Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
I’m 95% sure I’m going is anyone else going down or have gone down with kids before?

Reactions: Ed1774

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I volunteered with OEE in 2018 and 2019. I helped to secure camping for us in 2019 and it went well. I am once again working to secure the same camping area. 2019 had about 30 members camping together. I am hoping we can double that this year. Also I'm thinking of doing a burgoo one night for members. This requires a massive cast iron kettle. Before I haul it there please let me know if that is something ya'll would be interested in.
Just stumbled across this thread, help a total noob out. My wife and I are planning on going, but the camping we're a bit unsure on. Long story short, we haven't done anything resembling camping in 7 years (and then it was campground glamping), so our gear is questionable at best, and she's a bit concerned from the few videos we've poked through on how packed it looks (most of the videos I've seen make it look like Woodstock crowded). Is it really as tight as it looks in the videos, or does having a group area grant a little more breathing room? And since I'll have to dig through and figure out what of my gear is still usable or needs replacing, what's kind of the baseline that we'd need?

On the burgoo topic, I have to admit I had to google to see what that was. I'd give it a try. :)

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

I just bought my tickets and am looking forward to Expo. I volunteered in 2019 and had a great time. Unsure if I'm going to be there Thursday night or Friday morning, but I'll figure it out. Would love to camp in the OB area!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Message @Ohio Valley Overland he is setting up the group camping area.

This is where the expo info is on the forum;

Halfbreed_Ovrlandr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evans, GA
Member #

Me and 2 others will be going. We usually go to Uwharrie to stay over on Wed (its pretty much half way for us) and then make our way to Arrington on Thursday.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Sure would be nice if someone could merge the two main threads talking about Overland Expo East. Well, Friday I bought my ticket to Overland Expo East and went with the premium package with some lessons etc, this will be my first time attending. I'm driving up from NW Florida on Tuesday, going to overnight in Mount Mitchell State Park, NC Tuesday and Wednesday night and get to the Expo mid day on Thursday! On my return I'll leave Sunday and camp at Cloudland Canyon State Park in Georgia and return home on Monday. If anybody else wants to meet up at Mount Mitchell State Park and drive up together let me know, I'm camping in Site #5! On the way back I'll be in Cloudland Canyon State Park East Site 57! Hopefully we'll get given some info on how to find the Overland Bound camping area before we get there!

Last edited:

Halfbreed_Ovrlandr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evans, GA
Member #

Sure would be nice if someone could merge the two main threads talking about Overland Expo East. Just bought my ticket today and went with the premium package with some lessons etc, this will be my first time attending. I'm driving up from NW Florida on Tuesday, going to overnight in Mount Mitchell State Park, NC Tuesday and Wednesday night and get to the Expo mid day on Thursday! Hopefully we'll get given some info on how to find the Overland Bound camping area before we get there! If anybody else wants to meet up at Mount Mitchell State Park and drive up together let me know, I'm camping in Site #5!

Was just up there about 2 weeks ago. There and Grand Father Mtn, Table Rock Mtn, HotSprings NC and Nemo Tunnel in Wartburg Tn. Planning on another trip around there next month.

Reactions: Viking1204

TNoutdoors

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Tennessee, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
ODell
Member #

Haven’t purchased my ticket yet. Thinking of going with a friend. He and I are both getting started in this adventure. Is it worth taking both rigs or should we just stick to 1 for our first event?

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Haven’t purchased my ticket yet. Thinking of going with a friend. He and I are both getting started in this adventure. Is it worth taking both rigs or should we just stick to 1 for our first event?
This will be my first time as well, so not speaking from experience, but if it was me, I'd make that decision based on if you're doing the driving experience bit. If so, I'd think both rigs because you'd each want to learn in your rig. Otherwise...

TNoutdoors

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Tennessee, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
ODell
Member #

This will be my first time as well, so not speaking from experience, but if it was me, I'd make that decision based on if you're doing the driving experience bit. If so, I'd think both rigs because you'd each want to learn in your rig. Otherwise...
That’s good advice! Thanks. Have some decisions to make about classes. Still in the early phases of build and experience. The budget is a little tight so at this point I have to choose between class or modification.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

That’s good advice! Thanks. Have some decisions to make about classes. Still in the early phases of build and experience. The budget is a little tight so at this point I have to choose between class or modification.
Right there with you. Haven't done anything resembling camping in 5 (or maybe 7) years, and then it was campground glamping. We're going primarily for the education and ideas (trying to create a part time rig that looks pretty stock when not overlanding).