Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Cars & Coffee in Marshall, Va. Commonwealth Classics is having a meet up on Saturday the 25th. 8am to 11am with a chance to win a Warn 10k winch. Check them out on Instagram or give Bill a call. Asking for a food donation to help out local families. I should be there, look for ugly guy with a white jeep. Several local breweries and some great gravel roads can be explored after if anyone is up for it. Bring gmrs or cb for comms.
it doesn't say where in marshall

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Cars & Coffee in Marshall, Va. Commonwealth Classics is having a meet up on Saturday the 25th. 8am to 11am with a chance to win a Warn 10k winch. Check them out on Instagram or give Bill a call. Asking for a food donation to help out local families. I should be there, look for ugly guy with a white jeep. Several local breweries and some great gravel roads can be explored after if anyone is up for it. Bring gmrs or cb for comms.
I found the location if it's gping to be at their location

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
It's been a while, forgot all about this thread and I haven't been getting notifications...Work has restricted be to 50 miles of travel, so I haven't been doing anything fun since January. However, I want to try to find some time soon. I read about a "Virginia Traverse" somewhere several months ago, but having a hard time finding it. Anyone have resources?

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

How was the C&C?

It's been a while, forgot all about this thread and I haven't been getting notifications...Work has restricted be to 50 miles of travel, so I haven't been doing anything fun since January. However, I want to try to find some time soon. I read about a "Virginia Traverse" somewhere several months ago, but having a hard time finding it. Anyone have resources?
Could be the VA part of the TAT (Trans-American Trail)? Or maybe you meant the Georgia Traverse (of which I am thoroughly familiar)? GAT kmz files are free as it's an unofficial trail; the TAT maps are not free. :(

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
How was the C&C?

Could be the VA part of the TAT (Trans-American Trail)? Or maybe you meant the Georgia Traverse (of which I am thoroughly familiar)? GAT kmz files are free as it's an unofficial trail; the TAT maps are not free. :(
Nope, it definitely was not Georgia and pretty sure it wasn't part of the TAT. The TAT starts in WV. I will do some more digging, but there was a small group of overlanders on here (not this thread) that referred to it. It may not be an official route, could have just been something they coined themselves, but it was sectioned in several parts. Again, could have just been trips that they put together. I will see if I can find the post again.

RedLeg

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Locust Grove, VA
First Name
Leif
Last Name
Henecke
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
The C&C event was an eclectic mix of vehicles... everything from overland rigs, antique Porsches, American muscle cars, classic Defenders and anything high-end in between. There were I think four OB members there and we had a nice series of conversations with some local dirt road exploration afterwards followed by lunch at a brewery in Haymarket, VA. We enjoyed making new friends and discussing possibilities for future trips.

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

Nope, it definitely was not Georgia and pretty sure it wasn't part of the TAT. The TAT starts in WV. I will do some more digging, but there was a small group of overlanders on here (not this thread) that referred to it. It may not be an official route, could have just been something they coined themselves, but it was sectioned in several parts. Again, could have just been trips that they put together. I will see if I can find the post again.
Damn, well let me know!

@everyone Anyone interested in caravanning to Richmond for a meet (whenever they end up setting one up)?

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

We should do Saturday camp site . Overnight . Just get together and some camo fire food fest. Than may hit flag pole in morning coming towards home .

Reactions: Brock Samson

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi. I'm new here and live in the Frederick area. I will keep my eye out on this forum for any updates on getting out on the weekend. I drive a stock Suburban (when I can keep it out of the shop) and normally just take it out to the Frederick watershed or around the Maryland/ Pennsylvania border.

Later

JP
Welcome! I'm technically your Regional Rep. I grew up in Hagerstown, but live in Northern VA now. Still new to Overlanding but have done a lot of off roading in parks and stuff over the years, but not here locally so I am learning. Been a member on here not quite a year and so far it's a good resource. There are a lot of people on here that know way more than me and it seems to be all about venturing out and seeing what you find, which I am still trying to FIND the time for ventures. Hope to schedule a meet up again soon though for those that are close enough to meet up in the DMV

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Great to hear. I thought it's best way just sit down drive around VA/WV/MD on gravel roads. We are definitely needed truck with winch as it's can be tricky some places. That would be great spot to find camping spots and some off road tracks .

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Great to hear. I thought it's best way just sit down drive around VA/WV/MD on gravel roads. We are definitely needed truck with winch as it's can be tricky some places. That would be great spot to find camping spots and some off road tracks .
Where are you thinking?

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Depends of people count . But it can be just near flag pole or Canaan valley but it's not many big camping spots , sleepy creek if lucky has big open spot. Maybe someone has better idea. Another place near Beaver dam area lots camp sites but don't remember if if has big openings . Someone got be know to fit dozen trucks with RTT or few with swags .

cgflyer

Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Depends of people count . But it can be just near flag pole or Canaan valley but it's not many big camping spots , sleepy creek if lucky has big open spot. Maybe someone has better idea. Another place near Beaver dam area lots camp sites but don't remember if if has big openings . Someone got be know to fit dozen trucks with RTT or few with swags .
I've never been to any of these so I'm interested wherever/whenever...but in my limited experience, I don't think we'd get a dozen rigs anyway haha

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Meadow knob is nice unless it can be really windy. At lake side entrance has few spots.

Well I think it needs date than see how many will go. Another thing is I thought will be Sat and Sun . So Sat get together and sun go home. Many people working on Fridays.

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ok, I spoke with the owners of Wilderness Winery on rte 3. They do buisness with us. The are happy for us to have a meet there. They said there are trails to ride and, even though they had never done this before, they would let us camp there. I told them i was thiking fall as grape harvest is approaching quickly. I would be up to meeting with some body out there if they want to look aroundand see what it's like. IDK quite how you could organize this on here as thre isn't a lot of activity.