Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Very interested. Timing is the only concern.

My current plan is to run the New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route from Dell City, Texas and finish in Antonito, Colorado. Dates are 3 - 11 September.

NMBDR.JPG

Flip

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Corona, CA.
Member #

I understand that the OfftheGrid Rally will be sometime in late Sept., for future rallies and thinking, is it possible to perhaps have them during the summer months or typically when school kids are out of school? I know not all school districts are on the same schedule, but I would love to take my kids and have this be a family Overland trip. Just a thought. Thanks.

-Flip
OB1468

Robby

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, Tulare County, California, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Jumping in here!

It's looking highly likely we'll be back at Camp Edison, and we'll expand into 2-3 group sites. There are two group sites back to back with each other, and the layout of the group site from last year is pretty much ideal for check-in, meals, big ole' fire, etc. @Michael l and I will be venturing back to Camp Edison soon to assess the best options.

Class:
The class would either be Thursday or Friday and would consist of an entire day of education and training in safety/first aid, recovery and communication on the trail. We're working on locking in world class teacher/trainers.

Logistics:
Something we will be doing this year is defining and assigning camping spots based on the rig (RTT, Tent, Back of the Rig). We'll have pre-numbered slots that we will assign as people register to alleviate some of the cramming and confusion setting up last year.

We're also playing around with rolling start times for different groups on the run up Baldy. Example: 8AM team, 9AM team, 10AM team. If we do this, we will need trail leaders for each wave, so there will be lots of opportunities for experience Overlanders to jump in and lead the way.

More soon! We're just beginning the planning phases for the event... and holy sh*t. I can't wait!!

AND...

Central, Mountain and East Coast Overland Bound Members.... Just you wait. We WILL be heading your way. It's on our map, so to speak. :tonguewink:
If you're looking for volunteers on trail leaders etc; This is my backyard, so-to-speak...Kevin and I have run this trail a few times. Basically, I'm raising my hand to offer assistance [emoji16]

Robby

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, Tulare County, California, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Gill
Member #

@Michael , you didn't want to try Buck Rock?
Not trying to speak for Michael but...
Buck rock doesn't have the camp ground setup like Edison does. Logistically there are way more hurdles to go through to gather 75 rigs plus personnel.

We could totally camp on the trail as it is all open camping and there are some great places we could gather a large pit fire and central campsite...but we would definitely have an impact on the trail and surrounding forestry with that many people. Especially when you take into account how many holes that would be dug off in the secluded areas...if you catch my drift.

Buck Rock is my favorite trail. It was my first and will always be my "go-to" choice for camping...I'm not sure it is long enough for this venue...

We'll that's my $0.25 (inflation)

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

There are 50 peaks named Bald Mountain in California. Hahaha
This is the trick to keep the numbers manageable...which Bald Mountain will it be?! The journey is the point, so maybe hitting up 30-40 peaks before finding anyone would be an awesome trip!!

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Not trying to speak for Michael but...
Buck rock doesn't have the camp ground setup like Edison does. Logistically there are way more hurdles to go through to gather 75 rigs plus personnel.

We could totally camp on the trail as it is all open camping and there are some great places we could gather a large pit fire and central campsite...but we would definitely have an impact on the trail and surrounding forestry with that many people. Especially when you take into account how many holes that would be dug off in the secluded areas...if you catch my drift.

Buck Rock is my favorite trail. It was my first and will always be my "go-to" choice for camping...I'm not sure it is long enough for this venue...

We'll that's my $0.25 (inflation)
No no, well said and good info to know. I've only cruised through there once and that was on the main maintained road. We want to go back to that area both with and without the horses.

Reactions: Robby