Overlanding to Southeastern Utah

• HTML tutorial

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

Headed to Southeastern Utah next month to Hovenweep NM and the Bears Ears NM / BLM lands. I've a lot of research on the area on line, BLM website, AllTrails, Friends of Cedar Mesa, YouTube, etc. Looking to hike the canyon trails, exploring the ruins and rock formations. Any pearls of wisdoms and special places I should not miss? Thanks.

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Headed to Southeastern Utah next month to Hovenweep NM and the Bears Ears NM / BLM lands. I've a lot of research on the area on line, BLM website, AllTrails, Friends of Cedar Mesa, YouTube, etc. Looking to hike the canyon trails, exploring the ruins and rock formations. Any pearls of wisdoms and special places I should not miss? Thanks.
Contact the local Member Representative @Cendee she is very knowledgeable regarding the area.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Are you planning on going over i70 and down or down through Ouray/Cortez?

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Sounds like fun, I would definitely recommend Mesa Verde if you're headed down that that area, but that is one area of Utah I haven't explore much..yet! I'm excited to hear your trip report.

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

I'm back from my trip to southwestern Colorado and southeastern Utah. Sawyer (my dog) and I had great weather. We saw and did a lot of things, traveld some great road both paved and dirt asnd got a little off roading in. We saw faboulous geologic and archeologic sights; petroglyphs, ruins, The Goosenecks, Cedar Mesa, Natural Bridges National Monument, and Vallley of the Gods. I'll be posting some pictures soon, here is my 8 day route, fabulous area, you just have to put up wiht all the red dust. :)

1st half
1st half of route.jpg

2nd Half

2nd half of route.jpg

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

A panoramic view from Muley Point, Utah around 1,000 above the lower mesa. In the distance you can see the San Juan Reiver carving its way through the lover mesa . Monument Valley is in the distance.

View from Muley Point.jpg

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I love Muley Point and the Moki Dugway. Next time you go that direction, plan a few extra days and run the Hole In The Rock trail. Its a long 2 day trip or a easy 3 day trip since its a rough out and back about 50 miles each way.

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

I love Muley Point and the Moki Dugway. Next time you go that direction, plan a few extra days and run the Hole In The Rock trail. Its a long 2 day trip or a easy 3 day trip since its a rough out and back about 50 miles each way.
Thanks for the tip. This was my first trip to the area, a reconnoissance trip if you will and my second overloanding trip. I plan to go back with the next year. New to the area, so I am in an exploring mode. Next trip shortly, Northern New Mexico.

Kdj

Rank 0

Contributor I

Naptown
Spent the night at muelly point last year. The stars were unbelivable, this coming from someone who lives east of yhe mississippi. Looks like you had a great trip.