Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

it's about the people :-)

And we got the best people here. Period.
I find this to be the absolute truth. I've stopped going to so many forums because of snobs and shallow minded people. Any vehicle which is intended for offroad use is just as capable as the next and even though I drive a Jeep, I still have respect for Toyota's, Land Rovers and the like.

Reactions: Michael

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

This is a great thread! It's funny, maybe just human nature to always think "What I have is better than what you have!"

The "snobbery" is kind of silly, but I have to say, the specific vehicle-centric threads are great and even helpful. That way if I am looking to see what someone did with a vehicle that's the same as mine, I can start there as possible someone will have faced the same issue as I have - if a vehicle-specific issue. But, as someone mentioned earlier, possibly several mentions, I really like looking at ALL the stuff people have done...I'm a "gear head," what can I say!

But that's just me, and I'm always right and everyone else is wrong![emoji12]

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

tbh I always wanted to get my hands on a VW thing (the 181) and mod it into a camping vehicle.

because they're silly as shit, but also awesome.

I hear they make them into dune buggies a lot these days.

Reactions: Boort

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The Aztec is awesome looking. I do get tired of seeing the same vehicle over and over on the trails. I currently have a Toyota, but that is because my Chevrolet was stolen and I needed a vehicle quick. I do not think that there is a vehicle that I would not like to have for off road or Overlanding. I like seeing something different than the norm and I really like watching a good driver make his/her vehicle perform well off road. If I had the money I would personally buy a Pinzgauer and set it up for Overlanding - mainly because not many people have heard or seen one and they are just plain awesome to watch off roading. My plan is to some day own one, but until then I will be in my boring 4Runner. lol

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

The Aztec is awesome looking. I do get tired of seeing the same vehicle over and over on the trails. I currently have a Toyota, but that is because my Chevrolet was stolen and I needed a vehicle quick. I do not think that there is a vehicle that I would not like to have for off road or Overlanding. I like seeing something different than the norm and I really like watching a good driver make his/her vehicle perform well off road. If I had the money I would personally buy a Pinzgauer and set it up for Overlanding - mainly because not many people have heard or seen one and they are just plain awesome to watch off roading. My plan is to some day own one, but until then I will be in my boring 4Runner. lol
I mean, had I a wild abundance of money I'd go out and build one of those rally fighters, because unf, they're pretty.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Those are mostly built in Phoenix/Chandler, Arizona. They are a kit and you have to come out and finish building it yourself. That way it is considered a kit car and does not have to be crash tested and comply with all of the rules that manufacturers have to deal with.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Veritablehatter

Never had a Thing, but have been on a ride in a Swimwagen on a lake! The looks on every ones faces as we rolled down the boat ramp in to the lake, dropped the prop and sputtered across was a trip.

I wish I had a pic of the guy the time I pulled his Wrangler off a rock with my $250 Baja Bug. Dude was pissed, His friends were LOL'ing all over the trail.

Boort

Reactions: Veritablehatter

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I used to go exploring in my Cavalier. It had several big dents in the floors to prove that too! Overlanding doesn't only mean off-roading. As far as I'm concerned, throwing a backpack full of clothes into a Miata and running RTE 66 would still count. It's about the adventure more than anything. I like off-roading and I'll be doing off-roading, but I'm not going to put down someone who doesn't.

The Miata trip is a bucket-list thing for the wife and I. We kinda fell in love with an 08 Miata with the paddle shifted auto (bad clutch knee from years on the farm) and will have something like it eventually. We'd have THAT one, but they pissed me off and I wound up buying the Xterra instead since it makes more sense with 3 kids at home right now... Stupid adulting...

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

@Veritablehatter

Never had a Thing, but have been on a ride in a Swimwagen on a lake! The looks on every ones faces as we rolled down the boat ramp in to the lake, dropped the prop and sputtered across was a trip.

I wish I had a pic of the guy the time I pulled his Wrangler off a rock with my $250 Baja Bug. Dude was pissed, His friends were LOL'ing all over the trail.

Boort
Speaking of amphibious cars, this popped up in my feed yesterday...

http://www.businessinsider.com/lyndon-johnson-played-terrifying-prank-with-his-amphicar-2014-8

"The President, with [White House secretary] Vicky McCammon in the seat alongside him and me in the back, was now driving around in a small blue car with the top down. We reached a steep incline at the edge of the lake and the car started rolling rapidly toward the water. The President shouted, "The brakes don’t work! The brakes won’t hold! We’re going in! We’re going under!" The car splashed into the water. I started to get out. Just then the car leveled and I realized we were in a Amphicar. The President laughed. As we putted along the lake then (and throughout the evening), he teased me. "Vicky, did you see what Joe did? He didn’t give a damn about his President. He just wanted to save his own skin and get out of the car." Then he’d roar. "

Reactions: Steve

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
Make and model of cars = the debate of Windows vs. iOS, or Android vs. iPhone, or XBOX vs. PS4....
Its all subjective to the user.
Personally I dont care what you drive. IRL I like joking with my friends about their chevy, dodge, jeep, honda, et al. I fully expect them to tease me back about my Ford.

Phase2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Berkley, MI
Member #

I drive a Jeep JKU. I love it because it's easy to build the way I want it. But I'm a "car guy" first. So I love all forms - particularly the rigs that are unique. Toyota, Jeep, full size pick-up, Subaru, Go-cart...doesn't matter to me. What I love more than the vehicle itself is finding someone passionate about talking to you about what they've done and plan to do without prejudice.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I drive a Jeep JKU. I love it because it's easy to build the way I want it. But I'm a "car guy" first. So I love all forms - particularly the rigs that are unique. Toyota, Jeep, full size pick-up, Subaru, Go-cart...doesn't matter to me. What I love more than the vehicle itself is finding someone passionate about talking to you about what they've done and plan to do without prejudice.
Could not have said it better, myself. :)

Reactions: Phase2