Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
To each their own. What works well for one, doesn't for another. The fun part in this hobby, is we get to do it how we want, and/or change it as we go.

My reason for having the box between the wheels, is for protection on the trails. It helps with Off camber rocking into objects and for brush rubs.

I made my full length fenders out of thick wall DOM tube, to act as sliders, and protect the body. Made external storage boxes to use the space above them, and a place to store propane tanks. So it's not a total loss of space this way. I can also stand on them when unpack/packing the RTT.
Do you have any more pictures of your trailer?

Gmanpaint

Rank II

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Gregg
Last Name
M
Do you have any more pictures of your trailer?
Here is a link to the build thread. Hundreds of pictures and detailed info.

Edit to add pictures for @Slimpartywagon :

RTT on front pass side full view.jpgRTT raised b4 opening.jpgRtt open dr view.jpgAwning & RTT open.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PA Chuck D

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
T
Here is a link to the build thread. Hundreds of pictures and detailed info.

wow a lot of advertising over there... guess I won’t be able to read it :(

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I wrote a couple of articles today for my website. Article one talks about the history of the trailers I have owned along with a brief review of our Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer. (We love it by the way)

Article two is a simple Pros and Cons list of all of the trailers I have owned.

Regardless of whether you purchase an off road trailer or build one I hope you can find my experience helpful.
Great write ups! I've recently converted our M101A1 from a trailer with a RTT to a trailer with a camper shell and I have to agree there is a lot to be said for sleeping in a teardrop style trailer, especially in inclement weather, or in our case, windy deserts!

After looking at all the options of teardrops over the past few years, if I were to purchase a off road teardrop it would be the Off Grid 2.0. The construction and features you get in my opinion is the best bang for the buck hands down.

Battstrax

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kingsport, TN, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Batts
Member #

What type of trailer do you plan to build (expedition, tear drop, etc.) and to you have specific or even general needs for the interior width. Do you plan to sleep in it for example?
Might be a little bit of both there is 5 of us so tough about the bottom for storage middle put a bed in it and put a tent on top with an annex that you can get out of the middle in the annex I’ve got an image in my head but by the time I’m done I’m sure it will change

Reactions: Old Griz

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Great write ups! I've recently converted our M101A1 from a trailer with a RTT to a trailer with a camper shell and I have to agree there is a lot to be said for sleeping in a teardrop style trailer, especially in inclement weather, or in our case, windy deserts!

After looking at all the options of teardrops over the past few years, if I were to purchase a off road teardrop it would be the Off Grid 2.0. The construction and features you get in my opinion is the best bang for the buck hands down.
I appreciate the feedback. As mentioned in my article everyone has different budgets, needs, skillsets (I have none :) ) Whatever works! Just get out and explore.

I came across this company today, Vistabule Teardrop Trailers . They make a very pretty teardrop. It isn't off-road worthy but there are some really cool design features. Kudos to the folks that designed it. Fine for forest roads but not trails. Also same price as my Off Grid with comparable features. It's great to have choices though.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Might be a little bit of both there is 5 of us so tough about the bottom for storage middle put a bed in it and put a tent on top with an annex that you can get out of the middle in the annex I’ve got an image in my head but by the time I’m done I’m sure it will change
That's the one thing you can count on! My tear drop has the bed above the top of the wheels with storage under that's accessible from both the outside and the inside. It works for us. Your idea of separate sleeping areas is good especially if your kids are young … they get bigger!

Reactions: Battstrax

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I agree with building it wider if you are going to load a bunch of gear, like the highlift, propane, water heater etc, and for security enclose it all. Rather than having everything exposed and screaming steal me. But having followed both styles the outboard tired trailers definitely rock side to side much less. I believe that is a result of a different polar moment.

this..
MMTT-580x389-PNG-20.jpeg

vs this..
HI-580x389-PNG-20.jpeg

Follow both of these overland and the more stable ride of the trailer with outboard tires is obvious.
These both have similar height, track and overall length.

I used to think god those outboard fenders look awaful, but having towed both, I now understand the advantage of outboard tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwill

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

What sort of tent is this? I don't see the equivalent on CVT's current website.
So I had the same question after I purchased it. I stopped in twice to the Cascade Vehicle Tent store in Bend, OR and asked them the same question. What I found out was that my tent is a first gen Mt. Masama, which I believe is no longer.

I was and am extremely pleased with the condition in which it is in and the quality of how it was constructed. Once fully opened, it measures 14'x14' with the annex. The only thing that I have begun to consider is the opportunity for quick setup and diverse landscape. I'm redesigning the Bantam trailer and potentially swapping over to a RTT that I'll mount on a raised platform with adjustable ladder for more options on setup locations.

Reactions: QCrunner

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

We purchased an Off Grid Trailer Expedition 2.0 this past Black Friday weekend. I've not had a chance to go camping with it yet, but I have taken it out for a shake down run and a photo op. So far I'm pretty impressed with its offroad performance.

Attachments

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

We purchased an Off Grid Trailer Expedition 2.0 this past Black Friday weekend. I've not had a chance to go camping with it yet, but I have taken it out for a shake down run and a photo op. So far I'm pretty impressed with its offroad performance.
Nice setup

Reactions: Etoimos

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Great setup! How much wider is it than the Jeep? Our current military trailer is just slightly less wide than our JK which is really nice on trails, but I've been eyeing the Expedition 2.0 for some time now and the width is really my only concern.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Great setup! How much wider is it than the Jeep? Our current military trailer is just slightly less wide than our JK which is really nice on trails, but I've been eyeing the Expedition 2.0 for some time now and the width is really my only concern.
Thanks, I'm really liking it. My current plan is to replace the JKUR with a diesel Gladiator (if the numbers look good) as the tow vehicle. The JKUR pulls the trailer pretty good, but my 5.13 gears and 37" tires make it not so much fun here in the mountains.

The JK, JL and JT are all right under 74" wide and the OGT Exp 2.0 is 89" wide. So that means it hangs out about 7" on both sides. I was a little worried about the width as well, but I actually like of like it. Not only is it more stable in tippy situations, being able to actually see the fenders makes it much easier to back up and to keep a better eye on it when doing down the road.

I've been trying to think of the types of trips I'll be taking it on and if the extra width will be an issue. I'm not sure it will as just pulling a trailer would keep me off any trails where it would be that tight of a squeeze anyway.

OGT-0781.jpg

Reactions: PA Chuck D