Not open for further replies.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

that sounds like a fun run! maybe we should try and get a OB texas meet sometime, maybe in the spring?
That could be fun, even if it was only an afternoon meet and greet. I've been scouring Google earth looking for more dirt roads in my area (B/CS), but as of yet all I've found is a bunch of hill country stuff from the dual sport community. Eventually I'd like to have GPS tracks up on my website to match blog write ups of weekend camping excursions, dirt road adventures and such.

Reactions: SLO Rob

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

That was a great post laying the groundwork for the future of the site and forum, Michael.
I think this group of people has shown many of the same opinions as you do. That, I believe, is what will make this a long-term relationship for many. A love of the outdoors, people and vehicles seems to be a trend I keep seeing here.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
That was a great post laying the groundwork for the future of the site and forum, Michael.
I think this group of people has shown many of the same opinions as you do. That, I believe, is what will make this a long-term relationship for many. A love of the outdoors, people and vehicles seems to be a trend I keep seeing here.
Thank you!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I just wanted to say that I'm very glad for these simple guidelines and the open and welcoming atmosphere here. I tried to participate in (insert large overlanding forum that shall not be named) and found that the community there was divided by in-fighting, segmented into brand cliques, and was pretty much trying to eat itself alive. As a result, I didn't participate much and felt discouraged. I wanted an enthusiast community I could go to for support and guidance in planning my first major overlanding expedition but all I found were people wanting to spend tens- to hundreds- of thousands of dollars on rigs and equipment.

Then I found this community and the vibe is completely different. The people are friendly and supportive, give great feedback and don't take every chance to brag about how much money they spend. The focus really is on the travel; it makes it seem more accessible, more doable, than ever before. Since finding Overland Bound, I feel much more confident in my ability to complete my first major trip, more confident in my preparation, my skills, and my own experiences so far. The support I feel from this community has helped me get over the doubts I've had about whether or not I was prepared enough to actually do this trip and ensure the safety of everyone along for the ride.

In fact, my second expedition is already in the works, and I haven't even left for my first one yet.

Thank you.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

I just wanted to say that I'm very glad for these simple guidelines and the open and welcoming atmosphere here. I tried to participate in (insert large overlanding forum that shall not be named) and found that the community there was divided by in-fighting, segmented into brand cliques, and was pretty much trying to eat itself alive. As a result, I didn't participate much and felt discouraged. I wanted an enthusiast community I could go to for support and guidance in planning my first major overlanding expedition but all I found were people wanting to spend tens- to hundreds- of thousands of dollars on rigs and equipment.

Then I found this community and the vibe is completely different. The people are friendly and supportive, give great feedback and don't take every chance to brag about how much money they spend. The focus really is on the travel; it makes it seem more accessible, more doable, than ever before. Since finding Overland Bound, I feel much more confident in my ability to complete my first major trip, more confident in my preparation, my skills, and my own experiences so far. The support I feel from this community has helped me get over the doubts I've had about whether or not I was prepared enough to actually do this trip and ensure the safety of everyone along for the ride.

In fact, my second expedition is already in the works, and I haven't even left for my first one yet.

Thank you.
The only thing you need to actuall "overland" is a reliable vehicle, the will to get out and explore, and some basic camping supplies. Think of what the settlers did with what they had way back in the day on horses and wagons. They called it life back then, we call it adventure and Overlanding. It doesnt take a $100k rig and equipment to get out.

Glad you found a place you can call home for good information!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

Thank you.
Hey @TreXTerra

If I had to summarize why Overland Bound exists, I'd just use your post. That is exactly why we do it. We want to make it accessible to everyone. It's not an elitist club. Thank you for your comments. @CorrieOB and I appreciate it very much!

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
Welcome!

I'm a backwoods country bumpkin from a town of 360 people. My grade school was 70 kids TOTAL K - 8th grade, and my mom was the school nurse. We walked to the country store a mile away, and bought groceries "on the tab". The store owner knew the School District paid on the first of the month. It was fine. Trust.

Now, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. To this day I do not lock my car and we usually leave the front door of our home unlocked. I assume noble intent.

Growing up, my Dad was a U.S. Forest Ranger. He worked in the Sierras in the lookouts watching for forest fires. His love for the outdoors created my childhood. We back-packed, we went for walks. Nature was everything.

I lost touch with this connection as I grew older. My career became my primary focus. I worked for Paramount Pictures, Electronic Arts and ran my own businesses in digital entertainment; however, my thoughts always led back to a one basic need...nature.

My 30s brought on marriage, 2 (awesome) kids, and then divorce. I was a 40 year old adult, divorced, and unemployed. I was grasping for my roots, so I decided to take my 3 year-old and 5 year-old up to visit my hometown. On the drive back home, my BMW 325i convertible got stuck in the snow. I watched my gas gauge go down to empty with the heater on, and wondered how I would keep my kids warm when the engine died. Luckily, CHP rescued us before that happened. It all came together in that moment. I would never have an incapable vehicle. Also, this low point created an involuntary need to get away. I needed to connect with the great outdoors. I had to. Overland Bound was born.

I bought the FJ80, threw shit in the back, and drove into the Sierras. The result was absolute freedom. To this day, I do one solo trip a year. I bark at the trees, howl at the moon, and eliminate all stimulus besides me, my rig, and nature.

It was during this reconnecting time period that I met Ms. Overland Bound, and she became a natural partner in all things adventure with me. She got to know me as a man who demanded this lifestyle, and loved me all the more for it (Corrie can tell you her story about her love for Overlanding.)

I want as many people as possible to experience self-sufficiency in the great outdoors. I want to make it easy, and attainable, for everyone. Overland Bound will become as big as we can make it as a community. I really do believe it's possible to make a positive change in the world and I want as many people as possible to feel the freedom and self-reliance only a connection with the great outdoors can bring. Here is what Overland Bound believes:
  1. Overlanding is: "Vehicle Dependent Travel". Nothing else.
  2. We will not further define "overlanding".
  3. The requirements of the trip define "Dependable", and we take that very seriously.
  4. You are an Overlander. Overlanding is for everyone who has exploration and adventure in their heart, or who need to be reinvigorated by connecting with nature. Nature is unforgiving. You must rise to a certain level of personal awareness to survive. Sound right? Overlanding is for you.
  5. Encourage uncomplicated ventures into the great outdoors. Don't over pack.
  6. Be prepared, and understand basic requirements. Question folks, to be sure they are aware of what is required. Don't assume.
  7. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
  8. It doesn't matter what you drive: The only requirement of an Overlander is that the vehicle serves the job required, safely.
  9. We do not care about make or model.
  10. We do not engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
  11. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
  12. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
  13. We don’t brag about exploits.
  14. We seek answers from the community when we don’t know.
  15. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
  16. We have fun.

These are the core values I want Overland Bound to stand for, and I’m excited to keep spreading the word about the overlanding lifestyle. Thanks for being a part of this journey!

Outfit & Explore

Inspirational, I can relate still waiting for my Miss Overland.lol but I am able to get out and reset and relax. I am exploring more and this forum gives motivation and Inspiration. Thanks

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

This should be required reading for everyone who "visits". I too experienced some of the same online forum challenges others have mentioned and that puts you in a defensive mindset anytime you go into a new one. Every "community" has challenges, especially as they grow, but the culture is determined by the leaders, both formal and informal.

Overland Bound seemed different to me from the beginning from other online communities. After reading the original post on this thread and the replies it makes much more sense why. It was that which drew me to want to become a part of the community and to share it with those who would benefit from it.

Last edited:

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
@Cpl J

funny thing these sites do that to you. BTW Semper Fi! And go Ducks! Born and raised in Portland. Spent a few years in La Pine. Then did 23 years in the Corps. Saw you posted in another thread.
Yes, Semper FI I am originally from Nebraska I spent 10 years.Yes the Veterans forum I started. Where are you located now?

Reactions: Michael
Status
Not open for further replies.