I’ll try to make it.

jrza101

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Elk Ridge, Utah County, Utah, United States
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Riley

Let's get together.

Coffee first to discuss gear, trail learnings, trip planning, mods, life things then outside to discuss rigs.

6:45am - 7am arrival, 7am sharp we'll walk over to coffee (to secure our space)

Cupla Coffee
1476 Newpark Blvd
Park City, UT 84098

Note: if you're new to this and don't have much to discuss about your set up, we'd still love to meet you and learn about how overlanding/vehicle-based adventure fits into your world.

Wow that’s early! I’ll try to make it.
That’s an early one for us too, we’d have to be out the door about 6:30 so I can tell you now that my wife is out.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I will be working that Sunday, so I will be out.

UtahBlues

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Park City, UT, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Bednar
Member #

I’m thinking that might be too early. Certainly for the folks that have a drive.
I plan on attending regardless.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

I thought that might be too early, thanks all for speaking up. How about this: let's plan for that Sunday, I may adjust the time and coffee venue, same location. I may move back to 9am again and plan for a backup option if the coffee shop is packed. Appreciate ya'lls flexibility while I dial in the groove of this group!

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Also. Thumbs up this post if interested in a San Rafael Swell trip or north of 70 February 9-11. Leave Kimball Junction (where we meet up) 6pm on the 9th. I'll likely start a separate thread with all people who like this. I'd prefer north of the 70, I've never explored out there!

Dustin_S

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Riverton, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Shypkowski
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Also. Thumbs up this post if interested in a San Rafael Swell trip or north of 70 February 9-11. Leave Kimball Junction (where we meet up) 6pm on the 9th. I'll likely start a separate thread with all people who like this. I'd prefer north of the 70, I've never explored out there!
That would be great! Looking forward to the next get together. Thank you Matt!

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

I started a new thread for a Feb 9 - 11 trip. Let me know if you'd like to be added there otherwise I added most people from our rally point.

In terms of our Sun 28th meetup, I'll finalize time soon. I'm leaning towards 9am coffee or a 11:30am lunch - main challenge is a space where we can all be together. I'll revisit options mid-January.

Happy new year!

Reactions: Dustin_S

RXH

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Park City, Utah, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hollingworth
Member #

Service Branch
The Royal Navy
Can't make this one, but wanted to know if anyone from Park City is attending Overland Expo West in May? We will be there and happy to host a drinks and snacks meet up.

Reactions: Dustin_S and BOMBS

BOMBS

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

West Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
HOA
Last Name
HUYNH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WSAN860
I might be able to make it. It depends on my work schedule. I will try and make the effort.

jpcobe

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Layton, Davis County, Utah, United States
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Coberly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV999
Service Branch
US Army (Retired)
I'll try to make the 28th. 7 is early, but I'll be honest, I'm up by 4 most days, so it wouldn't be a show-stopper for me. Whatever time you pick works on my end, and won't be the factor in whether I make it.

Thanks for putting these together!

I'm 'hoping/planning' to make the 9-11 FEB trip.

darin.explore

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverton, Utah, United States
First Name
Darin
Last Name
Maxwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VAD
It's confirmed, work is sending me to Malaysia next week so I won't be able to attend. Please keep me posted any future meetings/trips. Still not sure about Fed 9 - 11 trip, its on my radar.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Hey ya'll. FYI, I'm thinking we could do an early lunch somewhere in Kimball, likely still walkable from original parking destination.

I'm going to go scout some spots this week. Revised time is likely 9am coffee or 11:30am lunch first then check out rigs after.

Doing what I can to ensure we can get a space together!

Looking forward to seeing ya'll -

PS. Side note, I'd be curious if anyone has a Midland MXT575 in the group.

BOMBS

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

West Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
HOA
Last Name
HUYNH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WSAN860
Hey ya'll. FYI, I'm thinking we could do an early lunch somewhere in Kimball, likely still walkable from original parking destination.

I'm going to go scout some spots this week. Revised time is likely 9am coffee or 11:30am lunch first then check out rigs after.

Doing what I can to ensure we can get a space together!

Looking forward to seeing ya'll -

PS. Side note, I'd be curious if anyone has a Midland MXT575 in the group.
I'm in favor of the 11:30AM meet for lunch. Coffee can be consumed at anytime, it doesn't necessarily has to be consumed at 06:45AM or 9:30AM.

matthewg

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

I travel full-time.
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Gaa
Member #

Ok ya'll. I landed in the middle on time (excuse my optimistic on an early start, oh the things I do to secure space...). I surveyed restaurant options. I found a place that's respectable.

Let's do a 9:30am meet.

We'll walk over to Hearth & Hill at ~9:55am for a brunch.

Here's their brunch menu if interested: Park City Menu | Hearth and Hill

We can reconvene afterwards too.

I've got a 10am RSVP in for 16 currently (we had 15 last time!). Talked with manager today. If you could PM me if you're able to make it / how many, that'd be helpful. Although we'll be flexible, I can add more if necessary.

Appreciate everyone's patience and flexibility on timing... we'll find our groove on location/etc.

We can also discuss our trip Feb 9th - 11th (I have another thread on that, let me know if you're not on it). I was thinking somewhere north of the 70 north of San Rafael Swell, open to discussing though (I haven't checked temps/weather currently).

(This is all updated here: Park City – Overland People Meetup )

Looking forward -

Reactions: BOMBS and Dustin_S