Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I live up in North texas. im thinking of making some trips to the broken bow area. Any suggestions on some good trails in the area?
Welcome. Take a look at the MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) for the Oklahoma Ranger District (Ouachita National Forest - Home) to see what routes are open and then go wander around.
I am not sure you will find a bad trail out there. I would suggest that you at least venture up Holly Mountain Trail, it has a great view overlooking the lake.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
Overland Bound Rally June 7-9 at Byrds Adv. Center in Ozark Arkansas more information to come
Ironically I was looking for the info on this. I've got it in my calendar but havnt looked too much into it. Was planning on hitting the bonfire this weekend but work got in the way of that. Hopefully I can hit this trip. Seems like every trip I've had has been cold and raining. Would be nice to get the tent out and have the windows open for once.

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

Welcome. Take a look at the MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) for the Oklahoma Ranger District (Ouachita National Forest - Home) to see what routes are open and then go wander around.
I am not sure you will find a bad trail out there. I would suggest that you at least venture up Holly Mountain Trail, it has a great view overlooking the lake.
I ended up going for a day trip. it is only about a 2.5 hour drive from my house. I saw this post after. I ended up going down the Holly mountain trail. It was an amazing view. Wasn't able to find a secluded place to access the lake though. Ill have to go back soon.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
I ended up going for a day trip. it is only about a 2.5 hour drive from my house. I saw this post after. I ended up going down the Holly mountain trail. It was an amazing view. Wasn't able to find a secluded place to access the lake though. Ill have to go back soon.
Hey let me know if your going back. I've got some trails marked out. It took some time to get to the east side of the lake. Lot of locked gates. But we eventually got to the spot I found on Google maps. Secluded but you could tell some local kids partied out there. 20180922_184529.jpeg

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

Hey let me know if your going back. I've got some trails marked out. It took some time to get to the east side of the lake. Lot of locked gates. But we eventually got to the spot I found on Google maps. Secluded but you could tell some local kids partied out there. View attachment 96245
I don't know when at the moment. I want to find a really good camping spot on the shore so that my dogs can do some swimming. From the views I saw at Holly mountain it looks like my best bet is on the east side. I have already marked out a few trails that should get me there in Gaia GPS. My next planned trip though I think I am going to check out lake Ouachita.
IMG-0397.JPG

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
I don't know when at the moment. I want to find a really good camping spot on the shore so that my dogs can do some swimming. From the views I saw at Holly mountain it looks like my best bet is on the east side. I have already marked out a few trails that should get me there in Gaia GPS. My next planned trip though I think I am going to check out lake Ouachita.
View attachment 96265
Here is our spot on Google maps. Where it is circled is where we actually camped. It was a pain to get to with all the locked gates. But I have a route if you want itScreenshot_20190502-085904_Maps.jpeg

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
We drove down there then on the beach for a while going south. But it started getting pretty soft. There is some strange stuff out there. We had some wierd stuff happen lol. But if your not easily spooked by Blair witch type stuff its pretty cool

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

We drove down there then on the beach for a while going south. But it started getting pretty soft. There is some strange stuff out there. We had some wierd stuff happen lol. But if your not easily spooked by Blair witch type stuff its pretty cool
Lol. I think i know what you mean. That sounds cool. I wanted to go down the shore to the south a little ways and camp out. Not sure when but probably in June some time. If I could get that route from you it would be great. I planned a route heading north from HWY 70 takiing N4750 to N4757 to N4755, it seems like the most direct route. Im not sure which roads may be closed in the area.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
It's all hunting ground east of the lake. So it was kind of a pain getting in there. But I mapped it coming out. If you want send me a dm with your email.... or on here if you want. And I'll email you the gpx file

Reactions: kingofthehill29

kingofthehill29

Rank II

Advocate II

It's all hunting ground east of the lake. So it was kind of a pain getting in there. But I mapped it coming out. If you want send me a dm with your email.... or on here if you want. And I'll email you the gpx file
I sent you a PM.

Edit:
Thanks @Vandy, I received the GPX files. I look forward to being able to camp right on the shore of Broken Bow.

Last edited: