Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Food for thought - we have found that we can pack more food if we carry basic ingredients instead of pre-made food. Plus it's usually better. You just have to choose your food wisely regarding it's storability.
Absolutely 100% correct. We always bring raw ingredients and act like super chefs on our Coleman, our Volcano Grill and our MSR Dragonfly. Enoough for about 5 days out. However, we still do pack MREs from Mountain Home or Backpackers Pantry, for backpacking, after a really rough day of traveling, or in case of emergency...

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ok, will have a recepy or two here as well.
Problem, one is asian and indonesian. That is were my father came from.
So, it is called Saté, Sateh.

Well, take a good deal of sambal. this is like chilis, but in different tastes. Garlic, Ginger, and then we have a problem. Ketoumbar, Satéherbs, sugar and sojasauce.
Pork meat and scewers.
Anyway, it looks like this

I make it a lot, but out of my wrist, no real recepy.
Together with the Satésauce, which is made from the same ingredients but with peanutbutter. It is absolutely great.

Another dish is Fish very hot, Vis bedis.
Take alu foil. take garlich, chili (a lot) some small chopped onion, some herbs you just like. Close the foil and put it on the bbq.
It tast great.
I would love this recipe!

Reactions: murps

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Subscribing to this thread. I'm looking for some meal ideas for traveling. For example, I'll be driving from Pennsylvania to Arizona for Overland Expo West. What are some meals I can kinda make ahead of time (say, marinate in a bag), so that at the end of a long day I can fire up the stove and cook dinner with minimal setup/prep?

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Chili Con Carne

Info

Serves 5. Prep time 20 minutes. Cooking time 1 hour.
500g lean minced beef (10% or less fat)
2 medium onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1–2 tsp hot chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp plain flour
150ml red wine or extra stock
300ml beef stock, made with 1 beef stock cube
400g chopped tomatoes
400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
flaked sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Cook the mince beef and onions in saucepan on a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, keep breaking up the beef by squishing it against the pan. Add garlic, chilli powder you can adjust the chilli powder to your taste, cumin and coriander. Fry for a couple of minutes more. Add the flour and stir in well.
Then add the wine and stock, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and kidney beans. Now add the tomato purée, caster sugar, oregano and bay leaf. Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Reduce the heat to simmer, place lid on the simmer 3/4 of an hour, stirring in and out. Serve with rice or cover a jacket potato or even and salad.

Last edited by a moderator:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I eat so much better (both at home and camping) since I started dating my wife. She is Mexican and loves to cook but doesn't only cook Mexican food, although she does that very well. When we camp she plans the menu ahead of time and like to prep as much ahead of time as possible. One of our favorites (and one of the easiest) is biscuits and gravy. She makes homemade biscuits and sausage gravy the day before we head out and we pack them in the cooler. Just reheat the gravy, pop in a few biscuits and it's an amazing way to start the day.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Demitri's bloody mary seasoning makes an amazing steak marinade. Strait up no other ingredients.
Also makes bloody marys.

Last edited:

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Had a good time reading this thread- thought I'd resurrect with a few recent successful meals we've made.

First is personal pizzas on the Coleman oven. Used naan bread, a jar of pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Very quick and tasted great:

IMG_1599.JPG

I also found that many grocery stores sell a small "tub" of veggies for stirfry pre-sliced for about $5. Steak or sausage on the skottle first then add veggies and steam with a lid. Even my picky kids enjoyed it:

IMG_1619.JPG

Finally, I love a savory breakfast and find that defrosted tater tots make great hash browns on the skottle. Sausage or bacon first, then potatoes, and finish up with some eggs and enjoy. And I'm always impressed with how easily the skottle cleans up.

IMG_1791.JPG

LukeSkywalker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southern Cali
Member #

this is one of those threads that i wanted to find when i joined. yes. I like to use a wok or a metal skillet/griddle, and i can definitely make a bunch of these recipes on it!