Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

I love the idea and it is exactly what Overland Bound is all about! Get as many folks all over the world involved as possible! @CorrieOB and I talked about how we would do this. Time and resources are the biggest limiters, but lets say that wasn't the case...

--- Beginning mud-at-the-wall disclaimer --- :grinning:

The Off the Grid Rally was really successful not only from an off-road and learning standpoint, but also from a community standpoint. We worked hard to create the right environment, and select the right kind of terrain. We were also able to get moderate corporate sponsorship to donate for a great raffle (About $3,500 worth), and to help cover the costs of the event. That was key! If $ were no object, I'd work together with someone in your region to start setting it up, and I'd love to attend.

Regardless, I think it will happen some day...maybe even in 2016! I'd love for it to be an official Overland Bound Off the Grid Rally East, and it will soon enough, but regardless, you guys should get together! I love seeing OB members get together. THats what this is all about.

Let me know what I can do to help, or if I can answer questions. I see Off the Grid happening regionally soon enough, but OB has a little growing to do to make resources ($) less of an obstacle.

On a related note, we have also thought of having regional chapters. Have a representative of a region come out to CA and spend at least a weekend with us on an overland trip in the Sierras, talk about Overland Bound, and the community, and why we do it, principles etc. Then that person would be the regional chapter leader or representative, and be able to plan Official Off the Grid Rally's, or any other Overland Bound related events and uphold the community feel and principles outlined here: Guidelines

--- End mud-at-the-wall disclaimer ---
OH hell yes!

Reactions: Michael

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Wow. I'm excited to see so much interest. Let's see if we can narrow down a few specific areas. I'm hoping to get as many people together as possible so the location is somewhat dependent on that. I am of coarse biased to New Hampshire since it's my favorite place on earth and am familiar with it. However I dare say it's a long haul for most. Perhaps more than one gathering is appropriate. Please post up your areas and opportunities to overland there. Time goes by quick so now the time to start.

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

I'm in. I could probably get free for maybe 3-4 days, I would think. When are we thinking, generally? Like Spring?

As for location, maybe since some of us are way up North (like NH) but others are way down South (like FL), we should aim for somewhere closer to the middle, like VA or WV? There are national forests there, and I know I'd love to visit. I've driven through so many times, wishing I could explore. I've been to several places in TN that are gorgeous, but I know that would be a long ride from NH. I've heard a lot about Windrock Park, but that's not really exploring, more just riding on trails on private property.

Anyone on here know a lot about VA/WV?

Reactions: RavLo

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

I haven't been there yet, but there is an off road park in SE Kentucky called Wilderness Trail. They say it is free access with about 120 miles of trails and open camping. It looks Iike some Jeep clubs run it every year or so.

http://www.bellcountykyadventure.com/#!wilderness-trail-off-road-park/ccfw
I
don't think it should be the whole trip. But it could be a part of it. It is near the Cumberland Gap between Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Could be a day/night part of a longer Appalachian trip.
This looks like an interesting place.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
If anything is put in writing, I'd be interested. My wife and I are planning a trip to the Appalachian Mountains this summer, but this could be more interesting. Or at least, we incorporate it into our trip.

RavLo

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm in. I could probably get free for maybe 3-4 days, I would think. When are we thinking, generally? Like Spring?

As for location, maybe since some of us are way up North (like NH) but others are way down South (like FL), we should aim for somewhere closer to the middle, like VA or WV? There are national forests there, and I know I'd love to visit. I've driven through so many times, wishing I could explore. I've been to several places in TN that are gorgeous, but I know that would be a long ride from NH. I've heard a lot about Windrock Park, but that's not really exploring, more just riding on trails on private property.

Anyone on here know a lot about VA/WV?
Seems pretty fair as far as location goes

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

We did an overland trip through VA and WV back in '14, it was great. Our trips tend to be a road day with as much dirt as possible to reach a destination such as an off road park or forest. Play for a day then road day the next. Rinse and repeat. One of the roads along our route was supposed to be an improved dirt road but much to our pleasure was far from improved. It was overgrown/rutted and took us along the bluffs above the New River with some beautiful scenery.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

You are not allowed to hold it in NH if I can't be there ;) I miss that place. Sometimes I wonder if moving was a good idea...

Reactions: Matt_Whitman

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'm in. I'll go wherever with enough notice and not around Hunting season, lol.

spiralinguru

Rank 0

Traveler II

Are y'all planning anything this spring? We should plan a trip in April or May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I've been plagued with migraines recently. Anyway, I've been thinking about the VA and WV idea and it seems to be the best option for allowing a greater number of people an opportunity to join in. Another aspect is that groups of folks from their respective areas could convoy to the rally point as an adventure in and of its own. It also adds security and peace of mind knowing we won't be traveling long distance alone. Sort of regional traveling rally to the main rally destination.