Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I AGREE WITH YOU.......I LOVE MY DAKOTA I REALLY DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS BUT I REALLY WISH I HAD A TACOMA THO....
There's nothing wrong with that Dakota. Maybe not as much aftermarket than the Toyota, but you do have a good basis to start your overlanding.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Back OT, we don't want this website to be elitist towards any one vehicle, but it sure does seem like a lot of Nissans have joined the fold lately :wink:
Still awaiting the fabled American Diesel Nissan Patrol

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I was on a Jeep forum today and a guy asked about an overland build. Another person asked what that was. And this is a direct quote from I guess a rock crawler. "fancy word for street jeep really. Make it look like it can, but never see's more than a curb. People tend to build a look, with no intention to go anywhere." So even in the Jeep community, there is snobbery. Sad really. I'll wheel with anyone, anytime. I don't care what they drive.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I was on a Jeep forum today and a guy asked about an overland build. Another person asked what that was. And this is a direct quote from I guess a rock crawler. "fancy word for street jeep really. Make it look like it can, but never see's more than a curb. People tend to build a look, with no intention to go anywhere." So even in the Jeep community, there is snobbery. Sad really. I'll wheel with anyone, anytime. I don't care what they drive.
That's the issue with most Jeep forums. They tend to be filled with rock crawlers and if you're different they're quick to judge. One of the reasons why the only thread I look at on a Jeep forum is the one about overlanding.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That's the issue with most Jeep forums. They tend to be filled with rock crawlers and if you're different they're quick to judge. One of the reasons why the only thread I look at on a Jeep forum is the one about overlanding.
On the JK forum there's a really good thread about expedition modded jeeps, over 400 pages long. Think it took me two days to get through it.

Reactions: stoney126

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Some of these folks need to remember that the basis for "Jeep" is "GP", what the military abbreviated General Purpose to.

General Purpose.

A very overlanding orientated term, I feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShawnR

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

There was an ICOM, a Kenwood, and a Yeasu I was considering for my first rig, I was just able to get the ICOM in town and used for a good price.
The radio I've owned, and regret selling the most was an Icom. 746Pro is a FANTASTIC HF Rig for the money....

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'm with you that I will wheel regardless of what their rig is but they have to have the right attitude, that guy does not. I do know what he is talking about though and it's not overloading. At least here for the past several years there is a trend for people to buy JKUs, build them up with lifts, larger tires, bumpers and so on yet they never leave pavement. They are just going for the look and apart from the underside being show room clean another indicator is the winch bumper with either no winch or an ATV winch just for looks.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I'm with you that I will wheel regardless of what their rig is but they have to have the right attitude, that guy does not. I do know what he is talking about though and it's not overloading. At least here for the past several years there is a trend for people to buy JKUs, build them up with lifts, larger tires, bumpers and so on yet they never leave pavement. They are just going for the look and apart from the underside being show room clean another indicator is the winch bumper with either no winch or an ATV winch just for looks.

The way I look at it, even if they are just building a mall crawler, who cares??? I'd hate to spend that kind of money on a new decked out Jeep to just take it to a trail and scratch it or dent it up. That is why I bought an older Jeep, now it won't make me sick if i scratch it.. That being said, she got more than a scratch over the weekend.

I fought a lightpole and lost.....
20160102_224923.jpg

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

The way I look at it, even if they are just building a mall crawler, who cares??? I'd hate to spend that kind of money on a new decked out Jeep to just take it to a trail and scratch it or dent it up. That is why I bought an older Jeep, now it won't make me sick if i scratch it.. That being said, she got more than a scratch over the weekend.

I fought a lightpole and lost.....
View attachment 1165
Saw your post about the light pole, that really sucks and sorry about it.

I have to laugh at the attitudes of some of the people I met that do this but agree, it's their rig and they should do whatever they want with it. It does suck when you have a brand new rig you have dumped a bunch of money into and you hear those new scratches getting applied as you go down the trail. I bought mine specifically to wheel it so never really lost any sleep over it. When I had my '06 H3 (what I got started wheeling in) I got a '74 Scout Half Cab to take out wheeling so I wouldn't tear up the H3. That didn't last long as I missed the creature comforts of the H3 and kept taking it instead. Need to get back to working on the Scout but I think it's going to be more of a restoration than a wheeling project.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

The funny thing is that most the people with this attitude are all hat and no cattle.
Sure they go off road in their massively built Jeeps, but they don't go anywhere I can't go in my little Nissan. Driving something without 40" tires and a bunch of traction aids makes you a better driver, your skill is what gets you up the trail, not just pointing the headlights and letting the machine do all the work. It's the same reason the best motorcycle riders I know spent a lot of time riding slow motorcycles (EX250, for example); it makes you develop the skill needed to make the machine do what you want.

I've met guys with this attitude out on the trail, and they are always befuddled at how the "mall crawler" XTerra managed to get up the same trail they just did. It kind of takes the wind out of their sails when they realize they aren't the end-all be-all off road King of the trail.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Couldn't agree more, it's comes down to the driver as much as it does the rig. I have run into it many times where I am told I shouldn't follow but just keep right up with them. One thing the hard core rock crawlers don't get is that the road days of an overland trip can be just as hard on a vehicle as the trail days. They don't have a clue because even though they might call us mall crawlers they tend to be nothing more than trailer queens. While it would be fun to have a rig that can conquer most anything I through at it my attitude living in FL is that I don't want a rig that I have to travel 10 hours just to get to anything that will give it even the slightest challenge.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I was heavily vested into the local offroad recovery group here. I love helping people in need, we did it for free. All hours of night or day.

It was hard on my rig and my finances.

Ultimately my reason for leaving was this, i was the only rig that was not a jeep.

I got sick of it, you can only pass off the insult of a mans investment into your cause as a joke for so long.

It was an investment of my time, the maintenance of my equipment, my gas, all if the above.

I drug up amd never looked back, just like any other following jeeping has its shitbirds. You can go to a land rover site, a hummer site, a bronco site, a diesel site... the A holes all smell the same, just look a little different. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

I was heavily vested into the local offroad recovery group here. I love helping people in need, we did it for free. All hours of night or day.
That is really cool. You remember the Chisholm Trail Jeep Club pulling semis up the interstate during the ice storm? I was so impressed by their actions that I bought two of their t-shirts to support their cause (the money went to support service dogs). I do feel your pain, my wife and I have tried several time to get involved, the last being with the Red Cross. Each time we run into someone who felt threatened or had to be in charge.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

That is really cool. You remember the Chisholm Trail Jeep Club pulling semis up the interstate during the ice storm? I was so impressed by their actions that I bought two of their t-shirts to support their cause (the money went to support service dogs). I do feel your pain, my wife and I have tried several time to get involved, the last being with the Red Cross. Each time we run into someone who felt threatened or had to be in charge.
Yep, i am hopeful for OB to stay wode open like it is. The world needs a place like this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk