King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
I decided to trade in my '17 Ford Explorer for my JLU Rubicon at the end of the summer. I've had a '03 TJ for fun rides for 1.5 years, but my kids hated the back seat. After looking every which way to see if a 5th gen Explorer could be improved for off pavement experiences, I decided it was better off as a trade-in for the Rubicon. Somehow, I was able to convince my wife of that as well!

I would have gotten to this point regardless of the pandemic; however, it was a much easier decision without competition from other typical family activities that were temporarily not available.

Attachments

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I decided to trade in my '17 Ford Explorer for my JLU Rubicon at the end of the summer. I've had a '03 TJ for fun rides for 1.5 years, but my kids hated the back seat. After looking every which way to see if a 5th gen Explorer could be improved for off pavement experiences, I decided it was better off as a trade-in for the Rubicon. Somehow, I was able to convince my wife of that as well!

I would have gotten to this point regardless of the pandemic; however, it was a much easier decision without competition from other typical family activities that were temporarily not available.
Congrats on the new Jeep, made a similar move last summer. How is that external gas can mounted? I had the 4.5 gallon Rotopax tank mounted on the Rotopax “hinge mount” on the JKU and the mount destroyed itself on the trail. Not a lot of places to put gas cans on a Wrangler I know but if you have the hinge mount you may want to consider adding some big tough fender washers on the outside of the mount where the bolts go through and into the tailgate. My mount ”bent out” and departed the top bolt and was hanging on by the bottom bolt before someone let me know on the radio. Thank goodness we had a truck in the convoy that could carry my busted mount and tank. Still use the tank in my new ride.

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Congrats on the new Jeep, made a similar move last summer. How is that external gas can mounted? I had the 4.5 gallon Rotopax tank mounted on the Rotopax “hinge mount” on the JKU and the mount destroyed itself on the trail. Not a lot of places to put gas cans on a Wrangler I know but if you have the hinge mount you may want to consider adding some big tough fender washers on the outside of the mount where the bolts go through and into the tailgate. My mount ”bent out” and departed the top bolt and was hanging on by the bottom bolt before someone let me know on the radio. Thank goodness we had a truck in the convoy that could carry my busted mount and tank. Still use the tank in my new ride.
Ouch!

I'm using this mount from Retrofit Offroad: Jeep JL Rotopax Tailgate Hinge Mount | Retrofit Offroad
The only problem is when I go up in tire size, I'll need to find a new solution. However, I'm not in a rush and will just wait until I need new tires to go up to 35s (or more?). Also, this mount only works up to 2 gallon Rotopax containers.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Ouch!

I'm using this mount from Retrofit Offroad: Jeep JL Rotopax Tailgate Hinge Mount | Retrofit Offroad
The only problem is when I go up in tire size, I'll need to find a new solution. However, I'm not in a rush and will just wait until I need new tires to go up to 35s (or more?). Also, this mount only works up to 2 gallon Rotopax containers.
That mount looks more substantial, looks like it has two layers of metal where the bolts go through into the hinges. The Rotopax mount had slots where the bolt went through for adjustability and that was the downfall.

Reactions: outside.perception

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Just saw this post and wanted to get in in the action. This was my biggest pandemic purchase. Started April 2020, still not finished. But are projects like this ever finished? 25' x 27'.KIMG0229.JPG
Did it all myself with a couple of work days with friends. Had to pay an electrician to pull the permit and run the 100A service from the house. Saved myself a lot of money doing it that way. Now I have a place to build trailers

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Just saw this post and wanted to get in in the action. This was my biggest pandemic purchase. Started April 2020, still not finished. But are projects like this ever finished? 25' x 27'.View attachment 230734
Did it all myself with a couple of work days with friends. Had to pay an electrician to pull the permit and run the 100A service from the house. Saved myself a lot of money doing it that way. Now I have a place to build trailers
Nice!! Great job!