RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Yes I mean extending the body over the wheels 99% of the trailers you see are just a box with wide fenders seemed like a lot of wasted space
If I had more room in my trailer, I know I'd just bring more useless junk that I don't need. Trying to keep[ the weight at 1000# I'm glad I made it small. My 4' X 5' X 24" box, with a 125# RTT and 15 gal of water weighs in at 1125#.......I'm shocked it weighs so much.

Gmanpaint

Rank II

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Gregg
Last Name
M
T

wow a lot of advertising over there... guess I won’t be able to read it :(
Yeah sorry about that. Unfortunately when your not a logged in member, all that advertisement shows up. I forgot how much of it there is, since I am not only a member, I am a Moderator and see no adverts at all.

I added a few basic pictures on the previous post, with the build thread link for you.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah sorry about that. Unfortunately when your not a logged in member, all that advertisement shows up. I forgot how much of it there is, since I am not only a member, I am a Moderator and see no adverts at all.

I added a few basic pictures on the previous post, with the build thread link for you.
Thank you. Nice looking fenders you built up.

Reactions: Gmanpaint

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Here's my Lil' Adventure Trailer. It is based off a heavily modified 4' trailer frame I bought from Harbor Freight on-line years ago.

Here's a build thread: Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - JeepForum.com

The tongue has been extended, a cooler tray placed up front, frame reinforced, slipper springs swapped out for longer springs with a shackle at the end, shocks, 3500lb axle with electric brakes, 235/75/15" tires on 15x7" rims, and a custom diamond plate tub made by Diamond Deluxe (they build hunting dog boxes). And a bunch of stuff bolted to the front/back/sides of the tub. A Cabela's double sized tent-cot acts as a RTT (with a custom cover made for it).

I've put thousands and thousands of miles on this trailer with no issues. It is simple, and it works.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Here's my Lil' Adventure Trailer. It is based off a heavily modified 4' trailer frame I bought from Harbor Freight on-line years ago.

Here's a build thread: Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - JeepForum.com

The tongue has been extended, a cooler tray placed up front, frame reinforced, slipper springs swapped out for longer springs with a shackle at the end, shocks, 3500lb axle with electric brakes, 235/75/15" tires on 15x7" rims, and a custom diamond plate tub made by Diamond Deluxe (they build hunting dog boxes). And a bunch of stuff bolted to the front/back/sides of the tub. A Cabela's double sized tent-cot acts as a RTT (with a custom cover made for it).

I've put thousands and thousands of miles on this trailer with no issues. It is simple, and it works.
Sorry but that isn't a harbor freight any more. I have one like you started with that I bought in 1998 for $149.00 as a kit. You have a very nice trailer but if someone is going to build a trailer start from scratch and save the cost of the kit trailer. IMO.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Sorry but that isn't a harbor freight any more. I have one like you started with that I bought in 1998 for $149.00 as a kit. You have a very nice trailer but if someone is going to build a trailer start from scratch and save the cost of the kit trailer. IMO.
You are correct; the exact little 4' Harbor Freight trailer I bought and used to start the thread is no longer sold at HF. It actually was never sold in the store; it was sold through their website.

But the thread isn't just about my build (although I use mine as an example a lot); I wanted to start a thread for any little 4' trailer frame used as a starting point (and get other folks' builds). That's why the thread is titled: Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread. Pretty much all these types of C-Channel little trailer are about the same; the same principles for modifying them apply across the board. You can even use one of the 4x8' trailer frames and narrow & shorten it for use as a little adventure trailer.

There is a bit of a discussion in the thread HF type trailer thread about the different types of 4' trailer frames (black frames like mine and yours vs the red ones that HF and other places sell). And some places (I think like Northern Tool) sell the exact same 4' trailer frame as HF but in black. I've also seen them sold in aluminum.

You MIGHT be able to same some money by building a little trailer from scratch. Provided you have the skills & knowledge, equipment, welder, and your local tag place will register a home-built for you (some states are more difficult than others). One nice thing about building one from a place like HF is it comes with paperwork to easily get a tag. Plus you have the frame and everything else right there - you don't have to start from scratch. Instead, you can take the trailer kit and go from there. Some folks need a kit to start with.

Last edited:

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Good post Army Nurse.....you are correct. Homebuilt Tags are an issue and sometimes a PITA depending on where you live. And starting from scratch involves ordering lots of steel, and lots of cutting and welding. Most folks are not set up for this. But many can handle wood working and modifing a HF kit trailer. A reasonable starting point for many.

Reactions: kwill

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Doing a homebuilt is not hard in Colorado. You do have to have the State Patrol inspect it before you can get your title and tags. I think that ran $20.

Arizona is the same. A simple inspection and then they put a VIN sticker on the trailer and you are good to go.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I picked up a 2017 Manley ORV from a member in Connecticut yesterday. Thanks Ken! Before our first trip I'd like to get an awning and I'm looking for ideas for telescoping awning mounts.
That's a sharp little rig. Have fun with it !

Reactions: brian0128