Off the grid rally east coast?

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

That would be cool! I'd be interested! I am in Indiana and would need some notice due to kids and work but I could maybe make something work..

Reactions: Matt_Whitman

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

That would be cool! I'd be interested! I am in Indiana and would need some notice due to kids and work but I could maybe make something work..
I would think most of us would be in the same boat in that regard. I have a three day anniversary getaway planned for this week and its been on the books for a few months. :grin:

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Happy anniversary. I imagine that there is some sort of legal permission needed if we want to associate Overland Bound's identity with the goings on. Also maybe event insurance.

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
Ha, thanks! I was wanting to post about in the trip planning section. Probably have to just post a summary afterwards. Lucky thirteen! We were babies when we got hitched. High school sweethearts and all. :hearteyes::hearteyes:

Happy anniversary. I imagine that there is some sort of legal permission needed if we want to associate Overland Bound's identity with the goings on. Also maybe event insurance.
Yeah I was thinking the same. Probably couldn't be an official thing.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I like the idea of doing something in different regions. Being in FL we pretty much have to travel a good distance to get to anything go anyway.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I haven't been there yet, but there is an off road park in SE Kentucky called Wilderness Trail. They say it is free access with about 120 miles of trails and open camping. It looks Iike some Jeep clubs run it every year or so.

http://www.bellcountykyadventure.com/#!wilderness-trail-off-road-park/ccfw
I
don't think it should be the whole trip. But it could be a part of it. It is near the Cumberland Gap between Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Could be a day/night part of a longer Appalachian trip.

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

I'm digging the idea. We should definitely include it. We could do like a hot rod power tour thing overland style. Visit a bunch of states along the way where folks could do the long haul or meet up and do smaller sections.

Last edited:

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thats how our group does most of our trips. Somewhat modeled after the Peterson's Ultimate Adventure with road days and wheeling days though we do our best to get as much dirt in on the road days as possible. Usually for each road day there is a day in a particular forest or off road park.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I love the idea and it is exactly what Overland Bound is all about! Get as many folks all over the world involved as possible! @CorrieOB and I talked about how we would do this. Time and resources are the biggest limiters, but lets say that wasn't the case...

--- Beginning mud-at-the-wall disclaimer --- :grinning:

The Off the Grid Rally was really successful not only from an off-road and learning standpoint, but also from a community standpoint. We worked hard to create the right environment, and select the right kind of terrain. We were also able to get moderate corporate sponsorship to donate for a great raffle (About $3,500 worth), and to help cover the costs of the event. That was key! If $ were no object, I'd work together with someone in your region to start setting it up, and I'd love to attend.

Regardless, I think it will happen some day...maybe even in 2016! I'd love for it to be an official Overland Bound Off the Grid Rally East, and it will soon enough, but regardless, you guys should get together! I love seeing OB members get together. THats what this is all about.

Let me know what I can do to help, or if I can answer questions. I see Off the Grid happening regionally soon enough, but OB has a little growing to do to make resources ($) less of an obstacle.

On a related note, we have also thought of having regional chapters. Have a representative of a region come out to CA and spend at least a weekend with us on an overland trip in the Sierras, talk about Overland Bound, and the community, and why we do it, principles etc. Then that person would be the regional chapter leader or representative, and be able to plan Official Off the Grid Rally's, or any other Overland Bound related events and uphold the community feel and principles outlined here: Guidelines

--- End mud-at-the-wall disclaimer ---

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

If I win the lottery resources would be no problem. Lol. Anyway, where I live in NH there are a lot of class 6 unmaintained roads from mild to wild. In MA I only know of a few legal places in the western part of the state. Generally New England has few places to go but if you belong to a club you also have access to some private lands. That being said there are plenty of scenic drives be it paved or dirt roads. Folks in this area are pretty protective of the few legal places we have left and are hesitant about sharing locations unless it is with responsible people/groups practicing tread lightly principles. I think contacting local organizations would be helpful with planning and also gaining members who share the Overlanding principles.

Reactions: Lipek

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey @Matt_Whitman @MarkW @WJ_David and others, if you do get together for an Overland Bound Off the Grid event, even if it is not the full-blown deal, let us know so I can send out some merchandise. I love the idea of members getting together, and i want to support that!

Matt, let me know how I might contact a local group, and how the local group and OB might work together. I am interested.

M

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Hey @Matt_Whitman @MarkW @WJ_David and others, if you do get together for an Overland Bound Off the Grid event, even if it is not the full-blown deal, let us know so I can send out some merchandise. I love the idea of members getting together, and i want to support that!

Matt, let me know how I might contact a local group, and how the local group and OB might work together. I am interested.

M
Will definitely let you know if we get something planned, thanks.