Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well I was but just got reminded it’s my youngest bday, at the moment I’m looking at possibly not this weekend but next, if not then I can just do it later. So idk if your down that soon but the end of may weekend looks good for me lol.
Bear lake has no weekend openings until the weekend of the 12th, that is why I went with the 12th.

Reactions: TxRanger3006

Stalspeed

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pensacola
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Stal
Member #

Wilderness Landing (my favorite) is also an option on the BW River. Great wide open FREE camping with great clean bathrooms!
So what I can figure out from a Google search is that Wilderness Landing is an Okaloosa County Public Park. Here's what it says about it:

"This 25 acre park tucked along the Blackwater River in the Blackwater River State Forest has a boatramp as well as picnicking areas, hiking, fishing and just plain ol’ watching the river roll by. Access off Hwy 4 from Barton Road, left on Corduroy Road, then left again onto Wilderness Landing Road."

It doesn't say anything about camping but you know for sure it is allowed? Maybe Sunday on our way home we'll swing by there and take a look.
I can guarantee you that you can camp at Wilderness Landing for free. May not say it and there are no specific/designated sites, but a nice open area with lots of tree coverage. Just pick a spot, post up, and enjoy the area. I and many of my friends have done it many times and also in LARGE groups. Not a lot of people know about, kind of a nice hidden secret!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I can guarantee you that you can camp at Wilderness Landing for free. May not say it and there are no specific/designated sites, but a nice open area with lots of tree coverage. Just pick a spot, post up, and enjoy the area. I and many of my friends have done it many times and also in LARGE groups. Not a lot of people know about, kind of a nice hidden secret!
Thank you sir, might swing by there this weekend to check it out and plan a camping trip there later this summer! Have to love a place that is free and you have access to the cool waters of Blackwater River, thanks again!

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Just checked and Bear Lake still has one tent site open for the weekend of June 12th if anyone wants to join us for a weekend of camping! Tent site 35 is still open, my boys and I will be in tent site 40!

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

So the next trip I’m planning is gonna be in either Cheaha State Park or Talladega National Forest or both. Dates I’m not sure about right now, but soon. It’s been too long and I’ve been itching to try out some new gear.

Reactions: Viking1204

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

I'm still here.....

I work weekends currently, or I'm at work on the weekends.....
I know how that goes, I got lucky and went into a new section and have weekends off now. Are you able to take a day on weekends? If we did a bbq at a state park somewhere for a meet and greet, we could just do an afternoon kinda deal.

Reactions: Viking1204

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
I know how that goes, I got lucky and went into a new section and have weekends off now. Are you able to take a day on weekends? If we did a bbq at a state park somewhere for a meet and greet, we could just do an afternoon kinda deal.
Were supposed to rotate here in a month or so which means I will have weekends off.

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

Good, we can take the next month to figure out the place we want and then solidify the date. Anywhere in particular that y’all would wanna do a day trip. I got games and what not to bring too.

Reactions: tractor to trail