Overlanding is not Elitist!

• HTML tutorial

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I can appreciate any rig and anyone who enjoys exploring with their rig of whatever making. That is why we all joined these forums, I hope...
However, to make this personal, I get a lot of criticism for not having a rear diff locker, instead being equipped with a factory center diff locker.
Cheers to all of you out there.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Pffft... I drive a Subaru, and no one takes them seriously. But from the factory, my Outback has more ground clearance than a Cherokee of Grand Cherokee. Sure, it has longer overhangs, and can't be modified as much. But as someone else noted, Grant at Offroad Subaru has turned his 2015 Outback into a serious off road machine capable of going places many wouldn't dare.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Pffft... I drive a Subaru, and no one takes them seriously. But from the factory, my Outback has more ground clearance than a Cherokee of Grand Cherokee. Sure, it has longer overhangs, and can't be modified as much. But as someone else noted, Grant at Offroad Subaru has turned his 2015 Outback into a serious off road machine capable of going places many wouldn't dare.
My Jeep is a moderate build. Always a work in progress. And stock, Jeeps are very capable. But I bet a lot of the people on here could run circles around me on the trails in a Yugo. It's not what you drive, but how you drive it. I learn a lot on forums like this, regardless what the person drives.

Reactions: Byron Eby

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

On the Appalachian Trail (AT) they have a saying, "Hike your own hike". It has lots of means but for this subject it means do what works for you. What rig you use, how you build it, and what gear you put into it has to be right for you and how you are going to use it, what style of Overland you chase after.
We have a similar saying in motorcycling. In group rides new riders sometimes try to keep up with more experienced riders; we say, "Ride your own ride."

The same is true for off roading. There are guys and rigs out there that I wouldn't follow, and there are a lot of people who shouldn't try to follow me. Do what is comfortable, have an adventure.

My granddad would take the family up old mining and logging roads in the family station wagon, adventure is where you find it.

Reactions: WUzombies

JESSE N

Rank 0

Traveler I

It seems that if you drive a wrangler, a defender or anything 4x4 from Toyota, your cool. Anything else and you're a Wanabee. I've never owned any of the above but I still have a blast off road and have thrown a tow rope to a few of them. Life's too short to care about it. It is annoying though to deal with someone who thinks there rig is better than yours for no real reason. A lack of that is why I like this forum so much.
I AGREE WITH YOU.......I LOVE MY DAKOTA I REALLY DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS BUT I REALLY WISH I HAD A TACOMA THO....

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

No pics, but the other side of the pickup still has tree sap embedded in the paint lmao

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

In the Eastern Sierras, the scrub will shred clearcoat...sounds like nails on chalkboard. I wish I could find a company that makes molded magnetic armor...

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I was quoted $4k for a full body, paint matched rhinoline. With prep.

Need to hit the lottery...

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Here in FL the trails tend to be pretty narrow and will destroy a paint job in no time.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Back OT, we don't want this website to be elitist towards any one vehicle, but it sure does seem like a lot of Nissans have joined the fold lately :wink:

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Just dealt with a customer who literally laughed in my face when we got on the subject of Jeeps and I stated I had a Grand Cherokee WJ. He said "That is not a Jeep, that is a wannabee" I about kicked him out of my office with my size 14 boot up his ass. So, from some research I guess there are quite a lot of "Jeep Snobs" out there. This annoys me. My WJ is just as capable as your mall-crawling chromed-out Wrangler.

Ok rant over....

Anyone else ever dealt with, we will generalize it as "Rig Snobs"? You know, the people who think what they own is the best?
I just don't fuel the fire. I don't respond, or I laugh and say something to the affect of, "Yup, you have a mighty fine rig." I don't even want the conversations to start. It's missing the point.

M

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I'm not that kind of rover owner. [emoji3] I really like jeeps and most boxy makes. I like having a more unique model, but you can do that with many brands and many years. I still like the common newer JK though. Modding those must be a blast... So much choice.
The few LR owners I've met and that got their rigs dirty were all very nice people.