Overland Bound Founding Principles

• HTML tutorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Rank 0

Contributor I

Michael--Overland Bound caught my attention awhile back as interest in overlanding has increased in recent years. Overlanding began to interest me because my hobby now has more of a title whereas in the past and to this day sometimes I'll tell people I like to combine off-road exploration and camping. Anyway, I came across these guidelines while lurking around the web and decided to chime in. First off I like #'s 2 and 3 as I feel people get caught up in that sort of thing a lot.

I wanted to address #8 "Share without reservation, trip locations, and information." mostly. I think as a "community" overlanders need to share locations and information cautiously. Having begun off-road adventuring prior to the internet being as easily accessible as it is today, I feel in recent years the internet has provided a means for information regarding locations to fall into the wrong hands. This may be inevitable though I've seen evidence and experienced first hand folks in the outdoors who had caused damage/defaced/trespassed/vandalized/etc. and seen or heard from the horses mouth they learned of the location via the internet. So, I believe that as a community we need to be cautious about sharing pictures, coordinates, etc. on the internet but also cautious not to be elitist or selfish with information (i. e. when asked don't ignore folks, help them figure it out). Another facet of sharing information is that we need to leave something for others to explore. I've seen posts so detailed (not necessarily here) that at the end I felt like I had already done that trip! I've also had a lot of folks allude to things I might find which rather than tell me details which I've found to be the most rewarding. Below are some links I feel address this issue appropriately:

http://calipidder.com/wp/2013/03/sensitive-locations-and-our-responsibility-as-bloggers/

Long story short...Overlanding focuses so much on our route, our destination, etc. to such detail that should very detailed trip reports in sensitive areas be shared for anyone to see it could result in a detrimental effect on a location or trail. With the internet being so accessible these days I've seen a lot of sensitive areas posted on social media with very specific details essentially dropped into the laps of folks who otherwise wouldn't normally do the homework to find such a place and thus (from what I've witnessed) may not treat the location quite as well. So, I'm here suggesting #8 be modified in order to preserve both the adventure and the landscape. Thanks!

Nick

Reactions: erinw.rrc

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Michael--Overland Bound caught my attention awhile back as interest in overlanding has increased in recent years. Overlanding began to interest me because my hobby now has more of a title whereas in the past and to this day sometimes I'll tell people I like to combine off-road exploration and camping. Anyway, I came across these guidelines while lurking around the web and decided to chime in. First off I like #'s 2 and 3 as I feel people get caught up in that sort of thing a lot.

I wanted to address #8 "Share without reservation, trip locations, and information." mostly. I think as a "community" overlanders need to share locations and information cautiously. Having begun off-road adventuring prior to the internet being as easily accessible as it is today, I feel in recent years the internet has provided a means for information regarding locations to fall into the wrong hands. This may be inevitable though I've seen evidence and experienced first hand folks in the outdoors who had caused damage/defaced/trespassed/vandalized/etc. and seen or heard from the horses mouth they learned of the location via the internet. So, I believe that as a community we need to be cautious about sharing pictures, coordinates, etc. on the internet but also cautious not to be elitist or selfish with information (i. e. when asked don't ignore folks, help them figure it out). Another facet of sharing information is that we need to leave something for others to explore. I've seen posts so detailed (not necessarily here) that at the end I felt like I had already done that trip! I've also had a lot of folks allude to things I might find which rather than tell me details which I've found to be the most rewarding. Below are some links I feel address this issue appropriately:

http://calipidder.com/wp/2013/03/sensitive-locations-and-our-responsibility-as-bloggers/

Long story short...Overlanding focuses so much on our route, our destination, etc. to such detail that should very detailed trip reports in sensitive areas be shared for anyone to see it could result in a detrimental effect on a location or trail. With the internet being so accessible these days I've seen a lot of sensitive areas posted on social media with very specific details essentially dropped into the laps of folks who otherwise wouldn't normally do the homework to find such a place and thus (from what I've witnessed) may not treat the location quite as well. So, I'm here suggesting #8 be modified in order to preserve both the adventure and the landscape. Thanks!

Nick
I've thought about this a lot! Education about proper use is key. I appreciate your viewpoint. Public lands are owned by everyone, not a select few. I want anyone to be able to experience the places I have. I'm approached by a lot of folks who disagree. "What are you doing? You'll ruin the outdoors!" There are 50% more people on the planet than in 1950. That is a serious issue! Keeping places secret is not a sustainable viewpoint in my opinion. It's our responsibility to educate and leave it better than we found it. I really do believe a connection, off the grid, with nature, makes us more balanced, better people, and that's good for everyone.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Watched your videos and enjoyed the message. I have been living the message for years and learned the basic philosophy in Boy Scouts. Pack it in and pack it out. Thanks for setting up this site and organization to share with others.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Just read this thread and watched the videos...great stuff! I really like the idea of a brand-agnostic networked help for overlanders. Forgive me for getting brand specific, but some Land Rover owners (myself included) belong to the Birmabright Brotherhood, which is basically a register of LR owners who are willing and able to help fellow LR owners in a pinch, especially when they're away from homebase.

Having something similar for overlanders/explorers, but brand-agnostic is a fantastic idea. Is there a sticky or specific thread for a global OB help network ( Forgive me for my ignorance, I don't really spend much time in the other overlanding forums)?

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Just read this thread and watched the videos...great stuff! I really like the idea of a brand-agnostic networked help for overlanders. Forgive me for getting brand specific, but some Land Rover owners (myself included) belong to the Birmabright Brotherhood, which is basically a register of LR owners who are willing and able to help fellow LR owners in a pinch, especially when they're away from homebase.

Having something similar for overlanders/explorers, but brand-agnostic is a fantastic idea. Is there a sticky or specific thread for a global OB help network ( Forgive me for my ignorance, I don't really spend much time in the other overlanding forums)?
Thank you!

As it so happens, I currently (like right now) have development going on for a global member map. It'll be for our members only due to the sensitive nature of member locations. You can see the beta version here:

Member Map (you need to be logged in). We want this map to grow in terms of functionality and size. Once we iterate on it with you guys in the forums and we feel it is ready to go, we'll start promoting it.

I would love to see how the "BIRMABRIGHT BROTHERHOOD" Trip planner and list works. I don't have a land rover, so I didn't register.

M

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I'd love to show you, but they might kick me out...[emoji6]. They try to keep it simple, so there's not much to it. its arranged by geography, and in the profile, each person indicates what vehicles they have, whether they have towing capabilities, wrenching facilities, spare parts, and whether they're willing to board overnight. There's a graphical member map, like here, that shows the members profile/contact info.

Haven't had to use the planner yet, so can't really comment.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Awesome thread and video Michael, I just purchased my jeep back in April of this year and I'm glad I found this forum and became an Overland Bound member. I live in the Central Florida area close to the Ocala National Forest and plan on exploring the forest with my wife and two boys. I grew up In Florida and was always camping with my parents and my other 6 brothers and sisters. I want to get my kids in the same routine with camping, exploring, site seeing, and just be on with nature like my parents taught me when I was my kids ages. Looking forward to sharing stories, information, and pictures as I overland and explore with you all. Like I said before really glad I found this forum with great members and glad to be a part of it.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Awesome thread and video Michael, I just purchased my jeep back in April of this year and I'm glad I found this forum and became an Overland Bound member. I live in the Central Florida area close to the Ocala National Forest and plan on exploring the forest with my wife and two boys. I grew up In Florida and was always camping with my parents and my other 6 brothers and sisters. I want to get my kids in the same routine with camping, exploring, site seeing, and just be on with nature like my parents taught me when I was my kids ages. Looking forward to sharing stories, information, and pictures as I overland and explore with you all. Like I said before really glad I found this forum with great members and glad to be a part of it.
Awesome! Thank you! That's what it is all about! Please let us know if you have any suggestions along the way! You can Pm me or @Michael me anytime!

Reactions: Jose and Luis Merlo

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Great Message!
We don't have "Public Land" per sae in Texas.
Doesn't mean you can't get out and explore. I've seen a lot of folks just go explore the back roads here.
Myself, I get out when I can to wheel in OHV parks (It's how I learned the capabilities of my rig) and go explore Big Bend and other places when I can.
I just joined overland bound today and have pretty much the same philosophy as you do.
Keep up the good work!20141229_114800 (Large).jpg

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all!

I've distilled the Founding Principles down to this. What do you think of it?

You are now a member of the fastest growing global Overlanding community. We believe overlanding is for everyone, and all that is required is a passion for adventure and a desire to explore!

Core Values of Every Overland Bound Member:
  1. Overlanding is vehicle dependent travel. That’s it.

2. It doesn't matter what you drive

3. Overlanding is for everyone

4. A connection with nature is paramount

5. Leave it better than you found it

6. The trip defines the requirements

7. Be prepared

8. Don't over pack

9. Help each other

10. There should be no barriers to information

11. Humility is essential

12. Seek answers from the community

13. Engage in the smallest of interactions

14. Have fun

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Hey all!

You are now a member of the fastest growing global Overlanding community. We believe overlanding is for everyone, and all that is required is a passion for adventure and a desire to explore!

7. Be prepared

8. Don't over pack

9. Help each other

14. Have fun

Got my vote Chief.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Excellent thread, excellent place to be.

I've never been brand specific and I've never liked those who like to show their money or show off with their "fancy" items. I've caught just as many fish with a $20 gas station fishing pole as I have with my expensive rigs. Are you being safe? good. Are you prepared? good. having fun? Great!

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Hey all!

7. Be prepared

8. Don't over pack

9. Help each other

14. Have fun
Not trying to be a smartass here, but what you mean with number 12? "Seek answers from the community". I get all the other value's, also had no problem with the original ones in the starting post. But don't really know how to take that one.. To me (maybe because English isn’t my first language) it comes across like you only can find information in the community not outside it. And I know you don’t intent it to sound like that.. that’s why I ask..

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

that was a great video! i cant wait to roll out there. i am still building up the new 4runner but we take it to the local spots now and then.
Thanks!
I'm heading out that way in 3 months. This time roughing it in the State Park for about 4 days. Going to try to traverse it on as many back trails as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.