Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

All, @JDGreens will be running the show this trail ride. The team will meet at the McDonald's in Woodland Park at 0900 and will plan on leaving towards Rampart Range and Schubarth Trail at 0930.

For those of you wanting to camp, @JDGreens and several others will be camping overnight into Sunday morning.

View Rally Point

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Thanks @Fortis Overland. What about Schubarth Loop ? Has anyone done it before? It should be easy/medium but then it depends on how much snow there will be.
It looks quite long so we can just do a part of it or try do all and maybe take a lunch break halfway through.

HuddExpo

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado Springs, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0PSF
Thanks @Fortis Overland. What about Schubarth Loop ? Has anyone done it before? It should be easy/medium but then it depends on how much snow there will be.
It looks quite long so we can just do a part of it or try do all and maybe take a lunch break halfway through.
It's a great trail and I have run it many times in all conditions. It becomes rather difficult and can be a pretty long day if the snow is deep. I think its a good choice unless something different comes up.

Last edited:
Reactions: trail_runn4r

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

It's up to you guys! Keep in mind that Schubart can get pretty narrow in areas, so if you have full size rigs, it might get tough

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I want to know if we might want to met next to the McDonald's in Woodland park, and if the conditions are good for a trail run in the area those who want to can proceed up, to Schubarth loop or run further up Rampart range road so we can demonstrate the use of a winch if the trail proves to be to scetchy. We can also kick around future events, like an actual multi-day trip. Spring and Summer is just around the corner.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I sure had fun on the last trip and would love to tag along. Is Schubarth trail similar to the last trip in difficulty?

The reason being is I was thinking about bringing my F250 which I am setting up for overlanding. It is pretty capable, but no winch. That is a pretty hefty truck to have to winch out, unless you have a big winch.

If you guys are thinking about a difficult trail with a strong possibility of getting stuck and doing a lot of winch work. I can just bring my TJ. It all sounds fun to me. I just don't want to be a burden with the wrong vehicle.

Also, if you are planning on camping that sounds fun, but it is still Feb. I've camped plenty in early conditions and it can be brutal even when totally prepared. Just my two cents.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I would discourage you taking your F-250 as it is very tight, I have bumped into trees with my xj though it was in part to not paying close attention to how close it was. With snow and ice it would not be worth the risk.

Reactions: GetOutand4WD

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I would discourage you taking your F-250 as it is very tight, I have bumped into trees with my xj though it was in part to not paying close attention to how close it was. With snow and ice it would not be worth the risk.
Thanks for the head up! The little jeep it is.

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I'm starting to get worried now :disrelieved: lol

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

So I'm hoping that some are still considering camping overnight on this meet-up. I'm preparing for it. So stoked to do this for the first time to see what it's like. Winter is my favorite time to be in the mountains and I look forward to escaping to the hills when ever I get the chance. The ones who would like to camp please PM to get my cellphone so we can text or call to set-up the details and then we can post our agenda to this thread. Thanks David

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Hey guys, I've been MIA with our new kiddo, but it sounds like you guys have a plan generated. Want to send me the info for the trip and I'll update the Rally Point? I will not be attending this one, so I'm looking for someone to gather the troops, help with nav, etc.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Thanks Fortis Overland, I'm really looking forward to getting out , there are plenty of great camping spots either on the trail or further up Rampart road.

Last edited:

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

So I see only 4 people that RSVP to the event and I don’t think @RedRunner87 is able to make it.

Is anyone else coming?