Overlanding is not Elitist!

• HTML tutorial

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Make and model of cars = the debate of Windows vs. iOS, or Android vs. iPhone, or XBOX vs. PS4....
Its all subjective to the user.
Personally I dont care what you drive. IRL I like joking with my friends about their chevy, dodge, jeep, honda, et al. I fully expect them to tease me back about my Ford.
Couldn't agree more!

(I believe) Brand loyalty pushed via the corporate machine/monster have a lot to do with this. It is quite refreshing to be in a group so ready and willing to break the mold.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: dubbinchris

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Aww man, now you got me thinking that I want to sell my 4Runner and buy something out of the ordinary and build it instead. Hmmm, a Sidekick, Bronco II, Grand Vitara, S10, Ranger, Pinzgauer, Scout II, Traveler, Blazer Chalet, Grand Wagoneer, Cherokee, Pup, Luv, Rodeo, Montero, TownAce, Trooper II, or maybe a Baja. So many to choose from and all of them have Overland potential.

Reactions: JsinLegacy

JsinLegacy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kingman, AZ
Member #

Aww man, now you got me thinking that I want to sell my 4Runner and buy something out of the ordinary and build it instead. Hmmm, a Sidekick, Bronco II, Grand Vitara, S10, Ranger, Pinzgauer, Scout II, Traveler, Blazer Chalet, Grand Wagoneer, Cherokee, Pup, Luv, Rodeo, Montero, TownAce, Trooper II, or maybe a Baja. So many to choose from and all of them have Overland potential.
Why not a Dodge Neon

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

My stepfather, Bill, epitomized the spirit of overlander as it pertains to OB and its founding principles. It was never about who you were or where you came from to him, nor was it about what you "drove". His rig for "over"-landing was a 1947 Stinson.

LandPirate

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

One of the reasons I so quickly became an OB member was the concept that '...it doesn't matter what you drive.' I really enjoy the concept of a helpful community of people sharing adventure, not just an X car community. Of course there is specific knowledge to be gleaned from specific manufacturer's sites, but for general adventure, knowledge and sharing I think this is a great way to go. I very much like the non-pretentious nature of this group.

Reactions: NW David and Phase2

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

@Steve Doesn't get much OVERland than in the air!

@Graeman Nah, when he was still with us he'd fly to remote airports all over the place and camp under the wing most small town airports are cool with it.

While he was alive he tried to teach me a lot. One quote I remember most from him was:

"(David) it's not who you are, it's how you treat the people you encounter."
-William Sayre

I don't know if he got it from someone else.
It wasn't until later that I realized he wasn't just blowing smoke up my a.. he genuinely wanted to help me be a better person. But I digress; great thread!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Nice photos, @NW David !

I've got movies of Dad landing the Taylorcraft in the field behind our house. He'd keep it tied down in the backyard over winter, and then fly back to the local airport before the field was plowed in the spring.

As a kid, we'd fly to grass strips all over Ohio, sometimes staying with his friends. I loved to fly, but never learned, as I just enjoyed having my nose (and later lens) glued to the window. I could take off and fly, but I never could get the approach and landing right.

Dad's Taylorcraft
Dad with Taylorcraft.JPG

Youngest daughter on her first flight, and getting her EAA Young Eagle cert.
i-btDfX8Q-X3.jpg

Hands on for the first time!
i-tdZsFgm-X3.jpg

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Make and model of cars = the debate of Windows vs. iOS, or Android vs. iPhone, or XBOX vs. PS4....
Its all subjective to the user.
Personally I dont care what you drive. IRL I like joking with my friends about their chevy, dodge, jeep, honda, et al. I fully expect them to tease me back about my Ford.
Totally subjective, but good ribbing I've seen is usually all in fun! I know someone who is fixing up a Ford Mustang. I give him crap for it being a Ford with the usual Failed On Race Day or Found On Road Dead and he hits me back with Can Hear Every Valve Rattling On Long Extended Trips (CHEVROLET), but all in fun. What do we drive: He a Jeep Wrangler, me a Jeep Grand Cherokee!

To me, it's all about getting out on the road. If it's a Jeep, great! If it's a Land Cruiser, great! If it's a Ford Pinto, great! Whatever it is that gets you out, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I give him crap for it being a Ford with the usual Failed On Race Day or Found On Road Dead and he hits me back with Can Hear Every Valve Rattling On Long Extended Trips
I used to get "Fix It Again, Tony!" :) I never head one for my VWs.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have not seen that driving around town. Really hoping I do because if I did I would have to stop and talk to them about it.
He has 2 of them. Lives in Kingman year round. He bought this one to take off of the Blazer and is going to put it on a Suburban. So it will be awhile before you see it drive around town. His other one is in pristine condition and is in his 6 car garage with some other pristine vehicles and bikes.

JsinLegacy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kingman, AZ
Member #

He has 2 of them. Lives in Kingman year round. He bought this one to take off of the Blazer and is going to put it on a Suburban. So it will be awhile before you see it drive around town. His other one is in pristine condition and is in his 6 car garage with some other pristine vehicles and bikes.
I'm going to have to keep an eye out now for it. Hopefully I come across it.

And man, I wish I had a 6 car garage.. haha... with the cars to put in it.

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

I had an old FJ40 and have a friend that was 'AMERICAN ONLY'

I passed by him once up in the Napa Valley - in an outlying area - just sitting in his Flat Fender between two large mounds of dirt (from an old gas station tank removal site)
I rolled around to say hi - and he looked panicked..... asked him what was wrong - turns out that he decided to drive over both mounds.... made the first one - then gunned it for the second one and snapped his rear axle (327 conversion).... then put it into front wheel drive to attack the mound....

Only to discover that his front driveline was a smidge too short..... and popped out as his front axle hit the apex.....

He refused help from me solely because I was driving a non-American 4x4....

'Ok bye......'

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
My first love is motorcycles but I occasionally cheat on my Triumph with a boxy Jeep JKU.

I find with bikes and 4 wheel drives I've never seen one I don't like.

There's a mathematical formula for the number you should aquire. It's N + 1 = the correct answer, where N is the number you already have ;)

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryD and jdunk