Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
When I used our 3/4 ton as a courier truck, I had to get a 20 lb extinguisher. Usually because we'd deliver on sites in the oil sands. It's in a bracket near the tailgate for quick access.

Now that I'm in a different line of work, when the time comes, we'll sport a couple smaller units.

Overlanding Downunder

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Comollatti
Member #

... i also recommend that you get one with a Hose/Nozzle, then you can pop the hood, stick it under, and pull the trigger, instead of having to open the hood all the way.
I fully agree and would like to push the idea of having a Fire Extinguisher with a hose/nozzle.

In Australian we have a grass call Spinifex.

If you drive through Spinifex when it is dry it pack itself up between the under-body armour, exhaust and vehicle body. When it catches on fire it is hard to put out with a fire extinguisher with NO hose. Some fire extinguishers will not work on their side or upside down. This makes it hard to put an under-vehicle fire out, unless you have very high clearance. If the fire extinguisher HAS a hose/nozzle it makes it a bit easier to feed the hose under the vehicle.

The suggestion if driving in Spinifex country every time you stop for a break, pull out any build-up of Spinifex from under the vehicle. A piece of fencing wire with a hook is handy for this. Stops you burning your hands on exhaust.

Colin

justin marsh

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Miriam Vale QLD Australia
Member #

I fully agree and would like to push the idea of having a Fire Extinguisher with a hose/nozzle.

In Australian we have a grass call Spinifex.

If you drive through Spinifex when it is dry it pack itself up between the under-body armour, exhaust and vehicle body. When it catches on fire it is hard to put out with a fire extinguisher with NO hose. Some fire extinguishers will not work on their side or upside down. This makes it hard to put an under-vehicle fire out, unless you have very high clearance. If the fire extinguisher HAS a hose/nozzle it makes it a bit easier to feed the hose under the vehicle.

The suggestion if driving in Spinifex country every time you stop for a break, pull out any build-up of Spinifex from under the vehicle. A piece of fencing wire with a hook is handy for this. Stops you burning your hands on exhaust.

Colin I totally agree with you there Colin they are more affective

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ

David.44mag

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Garland Texas
Member #

Hi, I'm a fire alarm/extinguisher tech, and there is a lot of good info in this post. An A.B.C. extinguisher is the best all around for vehicles. And I would say if you have the space to mount one outside the vehicle to do it. Go up to a 10# if you have the room. A 10# outside and a 2 1/2# under a seat would be a really good combo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using OB Talk mobile app

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have mine mounted where I can access it immediately.

Only downside is if a short person needs to drive my Jeep they will have to remove the extinguisher from its mount in order to move the seat forward. That is not a problem within my own household, but it would be a deal killer for others.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

One thing you want to do is take it off its mount and shake it real hard, the powder in the extinguisher will settle and compress from vibration, this will loosen the powder inside so it will work properly, I usually do this routine maintenance once a year.

Curtis2010

Rank III

Advocate II

Panamá
As a sailor, who's planning to get more into Overlanding, Im surprised that battery shut offs are so uncommon on vehicles (at least stock ones). Battery shut offs are standard equipment on cruising boats. In case of an electrical fire this immediately stops feeding power to the fire and turns a class C fire into a simple, and fading, class A fire.

First thing to do in a class C fire is kill the power...otherwise the heat from the short just continues to build until something burns thru and breaks the short circuit. Discharging an exinguisher on a class C fire does nothing but extinguish burning material...the source of the fire is still alive and well.

My Jeep XJ does not yet have one either. A few years ago on a road trip from Guatemala to Panama I had a major short on a remote back road in Nicaragua. Thought the Jeep was gonna go up in flames, or at least totally fry the electrical system, before I could get battery terminal disconnected.

I plan a major refit of the Jeep next year. A "Battery Brain" is already in my stock of goodies to install. This is not only a low voltage protection device, but a manual (or remote) shut off too.

How many of you have installed battery shut offs?

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I have mine mounted where I can access it immediately.

Only downside is if a short person needs to drive my Jeep they will have to remove the extinguisher from its mount in order to move the seat forward. That is not a problem within my own household, but it would be a deal killer for others.
I like the idea of keeping it close to the driver as that is where it will be needed during an emergency. I always thought mounting it to a roll bar or in the back may prevent the driver from reaching the extinguisher.

Mine is mounted between the driver's seat and the door and has a plastic holder that allows it to be ripped out pretty quickly for emergencies.

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

SilveradoTX

Rank IV

Advocate II

I like the idea of keeping it close to the driver as that is where it will be needed during an emergency. I always thought mounting it to a roll bar or in the back may prevent the driver from reaching the extinguisher.

Mine is mounted between the driver's seat and the door and has a plastic holder that allows it to be ripped out pretty quickly for emergencies.

I agree. Closer is better. I'm planning to place another one in the front that can be grabbed quickly.

Reactions: Roxxie and Lead K9

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ

Good place for sure, I say that one of your fire extinguishers should be at arms reach when you are strapped in. That be wheels down or if you find yourself wheels up

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

2stoned

Rank 0

Traveler I

Denmark
Many good inputs here on the needs for a way to extinguish a fire in your vehicle.
Instead of a powdered messy media or the wet solutions that are no good with electrical fire, I went for another solution:
Fire-Stryker. extinguishes fire in: A-B-C plus some more like E (some gasses) and K (cooking oil etc.) Leaves no trace to clean up.
It is the size of a signal flare and is started the same way (striking a big match). After igniting is spews out a potassium jet for 25 to 100 sec. (depending on size)...
That is quite a bit longer than your typical foam or powder extinguisher. Weighs about a pound, but apparently as effective as a 2.5 pound or more powder extinguisher.
Extremely compact and no problem with shelf life at all. Sold mainly through marine or racing shops.
I keep one in my vehicle and one in my kitchen. I like it so much that I bought a handful and gave them to siblings and family.
Have not used one in anger yet (very expensive).
I am sure there may be other somewhat similar options out there.

Reactions: Roxxie