Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

Nice, we were up that way yesterday; wife was testing out a new camera. Saw a few rigs rolling by at Big Meadows. Would have been nice to stop and chat but the weather turned to crap and dumped on us!

Reactions: Casper66

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Nice, we were up that way yesterday; wife was testing out a new camera. Saw a few rigs rolling by at Big Meadows. Would have been nice to stop and chat but the weather turned to crap and dumped on us!
We made it home before the rain thank goodness

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Hey all... I found this website looking for really any non-paved road in Northern VA given that all the GWNF trails are closed due to the pandemic. I've seen references to Clifton, Dumfries, and a few others but can't find more details. I'm only a couple inches over stock, so no rock-crawling for me. I'm itching to get some mud on the tires, so if anyone has any suggestions centered around Fairfax, VA please let me know!
I've been swamped at work the last couple of months and have had little opportunity to get on here, so I'm catching up on a lot of older stuff!

Your post caught my attention as you mentioned "non paved" roads. A site that I use a lot is gravelmap.com. It was originally created by cyclists to share gravel routes, but I use it to map out routes all the time. Like @JRElaxED said, Loudon County is LOADED with miles and miles of probably what you're looking for. You could spend days exploring that area, let alone everything else you can find on there. I'm in Alexandria and if you ever want to do some day trips, or weekend trips out that way, let me know. @JRElaxED is right down the street from me, and there's a lot more OB members around here as well!

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I had hoped we could have a get together this Saturday at the vineyard where I work. A friend of ours was killed and the memorial service is Saturday afternoon so we will have to do another weekend

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

I had hoped we could have a get together this Saturday at the vineyard where I work. A friend of ours was killed and the memorial service is Saturday afternoon so we will have to do another weekend
Sorry for your loss Casper.

I was told this is my free weekend to wheel. Anyone heading out this weekend?
This weekend is the opposite for me! haha

Reactions: Casper66

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

Yeah it doesn't look like a good weekend for me either now unfortunately. I don't think I have anything going on next weekend (18-19). Maybe we'll get more interest with a little more notice?

Last edited:
Reactions: Uberland

Brock Samson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Brock
Last Name
Samson
Member #

Anyone here mountain bike? I've been going 2-4 times a week to the river/resevoir trails downtown. I'm gonna head out tomorrow morning as well if anyone's interested.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hey all... I found this website looking for really any non-paved road in Northern VA given that all the GWNF trails are closed due to the pandemic. I've seen references to Clifton, Dumfries, and a few others but can't find more details. I'm only a couple inches over stock, so no rock-crawling for me. I'm itching to get some mud on the tires, so if anyone has any suggestions centered around Fairfax, VA please let me know!
I've been swamped at work the last couple of months and have had little opportunity to get on here, so I'm catching up on a lot of older stuff!

Your post caught my attention as you mentioned "non paved" roads. A site that I use a lot is gravelmap.com. It was originally created by cyclists to share gravel routes, but I use it to map out routes all the time. Like @JRElaxED said, Loudon County is LOADED with miles and miles of probably what you're looking for. You could spend days exploring that area, let alone everything else you can find on there. I'm in Alexandria and if you ever want to do some day trips, or weekend trips out that way, let me know. @JRElaxED is right down the street from me, and there's a lot more OB members around here as well!

On a whim, the missus and I headed out to hunt country using Gravelmap. Excellent resource...almost entirely accurate (a couple of paved stretches that were listed as gravel, but nothing major) and a great way to explore nearby areas. We’re looking forward to expanding our travels beyond the greater Middleburg area.

Contributor I

Frederick, MD, USA
First Name
JP
Last Name
Arnold
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi. I'm new here and live in the Frederick area. I will keep my eye out on this forum for any updates on getting out on the weekend. I drive a stock Suburban (when I can keep it out of the shop) and normally just take it out to the Frederick watershed or around the Maryland/ Pennsylvania border.

Later

JP

Attachments

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

Cars & Coffee in Marshall, Va. Commonwealth Classics is having a meet up on Saturday the 25th. 8am to 11am with a chance to win a Warn 10k winch. Check them out on Instagram or give Bill a call. Asking for a food donation to help out local families. I should be there, look for ugly guy with a white jeep. Several local breweries and some great gravel roads can be explored after if anyone is up for it. Bring gmrs or cb for comms.

Attachments