First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Welcome!

I'm Michael and I accidentally created Overland Bound. I'm a backwoods country bumpkin from a town of 360 people. Seriously, my grade school was 70 kids TOTAL. My mom was the school nurse. We walked to the country store a mile away, and bought groceries "on the tab". The store owner knew the School District paid on the first of the month and my mom got paid every 30 days. It was fine. There was trust.

Now, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. To this day I do not lock my car, and we leave the front door of our home unlocked. I assume noble intent.

Growing up, my Dad was a U.S. Forest Ranger. He worked in the Sierras in the lookouts watching for forest fires. His love for the outdoors created my childhood, and natural comfort with surviving in the great outdoors. We back-packed, we went for walks to review plant names and uses. We hunted. Nature was everything.

I lost touch with this connection as I grew older. My career became my primary focus. I worked for Paramount Pictures, Electronic Arts and ran my own businesses in digital entertainment, it created a deficit that was building.

My 30s brought on marriage, 2 (awesome) kids, and then divorce. I found myself at the age of 40, divorced, My father passed at the same time, and I was unemployed. I was grasping for my roots. I took my 3 year-old son and 5 year old daughter to visit my hometown. It was a good, necessary anchor. On the drive home, my fast-paced-life-bought BMW 325i convertible got stuck in the snow. I watched my gas gauge go down to empty with the heater on, and wondered how I would keep my kids warm when the engine died. Luckily, CHP rescued us before that happened. It all came together in that moment. I needed to be comfortable again in the great outdoors. I would ALWAYS have a capable vehicle to get me there. The low point created an involuntary need to get away. I reacted like a primitive animal. I needed to escape. To connect with the great outdoors. Overland Bound was born.

I bought the FJ80, threw shit in the back, and drove into the Sierras. I was ill-prepared, but relied on what I had learned growing up. The result was absolute freedom. To this day, I do one solo trip a year. I bark at the trees, howl at the moon, and eliminate all stimulus besides me, my rig, and nature. I realized not everyone is as comfortable or knowledgeable as me in the great outdoors, and I have taken it for granted. Everyone needs to feel that connection to truly live.

I met Ms. Overland Bound, and she became a natural partner in all things adventure. She got to know me as a man who demanded this life, and loved me all the more for it (Corrie can tell you her story about her love for Overlanding.)

I want as many people as possible to experience self-sufficiency in the great outdoors. I want to make it accessible and attainable for everyone, without feeling easy. You can do it, but the very nature of existing off the grid makes us human. It should feel challenging, because it is. You can do it. Overland Bound will become as big as we can make it as a community. I believe it's possible to make a positive change in the world, and I believe we have started. I want as many people as possible to feel the freedom and self-reliance only a connection with the great outdoors can bring. Here is what Overland Bound believes:
  1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else. We will not further define "overlanding".
  2. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an overland vehicle is that it serves the job required, safely.
  3. We believe a connection with the uncivilized, unpredictable, and awe-inspiring wilderness is essential to human existence. Adventure is not optional.
  4. We leave it better than we found it.
  5. The requirements of the trip define "Dependable", and we take that very seriously.
  6. You are an Overlander. Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature.
  7. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  8. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  9. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements.
  10. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume. Help.
  11. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  12. We DO NOT engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  13. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  14. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  15. We don’t brag about exploits at the expense of others.
  16. We support those seeking answers, understanding we all start somewhere.
  17. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  18. We have fun.
These are the core values I want Overland Bound to stand for, and I’m excited to keep spreading the word about the overlanding lifestyle. I want you to spread the word too. You are saving lives.

Thanks for being a part of this journey!

Outfit & Explore

Podcast: "The Beginning"

Last edited:

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

its at least a 5 hour drive for me just to get somewhere with some decent trails thats not a small off road park. texas blows in that regard
I'm planning on driving some roads in the Sam Houston NF soon, even though that doesn't constitute "challenging" and is only "off-road due to not being paved. A lot of my local adventure is the search for abandoned Texas on the back roads and dirt roads. I've found and photographed some amazing things that way.

All the dirt roads in BBNP are worth while, but I think you already know that. :)

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I've been thinking about Sam Houston NF myself. Probably going to wait for hunting season to end though.
I'm only an hour away in Aggieland, and I'm on the hunt for out of the way camping spots for the family that are good for weekend trips. Ratcliff Recreation Area in the Davey Crockett is a good one.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Very well written @administrator it is awesome to know your story and background. I think one thing about this forum that is going to make it thrive is the heart and desire shown by not only the staff here but also by the forum members. Conversation and showing actual interest in other peoples threads can lead to great discussion and friendship. If i ever make it out that way i'd love to take a run with you OB clan. That being said, it is one heck of a drive for me...lol... a quick Google search from Indiana to California is a 33hr drive, but, I am an Overlander so i guess that is just around the corner, time will tell. ;)

Keep up the good work. I look forward to the future of the OB clan and spreading the word of what Overlanding truly is.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I was thinking they could make it one of the actual sections on the main forum page. where did you make yours at?
Looks like you found it! Forums, then scroll down to just above Support. You can start a Texas/NM group or something!

Reactions: Michael

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

its quick for me to go to pensacola, fl than to el paso, tx. We are massive! Thats why me and @cjones are saying it would be better to split texas up in the regions

Reactions: SLO Rob
Status
Not open for further replies.