Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't been around for a while. I've been plagued with migraines recently. Anyway, I've been thinking about the VA and WV idea and it seems to be the best option for allowing a greater number of people an opportunity to join in. Another aspect is that groups of folks from their respective areas could convoy to the rally point as an adventure in and of its own. It also adds security and peace of mind knowing we won't be traveling long distance alone. Sort of regional traveling rally to the main rally destination.
Man I hate to hear that. Just experienced my first migraine the other day. It was absolutely horrible. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I'd be down for coordinating with you if want me to @Matt_Whitman. We could get the tracks together and arrange the routes that we could all meet up on along the way? We could also put out a few potential dates to see what might work. I would assume the first step would be to get a list going of who would be attending to get an idea of the size of the group. Then we could make a decision on where and how we would actually meet up.

Might just be more productive to have a couple of us planning it so it stays on track, yeah?

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

Man I hate to hear that. Just experienced my first migraine the other day. It was absolutely horrible. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I'd be down for coordinating with you if want me to @Matt_Whitman. We could get the tracks together and arrange the routes that we could all meet up on along the way? We could also put out a few potential dates to see what might work. I would assume the first step would be to get a list going of who would be attending to get an idea of the size of the group. Then we could make a decision on where and how we would actually meet up.

Might just be more productive to have a couple of us planning it so it stays on track, yeah?
Absolutely! Any and all help is appreciated.

Matt_Whitman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Claremont Nh
Member #

I was thinking after school is out for summer. I'll be bringing my son along and perhaps my wife if she gets time off from work.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

Just saw this thread. I'm in DE and would love to help if I can. My summer is a little chaotic but I'm here. The main difference between east coast festivals and west coast festivals (that I've found) is that east coast needs reservations much further in advance for anything outdoors. We're just jammed in so densely over here. But count me in! (Maybe, I'll see some of you at the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival too - already registered. I should get a t-shirt to represent.)

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I haven't been there yet, but there is an off road park in SE Kentucky called Wilderness Trail. They say it is free access with about 120 miles of trails and open camping. It looks Iike some Jeep clubs run it every year or so.

http://www.bellcountykyadventure.com/#!wilderness-trail-off-road-park/ccfw
I
don't think it should be the whole trip. But it could be a part of it. It is near the Cumberland Gap between Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Could be a day/night part of a longer Appalachian trip.
Wilderness trail is closing

Mountain state overland sells thier Maps for a few dollars, maybe good starting point?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Not sure how but I totally missed this thread. I'm tired of being jealous of OTG left coasters and would love to see something happen closer to home haha.

Reactions: Amartinez34

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

With the end of the year closing rapidly and most people have used up their vacation time who would be interested in having an overland event over Thanksgiving? Most of us will be able to get about 4 days off for the holiday and what better holiday to meet up with complete strangers from the internet.