[OB1375] 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock - The Rube Goldberg Machine

• HTML tutorial

Flopsy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey, just registered to say that I love the thread and the adventures in CO. I'm not sure how I found this thread on google searches on jeep stuff, but glad I did.

I'm wanting to leave and move out west (CO, UT, Tahoe) and this thread is making me want to go even faster lol. It appears you are loving it

Anyways keep up with the updates!

Reactions: ovrlndr

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Alright... It's been a while since I updated this thread, and a couple of things got my rear in gear... First, an almost-catastrophic-event cut a trip short (more to come on that later, but I have almost 2 years of the build to catch up on, so it really will be "later"). Second, I attended an OB meet up and met Michael, Corrie, and a slew of Denver-based members tonight. I figured given that I now have some unplanned downtime, I would get this thread rolling again, as I have made A LOT of updates in the last few weeks, and a lot has happened since we left off...

Reactions: r2fasani

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

So, first things first... Not too long after that trip to Colorado, I moved... to Colorado.

Almost immediately after getting situated, I rolled out with some guys I met on WranglerForum, who have turned into great friends of mine.

The took me out to Kingston Peak for an inaugural run to welcome me to Colorado. Later that same weekend, I did a leaf peeking run with some other guys from WranglerForum that I met up with during my first visit to Colorado with the Jeep.

Anyway, here are some pics...

Reactions: RootedWanderers

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Shortly after moving to Colorado, I decided it was time for a few mods that would make my life easier on the trail.

The parts for the first mod arrived damaged, so I had to sort that out; in the interim, I decided to do some adventuring and camping with a few new friends...

We took a trip down to Buena Vista, stopping in Leadville for lunch. We hit a few trails and even did a little night riding before making camp for the night... Beautiful area.

Mount Elbert, Colorado's highest peak, in the distance.

A shot of our camp in the morning, since it was pitch black by the time we made camp.

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Okay, back to the mods!

First up: Vector Off-road's JKE-Dock

It could not be a more straightforward, quick and simple installation! The idea here is to use RAM mounts, like you would on the handlebars of something like a KTM, to hold various electronics.

Here's a picture of the JKE-Dock after install, before I added anything to it; nice and clean!

Note: Since I'm writing about the past, I now know that the attachments have gone through several iterations and I'll be covering those iterations as I add to this thread.

I really like how it makes the tray on the dash effectively about twice as deep, as it allows for larger items to be stored, and keeps things from popping out while on the trail.

We'll revisit this mod a few times in the thread...

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Next up: ARB's On-board High Performance Twin Air Compressor

In hindsight, this has been one of my favorite mods. It's also saved my butt once!

A few friends and I threw together a wrenching party and installed 2 or 3 of these in our Jeeps in the same day, and it was AWESOME!

I used MetalCloak's under the hood mounting bracket, which relocates the horn to the same bracket as the compressor.

I ran a lead hose down to location at the front driver's side of the engine bay where we created a bracket using a Simpson tie and a speed nut and some grade 8 hardware. On this bracket, we mounted the quick connect that comes with the ARB hose that they sell for use with the compressor.

The lead hose is to dissipate heat, as several friends have reported that the smaller hoses can overheat and pop due to the PSI this compressor puts out.

Here are a few pics of the install:

It's super nice to be able to stand up and fill the tires :sunglasses:

Reactions: r2fasani

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

After the inaugural run with the ARB compressor, we had a little snow in the high country, so I did a little snow riding with a friend...

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Now we are getting to the point of "Black Friday 2016"... What better excuse to buy more parts?

My Black Friday (so far... I might be persuaded to order a few more items):
  • 8-switch sPOD SE (switch panel version, red LEDs)
  • ARB Premium Recovery Kit
  • Factor55 FlatLink
  • Factor55 Shorty Strap III
  • Maxtrax MkII (Red)
Only two of those needs to be installed, so we'll cover those next!

Last edited:

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Alright, we've got some installing to do!

sPOD and the first iteration of the radio setup...

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Before we get to the installation, here's a pretty picture of some fun that happened prior to the installations...

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Now, on to the installations...

First things first, I setup the RAM mounts on the JKE-Dock.

This is what I refer to as "Command Center MkI"

Next, I got the sPOD installed with the help of a friend. The instructions that come with the sPOD are great, and there are already many and more great threads on installing the sPOD on the internet, so I'm going to skip the step-by-step and just post a few pictures of the "final" installation...

At this juncture in the build, the only functional switch is the first one, which is hooked up to the ARB compressor.

This is what I refer to as "Command Center MkII"

Stay tuned!

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Next, I tackled the installation of the Factor55 FlatLink to replace my existing ProLink...

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

After getting the radio installed in MkI fashion, and getting the FlatLink installed, my parents came for a visit and I wanted to take them out in the Jeep. A friend of mine and I got some snow under the tires of our Jeeps and showed my parents the Switzerland Trail!

Here's a shot of the Maxtrax that I ordered on Black Friday... This shall also be known as "Maxtrax mount MkI" (all I'm using are a couple ROK straps to hold them to the spare).

The Maxtrax came in handy when I went snowboarding one day at Winter Park. The lot attendants said the lot was "full," so I asked if I could just take a look... :sunglasses:

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

So, remember that tire carrier mod I said we would be revisiting? The time is NOW!

I swapped out the TeraFlex HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Tire Mounting Kit (that's a mouthful) and the TeraFlex JK Third Brake Light Extension Mount Kit (another mouthful) for the AEV JK Tire Carrier (not a mouthful) and the AEV Fuel Caddy (also not a mouthful). What's up with the super long product names on TeraFlex's tire carrier? :tearsofjoy:

Nothing was wrong with the TeraFlex carrier, I just have some plans in the near future that will require I have about 10 gallons of extra fuel, in addition to a full tank in the Jeep, and the Fuel Caddy fit the bill for that. I also grew to like the design and functionality of the AEV tire carrier (fuel caddy, hi-lift mount, shovel mount, mast for work / backup light and antennas) after staring at 3 of them all the time when I wheel. What are friends for, if not to make you spend more money on your Jeep?

We had a wrenchfest at my buddy's house and installed two of the carriers (and one AEV rear bumper) all in a day's work. We're both happy campers.

Next, a friend and I wired up the magnetic base for the Baofeng's antenna. We ran it from the top of the AEV tire carrier's mast through the passenger side floorboards up to the dash.

And here's "Command Center MkIII" -- Some of you may recognize those switchbacks on the iPad Mini...

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Oh yeah, I got one last "mod" for the Jeep... Used my REI member's discount and dividend...

Also, no, I did not blow this cooler up in a fit of rage when YETI announced it was ending its group buy discount with the NRA (and a whole bunch of other organizations, which means it wasn't personal, NRA) even though I'm an NRA member... #dontbestupid

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

And, now, we have caught up with my build thread on WranglerForum, so I'll have to reference my Instagram account to see what order the build went in since we are still about a year in the past.

If I haven't mentioned them before, I'll mention them now...
Rubicon Goldberg: The Rube Goldberg Machine on Facebook
@rubicongoldberg on Instagram

The next mod was a set of Rigid Industries SR-M diffused backup lights. I mounted these on top of the mast of the AEV tire carrier, and ran some clean wiring through the tailgate door to the inside of the Jeep and down the passenger side, through the firewall, across the engine bay and over to the sPOD. Bright little boogers!