Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

He's planning on a Hefty in aluminum with swing out. But it would totally derail his current build plans.

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I went about installing the rear shocks today (Bilstein 5100's). The old shocks were a total pita. The passenger side I was able to literally break in half at the stud due to rust. The nut wasn't moving at all.

The driver side just took forever moving the nut one mm at a time. I'd get about one full turn before I needed a break. I refused to go buy a sawzall just for this.

I finally got both off and new shocks installed. The truck already rides so much better. It just feels more together and isn't bouncing all over the place. I have a newborn at home after all so it's one piece at a time. Hopefully I'll get the front struts on tomorrow and then rear shocks on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

minnesotamatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Champlin, Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Beglinger
Member #

I went about installing the rear shocks today (Bilstein 5100's). The old shocks were a total pita. The passenger side I was able to literally break in half at the stud due to rust. The nut wasn't moving at all.

The driver side just took forever moving the nut one mm at a time. I'd get about one full turn before I needed a break. I refused to go buy a sawzall just for this.

I finally got both off and new shocks installed. The truck already rides so much better. It just feels more together and isn't bouncing all over the place. I have a newborn at home after all so it's one piece at a time. Hopefully I'll get the front struts on tomorrow and then rear shocks on Friday.

I had 5100s on my JKU. Not sure if you posted but can you post what you purchased for your GX? I've got a GX as well and would like to convert front and rear to new springs and probably 5100s. Did you have to purchase a "conversion kit" to replace the rear airbags?

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I had 5100s on my JKU. Not sure if you posted but can you post what you purchased for your GX? I've got a GX as well and would like to convert front and rear to new springs and probably 5100s. Did you have to purchase a "conversion kit" to replace the rear airbags?

Bilstein 5100's front and rear. I can post part numbers later but their for a 07-09 FJ or 4Runner.

112-620 Toytec/Eibach Front springs on bottom perch.

Toytec Superflex rear springs

MetalTech 4x4 Airbag Conversion Kit. They sell one with spring isolators and one without. Get he one without and order isolators on amazon. It's cheaper that way.

Should give me about 1.75 in of lift.

I can post part numbers later.

minnesotamatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Champlin, Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Beglinger
Member #

Bilstein 5100's front and rear. I can post part numbers later but their for a 07-09 FJ or 4Runner.

112-620 Toytec/Eibach Front springs on bottom perch.

Toytec Superflex rear springs

MetalTech 4x4 Airbag Conversion Kit. They sell one with spring isolators and one without. Get he one without and order isolators on amazon. It's cheaper that way.

Should give me about 1.75 in of lift.

I can post part numbers later.

Thanks, this is super helpful! I've had a hard time understanding what does and doesn't fit for the 470. Even though it's essentially a 4Runner in many ways, I'm worried I'd buy the wrong parts. Plus the rear air bags just throw more confusion in the mix.

When ditching the rear airbags, do you do anything with the air compressor or just leave it there?

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Thanks, this is super helpful! I've had a hard time understanding what does and doesn't fit for the 470. Even though it's essentially a 4Runner in many ways, I'm worried I'd buy the wrong parts. Plus the rear air bags just throw more confusion in the mix.

When ditching the rear airbags, do you do anything with the air compressor or just leave it there?

Some have ditched the compressor and some haven't it's really up to you. I think some have tried to use it for tire inflation but it's not enough power. I've also seen some say you can get high dollar on eBay for them.

Sikoffalln

Rank 0

Traveler I

Good looking rig! I'm really debating picking up one of these or a cruiser/lx470. With 3 kids now and possibly 1 more in the next year or 2 it is a toss up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Good looking rig! I'm really debating picking up one of these or a cruiser/lx470. With 3 kids now and possibly 1 more in the next year or 2 it is a toss up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was my motivation. I have two kids and need all the room I can get. I'll likely add a trailer one day as well.

Reactions: Sikoffalln

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Installed a CB Radio and Antenna. I went with a Cobra 75WXST paired with a Firestik MK-204 Adjustable SS Door Jamb Mount and a 4ft Firestik Black Firefly.

The install was pretty easy although I had to add a few washers to two of the screws on mount due to a little indentured in the body right there.

The control unit for the radio is mounted under the shifter panel and the mic unit is mounted to center console.

All in about $150

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I need/want to do a cb install so bad. How do you like the cobra

Member #4113
I like it so far. I had read a lot of positive reviews other than some needed an external speaker because the handheld speaker isn't loud enough. I haven't had that problem yet but my rig isn't that loud currently. I also like that it can be mounted fairly discreetly.

Reactions: minnesotamatt

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Great build. Nashville area here as well. We have a 3 year old and are having another boy in June. We should hit some trails. I'm in an LR3.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: MagnoliaOverland