First Name
Shawn
Last Name
VDP
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBL679
We posted a new video / Overlanding Game called Trail Hunter
Trail Hunter combines two of our outdoor passions, Overlanding and GeoCaching. For those of you that are not familiar with the nerdy fun of GeoCaching, it’s a real-world outdoor treasure hunting game using a GPS-enabled device, problem solving and map navigation skills. We have left multiple caches Flagpole Knob, along with clues to where to find them.

Reactions: geekyadam

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

Hey all whats up, I'm jake, new to the community. Located in Centreville VA, have an 06 dodge megacab 1500 5.7L, its pretty stock at the moment since I've been collecting the parts and waiting to do it all at once. I'm swapping in power wagon axles so i can have e lockers and 4.56 gears, also have new syngery steering i gotta put in and a steering box brace. Waiting on my new brake lines to come in and i still gotta paint the axles. Trucks also getting a leveling kit and I'll only be running 35s. I'm going to try and put a lock out hub kit on this year to so i can get better mpg. The trucks so big that i don't really plan on doing super technical or tight trails since I'll be scraping the belly and doing a ton of 3 or 5 point turns in the tight sections. In these cases the truck gets parked at camp and i pull out the dirt bike so i can go on the harder trails with ease. I'm use to having to get off, spot people, get back on ride around them, do it all over again. I'm also cutting and fabbing a winch bumper to the truck so i can have a 12k winch on it, the truck weighs 7k-lbs and it'll help me in bad situations, but i always end up being the recovery vehicle since mine is sitting at camp as back up while I'm rippin on the bike. Other mods this year include roof rack, i just have to relocate the satellite radio to the front so i dont block the signal. And short tube headers for better low and mid range power, and a way to hard mount my spare tire and still carry 2 bikes. Looking forward to meeting for coffee and stuff, also have a budy who likes to moto camp on his dual sport and hes building a overland trailer to.

Attachments

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Hey all whats up, I'm jake, new to the community. Located in Centreville VA, have an 06 dodge megacab 1500 5.7L, its pretty stock at the moment since I've been collecting the parts and waiting to do it all at once. I'm swapping in power wagon axles so i can have e lockers and 4.56 gears, also have new syngery steering i gotta put in and a steering box brace. Waiting on my new brake lines to come in and i still gotta paint the axles. Trucks also getting a leveling kit and I'll only be running 35s. I'm going to try and put a lock out hub kit on this year to so i can get better mpg. The trucks so big that i don't really plan on doing super technical or tight trails since I'll be scraping the belly and doing a ton of 3 or 5 point turns in the tight sections. In these cases the truck gets parked at camp and i pull out the dirt bike so i can go on the harder trails with ease. I'm use to having to get off, spot people, get back on ride around them, do it all over again. I'm also cutting and fabbing a winch bumper to the truck so i can have a 12k winch on it, the truck weighs 7k-lbs and it'll help me in bad situations, but i always end up being the recovery vehicle since mine is sitting at camp as back up while I'm rippin on the bike. Other mods this year include roof rack, i just have to relocate the satellite radio to the front so i dont block the signal. And short tube headers for better low and mid range power, and a way to hard mount my spare tire and still carry 2 bikes. Looking forward to meeting for coffee and stuff, also have a budy who likes to moto camp on his dual sport and hes building a overland trailer to.
Welcome to OB and to the region. Looks like you have a lot of plans for your rig. I look forward to following your build and meeting you. Cheers.

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Heck if you have another bike I’ll ride the trails with you as designated spotters. I’m in a similar boat with my Tundra. It’s extremely capable off-road but technical trails around here are just too narrow generally.

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

Heck if you have another bike I’ll ride the trails with you as designated spotters. I’m in a similar boat with my Tundra. It’s extremely capable off-road but technical trails around here are just too narrow generally.
lol sorry, wife only lets me have the one. Being on the bike is pretty great though, i've had people ask for help on a bunch of my rides, going and getting a shackle or shovel, relaying messages between split convoys. I love it, the only reason i started looking at doing overlanding was so i could camp and ride easier.

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

Does anyone in here have a jeep rubricon around 2005 model year, with the electronic disconnecting sway bar? I have a power wagon disconnecting sway bar but i dont wanna wire it in. EVO makes a mechanical replacement for the jeeps sway bar, it removes the smart board and so it gets rid of any chance of electrical failure. i want to see if it can fit on a PW sway bar, they say they don't make one for PWs but since they're both chrysler i might get lucky and be able to fab a jeep one to work if its not a direct bolt on.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Is Anyone headed out anywhere in GWNF this coming weekend? My wife and I are headed out somewhere don't know exactly where yet although I'm prob going somewhere other than flag pole area been there too many times when I lived in Elkton .

Last edited:

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

i would try and go out but my wife is coming back from a work conference Saturday so we're gonna be catching up most of the weekend. sorry to miss it

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Overland expo is not far from that
Expo starts tomorrow for those that bought weekend camping passes. Lots of us from this area will be attending and a few of us are leaving early Thursday morning. Roof Top Tent Rally is next Fri through Sun. Both absolutely worth attending, especially if you’re in this area-it’s so close!

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

Did some axle work, prepped and painted. Used an hvlp sprayer and got a little too heavy on the coat, but I'm not trying to go for perfect so i think it'll be alright. Just help with some protection from the salt and chemicals in the winter. I used por15 degreaser and metal prep, then por15 paint that converts rust.20191012_124314.jpg20191013_162703.jpg

Attachments

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

Hi all! I am a neewbie here I just joined Saturday at the Overland Expo. I am in Culpeper Va, which is probably like no man's land here. I'm kinda wondering if I'm in the right place or is there a more local thread for me to be in?
Welcome! A few of us are in Fredericksburg, so you're not that far out.

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Welcome! A few of us are in Fredericksburg, so you're not that far out.
Oh cool. I'm a long time TW user I see you have a T4R. We had started a whole group for that area but not much happens. Where and how often does this group have meets or any other activities. I may go bac a fw pages and read through them but not 94 pages LOL. I'm hoping to find some folks that enjoy working on their vehicles and can contribute.