Off the Grid 2016 - Info Thread!

• HTML tutorial

r1_iceman

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Snohomish County
Member #

Looked around and haven't found any updated info for this years rally. Should I be on the lookout for an email or how are we being notified of plans and/or changes? Just over three weeks to OTG2 and would like to start the planning process.

r1_iceman

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Snohomish County
Member #

The One's in the back seat[emoji6]. Just wanting a better idea of the plan. This isn't just a couple of buddies gettin together and experience says that large groups need more organization[emoji106]

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm sad to let y'all know that we are not going to make the trip to the OTG Rally this year. Lots of little things combined make it not really feasible. A large out of pocket medical expenses for tests for what turned out to be nothing. A longer outbound trip to Seattle this year. (Which is a good thing. Claire wants to see the sites rather than just get to school.) Not taking her car to Seattle, so we'll be over-packed with apartment stuff, again. Packing camping gear in addition to her stuff just isn't practical.

I'm sure that we're going to miss a fabulous time, but I look forward to exploring more of the PNW, too. @maktruk , I put in a good word to @Corrie about the tickets being held for us.

Steve

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@r1_iceman You have the address of the camp and when to show up. That's about all you need as there will be a registration when you pull in to the group sites. I suggest you bring plenty of smiles because your going to have a blast!!!!!
If changes do occur you/we are on a master e-mail list that would get sent out for info.
Look forward to seeing you both!!!!

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Right? I've made more friends and acquaintances through this forum in the last year that I need to connect with right now that if I don't get in I'm gonna pull a Burning Man stunt and parachute in.
Better yet! Wingsuit!!!

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I'm sad to let y'all know that we are not going to make the trip to the OTG Rally this year. Lots of little things combined make it not really feasible. A large out of pocket medical expenses for tests for what turned out to be nothing. A longer outbound trip to Seattle this year. (Which is a good thing. Claire wants to see the sites rather than just get to school.) Not taking her car to Seattle, so we'll be over-packed with apartment stuff, again. Packing camping gear in addition to her stuff just isn't practical.

I'm sure that we're going to miss a fabulous time, but I look forward to exploring more of the PNW, too. @maktruk , I put in a good word to @Corrie about the tickets being held for us.

Steve
I appreciate that. A lot. Sounds like you were on the fence I hope my post didn't push you over any particular direction. I'd hate to think you missed something on my account...

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Hey guys,
We have been talking in the Norcal convoy forum about possibly having a small flea market Friday afternoon. I just want to feel it out before we say yes or no. Really would need people to bring items they are willing to sell. Interested? Think its a good idea?

Also , we have been chatting about possibly putting on small DIY classes on Friday too. @Mademan925 volunteered to teach a hi lift jack and a solar panel class. I will need to verify with him about exactly what time on Friday and if he still wants to do it. Any one else interested in leading a class or joining? Emergency first aid 101? navigation? other ideas?
Great suggestions!! We are including an official Vendor Village this year, and we have companies lined up as sponsors with the ability to sell directly to attendees. I'll DM you to hear more on what you're thinking!

And.... YES to your class idea. I've had a couple side discussions with folks, and because a good number of attendees consider themselves noobs, we're thinking of running a few 30-45 minute 'Intro to the Trail' sessions on Friday. Go over the basics. Start folks off on the good foot.

(We are still developing the Overland Bound Bootcamp series, btw! We want the immersive intensive format to be lead by the best, and it's going to take more time for us to make it right.)

Also, we are segmenting attendees into teams with designated start times for running the trail on Saturday. We're mixing in vets with rookies, and the goal is to have every driver supported on the trail.

I'm at Camp Edison/Shaver Lake right now casing the joint. The group site is big, gorgeous and my heart just about burst open imagining everyone all together.

It's happening!! :D

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Steve
That sucks, hopefully you can make it next year!

Reactions: Steve