OB Challenge Coins for our currently deployed members...

• HTML tutorial

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

So...a day or so ago I saw the post "What is a Challenge Coin?" in the OB FAQ section. The post explained how they could be earned or bought. After I read the post...I happened to glance over at a care package I was putting together for a new friend of mine and an OB member, @Gnasher_PNW . He's currently on deployment. Then I started thinking...there are probably other Overland Bound members who are on deployment...far from home, defending our country.

So I replied...and in so many words said, "Hey, let's give our currently deployed members a free coin as a thank you." It was soon pointed out to me that although my sentiment and heart was in the right place... the coins do, in fact...cost money + shipping. That's fine, I understand where that's coming from, cool.

So here's the deal...I am challenging all members that are enjoying their freedoms and time with their families to step up and donate what you can to help, whether it's $1.00 or $50.00 or whatever to send a Challenge Coin to our currently deployed members...to show our support, to show them we care, to give them a little piece of home. I'm putting my money where my mouth is...I will donate $50.00 + dollars to buy 3 coins for currently deployed OB members. Will any one else step forward? I totally understand financial constraints....people have bills, family, etc. That's why I'm asking for whatever you can donate, even if it's only a dollar. It all adds up. Thank You!

So, @Michael ... any way we can set up a fund to support this Idea?

Added from @Michael : Done! Thanks to @Gnasher_PNW for the awesome photo, wordsmithing, and creative input.

If you are a deployed, active OB member, go here to enter your contact details: Deployed List If you have any issues, DM @Michael

militaryCoins.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I'm in. I'll match that $50. How will this work? Thx to all who are serving or who have served! Your sacrifices are truly appreciated!
OUTSTANDING!!! Thank You! Not sure yet, I need to send a message to either @Michael or one of the moderators. I am working on that. Thanks again brother, you are awesome!!!

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

Way cool, Alan.

I am deeply appreciative of the kindness and consideration.

To all who are in on this, a strong thank you as well!

To my fellow service members currently deployed, about to deploy, or retired, thank you for your service and sacrifices!

Stay strong, wherever you may end up. Keep the faith.

You guys kick ass.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Way cool, Alan.

I am deeply appreciative of the kindness and consideration.

To all who are in on this, a strong thank you as well!

To my fellow service members currently deployed, about to deploy, or retired, thank you for your service and sacrifices!

Stay strong, wherever you may end up. Keep the faith.

You guys kick ass.
Thank you Ryan! You've earned it brother! Be safe...I'll talk to you soon.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I'm in as well please pm me any details you find out so I can contribute!! Anything to give service members a taste of home.
Thank You for your support! As soon as I work out the details with @Michael or @Corrie to set up a place to send the money we can get the ball rolling. We also need a list or tally of OB Members currently deployed. Any help from other members or moderators would be appreciated. Thank you again.

Reactions: pseebald

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

What a great idea. How many active members are deployed right now? (I am in too)!
Thanks for your support! I am currently working with @WJ - Firefly on a plan for anonymously buying coins to donate to currently deployed members. My current plan for identifying currently deployed members is to start a post asking members to list where they are deployed, name, rank, unit and APO address. Also, if any members know a member who is deployed they can add the deployed service member to the list as well. I'm also open to suggestions, ideas, or a better way to set this up.

Thanks again for all the support...OB members are truly the best!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
We LOVE this idea, and we will donate free shipping so that 100% of your contribution goes to coins, not getting them there! We'll set up a goal tracker to display in this forum. Great idea guys! What do you think the goal amount should be?

M

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

We LOVE this idea, and we will donate free shipping so that 100% of your contribution goes to coins, not getting them there! We'll set up a goal tracker to display in this forum. Great idea guys! What do you think the goal amount should be?

M
Thank you @Michael !! Free shipping is awesome...Well, $1000.00 dollars sounds like a good start, that'd buy a lot of coins for our deployed members. I'm still working on ideas to get the Name, rank, and APO address' of our deployed members. I'm thinking, just a thread that basically says, "Hey, we know you're far from home serving our country and as a member of OB, we'd like to show our support and our gratitude and send you an OB Challenge Coin!" "Reply with your name, rank, unit, where you are serving, and you APO address...and we will get your coin sent out to you!" Or something like that! @Michael , did you see the post from @spar10rob about a free coin die donation?

Let me know how I can help!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you @Michael !! Free shipping is awesome...Well, $1000.00 dollars sounds like a good start, that'd buy a lot of coins for our deployed members. I'm still working on ideas to get the Name, rank, and APO address' of our deployed members. I'm thinking, just a thread that basically says, "Hey, we know you're far from home serving our country and as a member of OB, we'd like to show our support and our gratitude and send you an OB Challenge Coin!" "Reply with your name, rank, unit, where you are serving, and you APO address...and we will get your coin sent out to you!" Or something like that! @Michael , did you see the post from @spar10rob about a free coin die donation?

Let me know how I can help!
OK, I have tested a "fund raising display" for the forums and it works.

I think its a good idea to get a list of names first. So if we have 10 active deployed, we don't raise $1,000. We would be holding funds that are not needed.

Can you create a list of active deployed and then once the number is known, I'll set the goal amount to the amount required to buy coins for all? Let me know what you think.

M

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

OK, I have tested a "fund raising display" for the forums and it works.

I think its a good idea to get a list of names first. So if we have 10 active deployed, we don't raise $1,000. We would be holding funds that are not needed.

Can you create a list of active deployed and then once the number is known, I'll set the goal amount to the amount required to buy coins for all? Let me know what you think.

M
Actually that sounds good...what did you think of the wording for the thread I mentioned? And...What's the best forum to post it in? I'm thinking this forum here, this way everyone will see it...members, supporters, everyone.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I agree! This forum would be good. You probably want to say, "we will add you to the list" instead of "we will get a coin sent to you" in case the fund-raising does not work out for whatever reason.

M