[OB1375] 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock - The Rube Goldberg Machine

• HTML tutorial

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Did you do your custom decal at pixeldecals.com? Solid match to the HR Rubicon hood decals.

Still playing with the first name that came to my head for my Jeep. Not sure if it's a keeper or if it's already stuck. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
UniqueGraphix on Etsy. They're GRRRRRREAT!

Reactions: r2fasani

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

The next installment of the build thread isn't a modification, it's a trip!

I was heading to Denver from Atlanta to meet some Jeep friends and explore some Colorado trails for the weekend.

The route I planned to Colorado took me from Georgia through Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas. I split the drive into two days and stopped over in Kansas City for the night.

On the way I tried to get a picture of either the state sign on the borders, or a picture that would otherwise depict the state.

First up... Tennessee!

I missed the state sign in Kentucky, so I took a picture of some Kentucky "bluegrass" (or that's what I'm going to say it was)...

Next up, Illinois (most horrible roads ever)...

Next up, I hit Missouri. Approaching St. Louis, I ran into a helluva storm. Winds so strong they blew me halfway into the lane next to me. Luckily, most people had pulled over to wait out the storm, and I had the road to myself for the most part.

I finally arrived in Kansas City...

In the morning, I crossed over into Kansas...

I made a quick pitstop in Kansas for a photo op...

And finally, I crossed over into Colorado!

The weekend's itinerary was as follows:
  • Day 1: Kingston Peak & Rollins Pass East
  • Day 2: Deer Creek & Saints John
  • Day 3: Red Cone & Keystone Gulch
Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

Man I seriously love your jeep and the way you wrote your build thread! It has to be my favorite vehicle on here for sure. Very well thought out build and that color is amazing!! You got a follower here. If you would like to check out an old XJ build thread that tries to think things out as well head over to mine titled Princess the 97 XJ... haha but seriously keep it up!

Reactions: ovrlndr

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Man I seriously love your jeep and the way you wrote your build thread! It has to be my favorite vehicle on here for sure. Very well thought out build and that color is amazing!! You got a follower here. If you would like to check out an old XJ build thread that tries to think things out as well head over to mine titled Princess the 97 XJ... haha but seriously keep it up!
Wow, thanks for the kind words Greg! Now I am encouraged to hurry up and get the thread more current! Lots of additions since I left off on this thread... plus I need to finish the Colorado Trip story and write about the trip I just took!

Will definitely check out the XJ!

Cheers,
Jason

Reactions: Greg Galbo

FN-2187

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Gerhard
Last Name
Erdelji
Member #

Sub'd. Not much overlap for me since I drive a Tacoma (named Finn since it's a TRD Pro Stormtrooper edition). Rube looks great and I'm really enjoying following along. The writing is entertaining.

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Sub'd. Not much overlap for me since I drive a Tacoma (named Finn since it's a TRD Pro Stormtrooper edition). Rube looks great and I'm really enjoying following along. The writing is entertaining.
Thanks! Would love to check out your build if you've got a thread? Love the Tacos!

Cheers!

FN-2187

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Gerhard
Last Name
Erdelji
Member #

Thanks! Would love to check out your build if you've got a thread? Love the Tacos!

Cheers!

Once I start actually doing some mods, I will start a build thread. So far all I've done was add a Snugtop shell and some bits and pieces (a center console organizer, the Factor 55 hitch receiver in red just like yours, Finns sticker to the back window, etc.).

I'm starting to do research on a new front bumper, winch, and lighting. Once I get closer to pulling the trigger I'll start the thread.

Looking forward to your next posts.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Love the build so far! The yellow color of your JKU is siiiiiick! I have a bit of color envy now.

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Love the build so far! The yellow color of your JKU is siiiiiick! I have a bit of color envy now.
Thanks!

Man a lot of activity today! I guess it's time I finished the Colorado road trip write up and got the more current mods up!!

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Yes!

I'm reading more build threads as a way to motivate myself to start one. If you post more updates, I can procrastinate on that longer since I'll have more to read!

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Alright, thanks to all the recent interest and activity, I'm making the effort to finish writing up the Colorado trip tonight.

As mentioned, the weekend trail breakdown was as follows:
A note here about day 1's itinerary: we started Rollins Pass, but turned back as one of the guys in the group had recently had surgery to repair a broken clavicle sustained during a mountain biking crash. He had just been somewhat cleared for off-road driving (he had a plate put in and activities that could jar him around were not recommended). Rollins Pass is littered with "baby heads" (rocks just poking through the road surface about the size of a baby's head that cause extreme vibration and are not fun to ride on even aired down to ~10 PSI).

Kingston Peak (Forest Service Road #353)
Kingston is an easy trail near Rollinsville and Nederland, about 8 miles in length, that climbs to just over 12,000 feet. It's a beautiful, scenic trail with views of James Peak. It also provides views of the Yankee Hill Network and can easily get to the town of Alice to check out St. Mary's Glacier. If you're in Colorado, or just passing through with your rig between July and September, it's worth the time.

In this shot, behind the Jeeps, you can see the iconic mailbox and rock house. It's good luck to bring a rock from elsewhere to add to the rock house.

Rollins Pass East (Forest Service Road #117) - Incomplete Run
Rollins Pass East is another easy, scenic trail about 12 miles in length that gets you above 11,000 feet and the timberline, providing great views in all directions. Rollins is the old train grade from the Denver, Northwestern, and Pacific Railway and, by its completion, the highest main line railway ever constructed in North America. When the Moffat Tunnel was opened some years later, the Rollins Pass tracks were abandoned, with the rails and ties being later removed and the road reopened (now known as Rollins Pass). One thing to note is that Rollins Pass East connects to Rollins Pass West (connecting Rollinsville to Winter Park) through Needle's Eye tunnel, but after a rock fall in the tunnel back in 1990, the tunnel has remained closed (illegally). Google something along the lines of "Rollins Pass closed illegally" or "Rollins Pass Closure Legality" and you'll find plenty of reading. There have been those that have fought the closure, but it seems not enough overwhelming support for reopening the tunnel has been shown. This is why we all need to continue being stewards and activists, pursuing this hobby of ours the right way (staying the trail, keeping our trails clean by packing out what we bring in, attending local meetups and town hall discussion, etc.) in order to keep our trails open.

Last edited:

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Deer Creek (Forest Service Road #FS 5)
Deer Creek is yet another easy, scenic trail about 4 miles in length, near Montezuma and Keystone, that gets you above 12,300 feet and provides spectacular views, summiting at the Continental Divide and connecting to several other 4WD trails in the area, including Saints John (and no, "Saints John" is not a typo). It's probably the easiest of the 4WD trails in this area.

Saints John (Forest Service Road #FS 275)
Saints John is an easy to moderate trail near Montezuma and Keystone, running along a high ridge with several steep climbs throughout. The north end of the trail takes you into the "town" of Montezuma. Why Saints John? Well, the first silver strike in Colorado was made in the area by John Coley, who founded Coleyville. A few years later some wealthy Free Masons bought up most of the mining claims in the area and renamed the town Saints John after the two patron Saints of the Free Masons, John the Baptist and John the Evangelist.

Last edited:

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Red Cone Pass (Forest Service Road #565
Red Cone Pass is a moderately difficult trail about 7 miles in length near the towns of Grant and Bailey that tops out around 12,800 feet. It provides incredible views in all directions once you are above the timberline, and is probably best known for the its extremely steep descent. There are a few obstacles along the way, one below the timberline and one above, but can be tackled easily by a capable vehicle and a good spotter. Wondering why it's called Red Cone? Check out the pics below...

The driver of the Jeep coming down the descent (Chris), put together this video of the group of us running the trail, with some drone footage.

Keystone Gulch (Forest Service Road #CR 175)
Keystone Gulch is an easy trail near - you guessed it - Keystone, about 8 miles in length. It takes you above the timberline at just under 12,000 feet and provides beautiful views of the Keystone ski area, the Breckenridge ski area and nearby Dillon. There's some mining remnants along the trail, and it's kind of neat that, at times, you're driving up ski runs.

And that concludes the wheeling portion of the Colorado trip!

Last edited:

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

On the way back from Colorado, I chose to go a different route, partially to avoid Illinois and its horrible roads, and partially to add new states to my list of those I've visited.

The route this time was Colorado -> Kansas -> Oklahoma (overnight stop in OKC) -> Arkansas -> Mississippi (needed to take a conference call, so I stopped to get the tires rotated LOL) -> Alabama (had to stop for a quick couple hours sleep - I was getting too tired to continue on safely, so ended up stopping at a gas station where a ton of truckers were also stopped) -> Georgia (grabbed some Waffle House and a coffee and booked it back to Atlanta).

Oklahoma state line

While this route took marginally longer, I enjoyed it so much, it was the route I used when my fiancée and I moved West. That, and I had a bunch of guns in the Jeep and felt like going through states more accepting of those than Illinois :)

Next up? More wheeling adventure pictures, then some more mods, then some more wheeling adventure pictures :)

Reactions: Moriarty

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Speaking of the move out West, that's pretty much what happened almost right after my trip out to Colorado.

Almost as soon as we got there, we were back out in the Jeep.

I ran Kingston Peak again with a different group of friends (but from the other direction), as well as Yankee Hill, before dropping into Alice to check out St. Mary's Glacier.

Later that weekend, we ran Schubarth Trail to catch some of the last of the Aspen trees "blazing" before the leaves fell.

Next up... more mods!!!

r2fasani

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Ripon, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Fasani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZQ
Great pics! Way to get out and use that Jeep! I definitely have to get out more...

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Beautiful! I really have to plan a trip to Colorado one of these days, I see so many awesome photos from the trails there