Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Can you guys tell me if I can camp right on the beach at chincoteague island or close to beach? I was thinking take kids on Wed/Thur during spring break. I know it's KOA and other camp grounds at Assateague island. Also on their website said no dogs on beach, is it right information.? I'm looking to camp one night camp ,maybe not right on the beach, maybe in dunes. Also someone said needs to buy year pass. Can you post a link ? Thanks

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Can you guys tell me if I can camp right on the beach at chincoteague island or close to beach? I was thinking take kids on Wed/Thur during spring break. I know it's KOA and other camp grounds at Assateague island. Also on their website said no dogs on beach, is it right information.? I'm looking to camp one night camp ,maybe not right on the beach, maybe in dunes. Also someone said needs to buy year pass. Can you post a link ? Thanks
Chincoteague and Assateague are separated via a fence. The logistics, pass, rules regarding pets, etc... are different. I think the best thing to do is contact their ranger station and ask.

ncd1284

Rank 0

Traveler I

Richmond, VA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Dodd
We stayed at the Chincoteague KOA last summer and tried to drive across the bridge to the wildlife refuge, but weren't let through because we had our dog. That KOA is really nice though... the kids loved it. There's a nice playground and also a decent water park (that you have to pay extra for).

Reactions: phlfly

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I got all info if someone will interested in the future. Only on MD side dogs are allowed and overnight sleeping on beach, but vehicles has to have within build in waste tank and toilet.

LaxBro

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Ok, so I tried for a good half hour to try and create a rally point, but it keeps trying to take me to facebook when I publish. Seeing as how I don't have a facebook account, I am posting it here in the good old MD/VA thread! I'm planning to drive out to Assateague Island for a day trip. Never done any beach driving, so it will be a first! The details are below:

Day drive at the beach, lunch, hang out, go home (or if you plan to camp, please feel free to make reservations at nearby campgrounds). Maryland side of the island allows pets.

On the Maryland side, a permit must be purchased at the ranger station, or you can call ahead and get it in advance via mail. I plan on calling them tomorrow and will try to get the permit in advance since there is still time.

The phone number is (410) 641-3030 for an application

Assateague Island Visitors center:
11800 Marsh View Ln, Berlin, MD 21811
Assateague Island Visitor Center

Assateague Island National Seashore Ranger Station:
Bayberry Dr, Berlin, MD 21811
Assateague Island National Seashore Ranger Station
Opens at 9am

Also check out their site for additional information regarding OSV permits, vehicle/recovery/gear requirements and driving on the beach:
Over Sand Vehicle (OSV) Use - Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)
http://www.assateagueisland.com/island_i...travel.htm

The plan is to meet at the visitor center and head over to the ranger station by the time it opens @9:00am so that those who have not purchased a permit can obtain one.

I will be on CB channel 16 for those with a radio. Hope to see some people there!
Newbie member (so new don't even have my member number yet!). I was following this thread as the Assateague Island trip sounds great. Do you have any post-trip recommendations to share? I will most likely follow your suggestion and reserve one of the drive-in sites preferably closest to the beach. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

@mark seifert , one thing to consider is that you can camp on either the ocean or bay side. The ocean side is obviously great because you're right on the water, but when we were up there a few weeks ago I would have personally preferred the bay side. It was incredibly windy on the ocean side, and there's no shelter from trees, brush, etc for the most part.

Bayside is MUCH calmer, with a lot more vegetation and shelter. However, once it gets real hot and humid the bayside is heavy with mosquitos. I imagine it wouldn't be too bad now.

Assateague is absolutely worth doing!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Newbie member (so new don't even have my member number yet!). I was following this thread as the Assateague Island trip sounds great. Do you have any post-trip recommendations to share? I will most likely follow your suggestion and reserve one of the drive-in sites preferably closest to the beach. Thanks for any suggestions.
Welcome Mark!
Assateague island, as it gets closer to summer, will in general draw in a larger crowd. I think our experience in March will be very different due to the weather and time of year. I would say go early as there is a 146 rig limit on the beach, make sure to air down to reduce tire spin on sand, bring sunblock (I forgot about this one).

We did have a few people suffer from overheating. Actually one of the guys that left early had to get towed out because he overheated (luckily he made it off the sand before getting towed).

Aside from that, just visit the online park resource page and read through the park's suggestions. And have a great time!

LaxBro

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Welcome Mark!
Assateague island, as it gets closer to summer, will in general draw in a larger crowd. I think our experience in March will be very different due to the weather and time of year. I would say go early as there is a 146 rig limit on the beach, make sure to air down to reduce tire spin on sand, bring sunblock (I forgot about this one).

We did have a few people suffer from overheating. Actually one of the guys that left early had to get towed out because he overheated (luckily he made it off the sand before getting towed).

Aside from that, just visit the online park resource page and read through the park's suggestions. And have a great time!
Thank you...this is helpful. It looks like the OSV is $90 (good for one year). I frequent Cape Henlopen and already have that permit so will have to decide if it is worth the investment.

Reactions: sabjku

LaxBro

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

@mark seifert , one thing to consider is that you can camp on either the ocean or bay side. The ocean side is obviously great because you're right on the water, but when we were up there a few weeks ago I would have personally preferred the bay side. It was incredibly windy on the ocean side, and there's no shelter from trees, brush, etc for the most part.

Bayside is MUCH calmer, with a lot more vegetation and shelter. However, once it gets real hot and humid the bayside is heavy with mosquitos. I imagine it wouldn't be too bad now.

Assateague is absolutely worth doing!
Great points...either way i guess bring the bullfrog! I had not considered the bay side. Thanks!

Reactions: sabjku