US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Who's going to be interested in going this weekend to camp and do Peters Mill Run/Fort Valley area?
Might wanna call one of the stores that sell the permits..

Guy's on another forum tried going about 2 weeks ago, and with the Gov. shut down.. Permits were not being sold because of the park system being wrapped up in said shut down.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Might wanna call one of the stores that sell the permits..

Guy's on another forum tried going about 2 weeks ago, and with the Gov. shut down.. Permits were not being sold because of the park system being wrapped up in said shut down.
Good call.....I just phoned the convenience store right there at Woodstock Tower Rd. The PMR trails and the top of Woodstock Tower Rd are both closed. Woodstock Tower Rd. generally closes in the winter anyway, which is no big deal because you can still access PMR right before the gate that shuts down the Woodstock Tower access. I also found out that Elizabeth Furnace campground is closed as well. All of the dispersed campsites may have access but will need to check a bit further into this as they are along some forest roads as well, which may or may not be open.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

Good call.....I just phoned the convenience store right there at Woodstock Tower Rd. The PMR trails and the top of Woodstock Tower Rd are both closed. Woodstock Tower Rd. generally closes in the winter anyway, which is no big deal because you can still access PMR right before the gate that shuts down the Woodstock Tower access. I also found out that Elizabeth Furnace campground is closed as well. All of the dispersed campsites may have access but will need to check a bit further into this as they are along some forest roads as well, which may or may not be open.
Also, looking at the weather, we may be in for another bout of snow or wintry mix this weekend. Just something else for everyone to keep an eye on.

I’m in if other folks still plan on going, it may just be a bit of a sufferfest. I’ve got seat heaters.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Just joined the forums, would like to get involved in the Northen Virginia area overland group and meet some other like minded individuals. Totally new to overlanding but have a rig that was built for it. Would love to hear about how i could go about getting involved?
Welcome from Alexandria. You're in the right spot. We are active, with lunches on the weekends, dinner/drink meetups occasionally during the week, and trips. Frequent this thread, and checkout the Rally Points and you'll see them pop up. You'll notice a few posts above yours conversation we had before an outing last weekend. There will be plenty more to come!

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Just joined the forums, would like to get involved in the Northen Virginia area overland group and meet some other like minded individuals. Totally new to overlanding but have a rig that was built for it. Would love to hear about how i could go about getting involved?
Welcome welcome! What are you driving?

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

MAOF is okay. That's where Wook and I met a couple years ago. Didn't go last year because was pretty busy. Maybe this year but too far out to tell now. The OEX trainer guys are there.

Reactions: sabjku

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
MAOF is okay. That's where Wook and I met a couple years ago. Didn't go last year because was pretty busy. Maybe this year but too far out to tell now. The OEX trainer guys are there.
I looked at some review videos after posting and it did not seem to impressive for the price point. Specially when they started talking about the classes.

Reactions: sabjku

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I looked at some review videos after posting and it did not seem to impressive for the price point. Specially when they started talking about the classes.
Yeah I'm not sure I agree with the price point but it's a decent sized deal on the east coast so I'm always interested. If they updated the classes and maybe lowered the price I'd be more likely to go.

Reactions: AG Sheep and sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I would imagine that MAOF will be almost double in size this year compared to last year, if not bigger, only because the community is growing at an incredibly fast pace, and so many more people are hearing the term, and learning about, overlanding. For example, the Roof Top Tent Rally this year by BROG.....almost 3 times the size from last year!